Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The HOA didn't put him in jail, he violated a COURT ORDER that landed him in jail. Talk to the judge, not the HOA. The judge had the discretion to keep him out of jail and chose not to.
And the HOA board had the discretion, based upon his current economic hardship, to not take him to court.
I have some good neighbors and I'm one as well. While at work, my wife needed help with something because of her back condition. Neighbors came over and helped her. She helped them when their car was broken by taking them to the store for grocery shopping and other errands. Another neighbor was taking care of her mother at home and her home was in the 80 degree area even when the thermostat was set at 74. The home health nurse said it wasn't safe for her mom at those temperatures and was recommending moving her into a nursing home which the family could not afford. She asked me to look at her home AC for her. I cleaned the evaporator and condensor coils, blocked off an opening that allowed the home air to bypass the evaporator coils, installed permanent washable air filters to help them save money, printed instructions on how to use the programable thermostat the home came with, and showed her how to use the thermostat. Since doing this her home AC doesn't run as often or long and it is now able to maintain the temperature setpoint. We help each other where I live. Neighbor's tire went flat, several of us went out and changed her tire for her. I've seen several neighbors help another neighbor fix their car. Hurricane passed through and neighbors were helping neighbors put up blue tarp until the roof can be fixed. THAT'S what neighbors are suppose to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Oh, and in the retired nurse story, it wasn't neighbors in the HOA that helped the retired nurse. It was people who were also down on their luck who came out to help someone who was also down on their luck. Kind of makes me wonder if the more money people have, the more arrogant, self centered, and uncaring they become to others.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And the HOA board had the discretion, based upon his current economic hardship, to not take him to court.
I have some good neighbors and I'm one as well. While at work, my wife needed help with something because of her back condition. Neighbors came over and helped her. She helped them when their car was broken by taking them to the store for grocery shopping and other errands. Another neighbor was taking care of her mother at home and her home was in the 80 degree area even when the thermostat was set at 74. The home health nurse said it wasn't safe for her mom at those temperatures and was recommending moving her into a nursing home which the family could not afford. She asked me to look at her home AC for her. I cleaned the evaporator and condensor coils, blocked off an opening that allowed the home air to bypass the evaporator coils, installed permanent washable air filters to help them save money, printed instructions on how to use the programable thermostat the home came with, and showed her how to use the thermostat. Since doing this her home AC doesn't run as often or long and it is now able to maintain the temperature setpoint. We help each other where I live. Neighbor's tire went flat, several of us went out and changed her tire for her. I've seen several neighbors help another neighbor fix their car. Hurricane passed through and neighbors were helping neighbors put up blue tarp until the roof can be fixed. THAT'S what neighbors are suppose to do.
I would do all the same for my neighbors. But I wouldn't pay their bills--especially when many of them drive more expensive cars than I do! Big difference.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I would do all the same for my neighbors. But I wouldn't pay their bills--especially when many of them drive more expensive cars than I do! Big difference.
No, but the neighbors in the HOA could have helped the guy fix his sprinklers and or help him to resod his lawn instead of taking him to court.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No, but the neighbors in the HOA could have helped the guy fix his sprinklers and or help him to resod his lawn instead of taking him to court.
And who is paying for all of it? That's the difference. Everything you did to help your neighbors cost nothing. If my neighbor had sod on pallets and needed help putting it down, no problem. It's not my financial responsibility to go out and buy $500 worth of sod for him though. I've got my own bills to pay.

If his neighbors wanted to voluntarily pay for it, fine. If the HOA does, then they all pay for it whether they want to or not. See the difference?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
And who is paying for all of it? That's the difference. Everything you did to help your neighbors cost nothing. If my neighbor had sod on pallets and needed help putting it down, no problem. It's not my financial responsibility to go out and buy $500 worth of sod for him though. I've got my own bills to pay.

If his neighbors wanted to voluntarily pay for it, fine. If the HOA does, then they all pay for it whether they want to or not. See the difference?
when my wife was driving our neighbor around, gas was $4 a gallon. AC coil cleaner cost money. Permanent air filters cost money. Wood to block an opening that bypasses the coils cost money. As for the retired nurse case, repairing the sprinklers wouldn't have cost much money if people did the work themselves.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
when my wife was driving our neighbor around, gas was $4 a gallon. AC coil cleaner cost money. Permanent air filters cost money. Wood to block an opening that bypasses the coils cost money. As for the retired nurse case, repairing the sprinklers wouldn't have cost much money if people did the work themselves.
You're talking a few bucks, not hundreds of dollars. There isn't a thing on that list that's more than $10-15.

And I don't know how to fix a sprinkler, I had to pay someone $2K last year to deal with it all in my yard--a couple hundred of that was for a new control box after mine was fried during an electrical storm. So sprinkler repair can amount to quite a bit of money for parts alone.

Sorry, but a lot of that guys problems he brought on himself. He bought a house he couldn't afford, end of story.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 AM

What should have happened in the above situation is a concerned neighbor could have said, "hey Jim, you use to keep up your lawn. What happened?" Upon finding out he fell on hard times and his sprinkler is broken then the neighbor could have called and asked other neighbors for a helping hand to help the retired nurse to fix his sprinklers. Problem solved without involving lawyers or the court.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You're talking a few bucks, not hundreds of dollars. There isn't a thing on that list that's more than $10-15.

And I don't know how to fix a sprinkler, I had to pay someone $2K last year to deal with it all in my yard--a couple hundred of that was for a new control box after mine was fried during an electrical storm. So sprinkler repair can amount to quite a bit of money for parts alone.

Sorry, but a lot of that guys problems he brought on himself. He bought a house he couldn't afford, end of story.
That $15 to $20 in our neighborhood is quite a bit for us. Our finances will get better starting in September but for now, we literally count pennies for groceries and gas.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What should have happened in the above situation is a concerned neighbor could have said, "hey Jim, you use to keep up your lawn. What happened?" Upon finding out he fell on hard times and his sprinkler is broken then the neighbor could have called and asked other neighbors for a helping hand to help the retired nurse to fix his sprinklers. Problem solved without involving lawyers or the court.
And if he wasn't living above his means, he wouldn't have had the problem in the first place. It's called personal responsibility, and there's not enough of it in this world anymore. He bought a hosue and car he couldn't afford on his income. That was nobodys fault but his own.

Helping a neighbor by running an errand for them because they are sick or have a new baby at home, fixing a washer in a faucet, helping to change a tire--these are all neighborly things to do. But to pay to resod someone's lawn, sorry, but that's way above and beyond being neighborly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate