Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM

94 posts, read 225,126 times

Advertisements

You had to sign a contract promising to use her as your realtor? Is that normal? I never did that. I assume that whoever finds you a house that you like is the one who will get the commission for it . We used 3 different real estate agents. The first one did not appear to have time to really put us first. We only had 2 weeks to buy a home and had no time to waste waiting for someone to "get back to us" and then never call. She also would send us listings of homes that were not even close to what we described as what we were looking for . So we just called someone else. This person was nice but also seemed too busy. We just simply called around to realtors and the ones who wanted our business made a point to treat us well, and send us listings constantly and answer all our calls. The real estate agent that found our house was always available, and sent only listings that filled our criteria and showed us any house whenever we wanted. I think you should only go with a real estate agent that meets all of your criteria. If not, just go to someone else. That is my advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee4me View Post
You had to sign a contract promising to use her as your realtor? Is that normal? I never did that. I assume that whoever finds you a house that you like is the one who will get the commission for it . We used 3 different real estate agents. The first one did not appear to have time to really put us first. We only had 2 weeks to buy a home and had no time to waste waiting for someone to "get back to us" and then never call. She also would send us listings of homes that were not even close to what we described as what we were looking for . So we just called someone else. This person was nice but also seemed too busy. We just simply called around to realtors and the ones who wanted our business made a point to treat us well, and send us listings constantly and answer all our calls. The real estate agent that found our house was always available, and sent only listings that filled our criteria and showed us any house whenever we wanted. I think you should only go with a real estate agent that meets all of your criteria. If not, just go to someone else. That is my advice.
How do you advise the OP to go about documenting the agents' expected baseline compensation as required in North Carolina?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
I believe that all Realtors and Reaal estate agents are professionals and they have always and despirately need the consumer to believe in them...SO if you sign a contract expect the best otherwise who needs a person who will not inform you? I surely don't and if you need them to contact you every other day then just let them know ahead of time. Yes, their time with you is not producing money in their pocket but since they are professionals they must act professionally and always get back to their customers on your time never their time....

If one never called us they would be out...Period....They broke the contract not us because I would have our contract voicing our minimum standards and one would be 24hrs or else we would demand to look elsewhere for someone who is dependable.

Now what do the agents or realtors think of this message? If you want to be treated as a professional then act as a professional....

I do get a tad angry when I read of agents and realtors who treat their customer as if they didn't care when their customers future living quarters are at stake... How could they???

I believe that is there is anything they did not perform is in the signed contract then they become very liable.... Sorry realtors and agents but the truth sometimes hurts the good ones too...Wouldn't it be great if the good agents and realtors discover who is not good for their profession and square them away before the customer reviews their problems?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
"Either party may terminate this agency agreement at any time prior to location of a suitable property."
I never propose an agency agreement without that provision.
It covers a LOT of concerns.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
I meant to say she never faxed the paperwork to the broker.

No, I haven't signed a contract with her. We were supposed to do that the first time we went out.

The realtor said she was a broker, but then she recommended me to someone else. I don't know how typical this is.

You all are correct. At this point, I am wondering if this is just bad luck (not really) or if this is some sort of sign, lol.
Given you are a first time buyer, I am thinking terminology is clouding the issue.

Real estate agents do not run credit reports on their potential or actual clients. Real estate agents do not forward " paperwork" to real estate brokers or recommend other real estate brokers.

Getting pre-approved for a mortgage is a critical initial step in the process. It sounds like " she" is a mortgage broker or perhaps taking loan applications on behalf of a lender. She may or may not also be a real estate agent.

It sounds like you have yet to get pre-approved for a mortgage and therefore she is not showing you properties. Why she is not communicating with you remains a mystery.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
Consider finding a buyers agent to work with. These agents only sell houses, they do not take listings. Also they typically work in a brokerage that only works with buyers. That way they do not have any conflicts of interest to push houses they have listed or those listed by their brokerage or their buddy in the next cubicle. If you get an agent that is not responsive to your needs it is definitely time to move on.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
yes, find another agent. No need to waste time in this market over-analyzing the situation. You're in control... Do it tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Do not waste your time. You sound like me! I am on my second realtor. The first one was useless and never even bothered to call me or email me regarding that she literally MOVED to a diff. location and address! I was so turned off I told her basically ok...we aren't extending this contract with you. You suck. LOL. No , I didn't say the latter but wanted to.

We are now on our second realtor. I called her after not hearing from her last week, then we start talking, about a minute later, she said "who is this?" after I told her my name!! I said, your client>?"!! Then she tells me she has been in FL for some time now. Gee, thanks for letting me know!! Just shoot me an email or something.. I then emailed her *after being really p,o.'d at her and asked who would be taking her place if we had a showing since she wasn't going to be around? She says...if there is an offer on the table, then I would be called!!! WOW. Nice!! Some of these realtors are the most lazy people I have seen!!

Go with your gut. Drop her/him. Too many others out there. These realtors are going frm bad to worse..! for me, anywaY!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
I myself am contemplating switching realtors. I have been searching for homes since early April (went through my employer to get a preferred mortgage company, who referred me over to two real estate companies from which to select.

Met this lady and though I don't believe I signed an exclusive arrangement to work with her, I just don't feel like I'm a top priority with her. Example, about 6 to 8 weeks into going out to see homes, she then asks me if it would be helpful to send me automatic MLS listings in the neighborhood that interests me. Why did she wait so long?

I have seen about 30 properties, made 3 offers and lost all three. Now starting to expand my search in other towns/area's and feel like she's judging me now "you're all over the place now" in terms of me expanding my search area. I don't need the comments....shut your mouth and if I see a property I like, then show me. I don't want to have to wait a week to see it. Granted, I could definitely be more active in driving to new towns to explore rather than wasting both of our times (which I will do today) in showing me homes where I am not going to like the neighborhood.

Another part that frustrates me in this whole process is that on their website, I can't see houses that are on "show" - they don't update nor do I see if houses that are on short sale. So essentially I can waste time saving houses to my favorites and emailing her the ones that I like, only to find out they're essentially "taken".

I emailed her early this week and she said to let her know when I woul like to go out to see these homes. Emailed her 10 houses - only 2 were available to see. Called her yesterday (Friday) and she said she's going away for the weekend. Why couldn't she let me know this? I have all the time this weekend to look at homes and am left twittling my fingers........

I just don't think she is being pro-active in helping me find a home - in fact, she really never has asked me what I'm looking for and I sense frustration from her perhaps in showing me many properties (when I have submitted 3 offers though)

Is it too much for me to expect that if I give an agent notice that i want to see a home, what is an acceptable turn around period for us to see the house? 48 Hours, 72 hours?

am thinking of firing her and working with a new agent and putting my cards on the table upfront with my expectations....

suggestions are appreciated very much (you can also email your suggestions/idea's at [EMAIL="ellisvpp@yahoo.com"]ellisvpp@yahoo.com[/EMAIL])

Last edited by ctguy1964; 07-11-2009 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: felt like it.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:04 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
that is nuts!! Fire her!! These realtors make sooo much money in commission and have the audacity to blow people off like this!! 48-72hrs??? No----- We are available within an hr. of showing our home..... I wouldn't wait 2-3 days to see a house.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy1964 View Post
I myself am contemplating switching realtors. I have been searching for homes since early April (went through my employer to get a preferred mortgage company, who referred me over to two real estate companies from which to select.

Met this lady and though I don't believe I signed an exclusive arrangement to work with her, I just don't feel like I'm a top priority with her. Example, about 6 to 8 weeks into going out to see homes, she then asks me if it would be helpful to send me automatic MLS listings in the neighborhood that interests me. Why did she wait so long?

I have seen about 30 properties, made 3 offers and lost all three. Now starting to expand my search in other towns/area's and feel like she's judging me now "you're all over the place now" in terms of me expanding my search area. I don't need the comments....shut your mouth and if I see a property I like, then show me. I don't want to have to wait a week to see it. Granted, I could definitely be more active in driving to new towns to explore rather than wasting both of our times (which I will do today) in showing me homes where I am not going to like the neighborhood.

Another part that frustrates me in this whole process is that on their website, I can't see houses that are on "show" - they don't update nor do I see if houses that are on short sale. So essentially I can waste time saving houses to my favorites and emailing her the ones that I like, only to find out they're essentially "taken".

I emailed her early this week and she said to let her know when I woul like to go out to see these homes. Emailed her 10 houses - only 2 were available to see. Called her yesterday (Friday) and she said she's going away for the weekend. Why couldn't she let me know this? I have all the time this weekend to look at homes and am left twittling my fingers........

I just don't think she is being pro-active in helping me find a home - in fact, she really never has asked me what I'm looking for and I sense frustration from her perhaps in showing me many properties (when I have submitted 3 offers though)

Is it too much for me to expect that if I give an agent notice that i want to see a home, what is an acceptable turn around period for us to see the house? 48 Hours, 72 hours?

am thinking of firing her and working with a new agent and putting my cards on the table upfront with my expectations....

suggestions are appreciated very much (you can also email your suggestions/idea's at ellisvpp@yahoo.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate