Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 AM

960 posts, read 1,167,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
So I was wondering if it is wise to get more bang (larger house with more features) for the buck while the prices are so low?
Of course "low" is relative. Prices in most places are still a lot higher than they were in 1995, when I bought my last house, yet the economy is in way worse shape now than it was in 1995.

Other than the good advice above, I suggest you think hard about the opportunity cost of buying a larger house. Say you pay $10K more for a bigger garage. That's $10K plus 30 years' of interest, probably always higher property taxes, and more roof to replace someday. Maybe $30K total in today's dollars. Add in interest you could have made on that money, subtract the $10K the extra garage is worth when you sell, and you might have to work a few months longer before retiring. (The house may appreciate, but historically not at a higher rate than inflation in most places.) So, in this example, would you rather have more garage space for stuff, or retire a few months earlier?

IMO the best feature to pay extra for is location. No more house than you need, in the best location you can afford, is the best housing investment you can make.

Last edited by Heiwos; 04-04-2009 at 02:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate