Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,458 times

Advertisements

I know that the Shiller guy from yale has a real estate index. I have tried looking online, but was not able to find historical real estate prices by year and by state. Does anyone know where this info can be found? I think the real estate market in the us increases by about 3-4% per year but have no solid evidence of this.

Also I have heard that there is some controversy to the Shiller index because it is based on scant historical data and there are problems taking into account inflation any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
The U.S Census Bureau has a lot but they are always a year behind except for certain things. Census.gov

http://www.census.gov/const/www/newresconstindex.html This link says the Construction industry will have New Housing starts thru April 2009 announced later this month.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
the Case-Shiller index only tracks 20 metro areas nationwide. If you're lucky enough to be in one of those 20, you can find the data they publish at S&P | Indices > Alternative Indices - S&P/Case-Shiller® Home Price Indices - Home Price Values.

If you're in another area, you can look at the information from the FHA (fhfa.gov). Click on the "House Price Index" along the top of the page. This index is less useful than Case-Shiller for several reasons, but on the plus side it's available for every metro area in the nation. For all it's flaws, unless you're willing to pay a lot of money to someone like First American (loanperformance.com) it's probably the best you're going to get.

I'd look at who pays the bills of the people complaining about the Case-Shiller index before taking those complaints too seriously. Obviously the National Association of Realtors isn't going to be happy with a measurement that shows prices dropping at 15% a year - but that doesn't mean the measurement is wrong.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
the Case-Shiller index only tracks 20 metro areas nationwide. If you're lucky enough to be in one of those 20, you can find the data they publish at S&P | Indices > Alternative Indices - S&P/Case-Shiller® Home Price Indices - Home Price Values.

If you're in another area, you can look at the information from the FHA (fhfa.gov). Click on the "House Price Index" along the top of the page. This index is less useful than Case-Shiller for several reasons, but on the plus side it's available for every metro area in the nation. For all it's flaws, unless you're willing to pay a lot of money to someone like First American (loanperformance.com) it's probably the best you're going to get.

I'd look at who pays the bills of the people complaining about the Case-Shiller index before taking those complaints too seriously. Obviously the National Association of Realtors isn't going to be happy with a measurement that shows prices dropping at 15% a year - but that doesn't mean the measurement is wrong.
That is good information. I was surprised by how difficult it was to get reliable housing information, I kind of thought it would be as available as stock quotes. But it doesnt seem like it is compiled regularly, but I guess there is no incentive for someone to publish this information for free.

How do most real estate professionals get this information? I was looking into the profitability of buying a house but wasnt sure what appreciation assumption to use. It is hard to determine profitability for buying a house for this reason.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
That is good information. I was surprised by how difficult it was to get reliable housing information, I kind of thought it would be as available as stock quotes. But it doesnt seem like it is compiled regularly, but I guess there is no incentive for someone to publish this information for free.

How do most real estate professionals get this information? I was looking into the profitability of buying a house but wasnt sure what appreciation assumption to use. It is hard to determine profitability for buying a house for this reason.
In some places the data is relatively easily available. In Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson reasonable records are kept and published by the Real Estate Boards. However in other places they are secret. I don't really know why but that is how they do it.

I like Case Shiller. I doubt that NAR has any particular problems with CS. The rule of any such metric is to show the truth. CS is one of those.

When one takes into account appreciation you cross the line from investor to speculator. There is no particular reason to believe that prior appreciation indicates future appreciation as the last year or so has demonstrated. On a five year basis virtually the entire SW is negative. And that is only made worse by including inflation. I would expect the next five to be better...but who knows?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I like Case Shiller. I doubt that NAR has any particular problems with CS. The rule of any such metric is to show the truth. CS is one of those.
Criticism of Case-Shiller earns two pages out of 20 in the NAR's most recent set of talking point for marketing themselves. "Affirming the NAR's Credibility" only gets one page. I'd say they have some problems with it.

http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/cba8180049a0e5f88a8efa6a88115b0f/news_media__SurroundSoundToolkit3.pdf?MOD=AJPERES& CACHEID=cba8180049a0e5f88a8efa6a88115b0f (broken link)

Actually, this PDF is interesting for lots of other reasons as well. It's interesting to see where many of the realtor-speak originates from.

I do understand that not all realtors agree with all of the positions of the NAR as a group.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
Personally, I think the National Association of REALTORS® has done more to hurt the reputation of its agents than help them. Anytime an agent waves their REALTOR® flag, I take everything they say with a pound of salt and/or run the other way.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 AM

353 posts, read 1,021,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Criticism of Case-Shiller earns two pages out of 20 in the NAR's most recent set of talking point for marketing themselves. "Affirming the NAR's Credibility" only gets one page. I'd say they have some problems with it.

http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/cba8180049a0e5f88a8efa6a88115b0f/news_media__SurroundSoundToolkit3.pdf?MOD=AJPERES& CACHEID=cba8180049a0e5f88a8efa6a88115b0f (broken link)

Actually, this PDF is interesting for lots of other reasons as well. It's interesting to see where many of the realtor-speak originates from.
I'm not sure what is so wrong with what this document.... tell me what is wrong or dishonest about this...

prices are down
the $8K credit is good
interest rates are at record lows....

Realtors provide expertise in the market place... yes, some of us are better then others... but GOOD Realtors know markets

Realtors provide access to potential buyers and huge web presence that sellers can't get on their own...

Realtors give info on areas to buyers who are relocating and have no idea of where to start.

SO... What's wrong with the points in the memo????

Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,603 times
Yeah, I didn't have many issues with ths document, although they do say real estate is local, then they go on and paint a broad brush about local markets. They probably could have done a better job at some of their answers, but overall I didn't have issues with it...I thought it would be helpful to REALTORS.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, I didn't have many issues with ths document, although they do say real estate is local, then they go on and paint a broad brush about local markets. They probably could have done a better job at some of their answers, but overall I didn't have issues with it...I thought it would be helpful to REALTORS.
The statement below kind of paints a too rosey picture..

Over 10 years, a $10,000 investment in the stock market at a normal 10 percent market
rate of return would yield $23,600. The same investment as a down payment on a
$200,000 home at a normal appreciation rate of 5 percent would return nearly five times
the stock market return, at $110,300.

What 5% return are you referring too where has this happened?

Unfortunately you need to pay 1.5% in property taxes. 1% in upkeep and another 0.5% in insurance. So the 5% (which is not even accurate) is whiddled down to about 2%, that doesn't even beat inflation.

Also...

- 6% commission to sell
- Mortgage insurance
- Points to get mortgage and closing costs

Really your net profit is

(1.05)^10 *200,000 *(1-.06 commission to sell) - 0.03*200,000 * 10 - 40$*12*10 (PMI insurance) - 1,000 (closing costs) = 246,948

You are also paying interest on the mortgage...

YOU LOSE 31,000$ !!! at the end of 10 years. The above statement that you make 10x the amount in stocks is complete crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate