Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 08:25 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,520 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and after having my home on the market for months and tons of open houses I discovered that the realtor was not advertising my Open Houses in the newspaper. He would put a sign up on the street with the arrow. When I confronted him I said I was totally shocked it wasn't advertised his response was "why would you think I would put it in the paper?" Is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I think in many areas it is common to eschew print advertising. Newspapers are going the way of the buffalo, soon to be going the way of the dodo.

Your agent should be well aware of the local norms in your area, and should be able to discuss them with you.

I would expect the Open House to be noted in the MLS, and on Craigslist at minimum, though.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
ld expect the Open House to be noted in the MLS, and on Craigslist at minimum, though.

He didn't use any of them either.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I haven't done print media in about five years, but Realtor.com, the MLS, my website, my blog, craigslist, et al..there are a myriad of places to publicize an open house. I wouldn't be so worried about the lack of newspaper advertising because it is going to way of the dodo bird for real estate agents, but he should be online everywhere.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I haven't done an open house in 2 years. They are largely ineffective anyway since .01% of homes are sold at them. Mainly, they are a way for agents to try and pick up new clients and to please the seller.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I haven't done an open house in 2 years. They are largely ineffective anyway since .01% of homes are sold at them. Mainly, they are a way for agents to try and pick up new clients and to please the seller.

Thats very interesting. I guess thats why I found flyers of other peoples homes (during my open house) he was just drumming up business for himself.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I live in Florida and after having my home on the market for months and tons of open houses I discovered that the realtor was not advertising my Open Houses in the newspaper. He would put a sign up on the street with the arrow. When I confronted him I said I was totally shocked it wasn't advertised his response was "why would you think I would put it in the paper?" Is this common?
Welcome to realtor promissing land....after signing and not having able to sell within 2 weeks...you are forgotten and you can do it your self since most sellers use the same websites as realtors...you can use the MLS by using a flat fee broker or just use other websites and be very active. News papers are almost history but if nowhere an open house is listed, and you aren't on a busy road or nearby, than forgot about it and don't waste any more time.

You need a buyers agent with a potential buyer...and maybe your self if you think you can handle it or a realtor who is active...specially in todays market and the most important part....good listing price and description of your house!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Welcome to realtor promissing land....after signing and not having able to sell within 2 weeks...you are forgotten and you can do it your self since most sellers use the same websites as realtors...you can use the MLS by using a flat fee broker or just use other websites and be very active. News papers are almost history but if nowhere an open house is listed, and you aren't on a busy road or nearby, than forgot about it and don't waste any more time.

You need a buyers agent with a potential buyer...and maybe your self if you think you can handle it or a realtor who is active...specially in todays market and the most important part....good listing price and description of your house!
I don't think that's the case at all. If the house was forgotten he wouldn't be doing open houses. It's better than nothing. Secondly, there is a difference between flat fee and traditional marketing, if you hire wisely. Not everyone can do it by themselves. There is a lot of legal issues and liability involved in selling a home.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
I am a Realtor and I've done open houses with and without advertising. I have sold a couple of houses via an open house. There is no one correct answer.

Results from an open house varies. If the location can capture traffic, there may be no need to advertise. Print advertising, esp. newspaper, is becoming a less and less effective tool. There's so much on-line adverising - some MLS systems even have open house info. But nothing beats traffic - real people walking in the door.

The location of the house makes all the difference but drive by traffic is the best for an open house. That said, drive bys are usually unqualified buyers - they usually don't have funding in place, etc. The best buyer is pre-approved (loan is pre-approved) and is using a Realtor.

Open houses are an excellent source of obtaining leads for the listing agent. I've picked up dozens of buyers and sellers via open houses.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Thats very interesting. I guess thats why I found flyers of other peoples homes (during my open house) he was just drumming up business for himself.
Open houses may be more effective where you're from. Locations vary. For instance, in some area's print is completely worthless, some areas it works. Open houses by and large don't work well but in some places they do. Ask your agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate