Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,857 times

Advertisements

Here's my perspective as a buyer:

The market has told you your house isn't worth what you're asking. And it's been telling you that for a while now. I'd feel like a sucker being the only guy willing to pay you what you want, and you can bet I'd be aware your "new" listing isn't new at all. I apologize for being blunt, but this is an honest response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM

38 posts, read 45,704 times
Right, I've already acknowledged that the only way to sell the house in this market is to lower the price. I'm very well aware of that.

And the only way I'm going to lower the price is to cut out the middle man, either by going FSBO or going with a discount broker.

Thankfully, I really don't have to sell, so time is on my side.

Nonetheless, I'd obviously really like to sell.

Which leads to me to another question . . . which is likely to stir up more buying interest?

a. Keeping the existing realtor and lowering the price, or
b. De-listing, then re-listing at a lowered price either FSBO or with a discount broker (who presumably has access to all the same marketing channels).

Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
If you do not need to sell then do list. Simple math says that you have already been exposed to too many people and more exposure is not going to help. Sit tight, unless you think that further drops are likely...

Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Sounds like your area is like so many, right now, clogged with unsellables going no place, fast.

You are competing with people who have to sell.

Unless you are prepared to stop chasing the market and set it, you are wasting your time, regardless if you stick with your current agent, use a flat fee guy or ouright FSBO.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Some buyers seek out FSBO homes and those listed with flat fee guys. They do this with the intent of pocketing the same 5-6% commission, the sellers is trying to save. There are reasons why most FSBO and Flat fee listings do not sell/close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate