Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you can, make the back up offer.
That does not have to be expensive.

It only gets expensive if you want to diddle around in someone else' agreement.
I don't know what amount his contract price his.
So it would be difficult to know how much to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:16 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
I don't know what amount his contract price his.
So it would be difficult to know how much to offer.
Offer the full value you see.
If you cannot buy it for the value you see in it, it isn't meant to be anyway.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Can't rep ya but great advice to OP

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Thats what I will do.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
We are interested in buying a house that is under contract and has a closing date of 3 weeks from now.

Spoke with the seller and he said he will let me know if the deal falls thru.

The only thing I can think of is to offer the buyer (who I don't know who it is) money to not close , and then offer the seller a higher price than their contract sales price.

Sorry, but this I don't understand - even if you could find out who the buyer is, why would you want to offer them money to not go through with a sale? I gather you're going this alone and you don't have an agent representing you. I'm just thinking as well about all the expenses the current buyers have incurred to date, time, etc. etc. plus the fact they obviously like the house and thus due to close in 3 weeks.

I would want the seller to know the entire arrangement.

Any suggestions ?
My suggestion is to listen to Mike and others and simply put in a back up offer and if you really like the house, do as Mike suggests and make your b/u offer strong. Then see if the sale goes through. If not, it wasn't meant to be and the right house will be out there. JMO but get going on a counter-offer so at least you're first in line if the sale falls through.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:40 PM

75 posts, read 307,022 times
A lot more deals are not seeing there way to the end nowadays. If they haven't got their mortgage committment yet then the deal is in now way set in stone. So yes def. go through with a good strong backup offer, but be careful to not overextend yourself because of your desire for this house.

If you could find out the buyer's info you could put forth your suggestion to buy him out, but I imagine the buyer would hold you up for a lot more knowing how bad you want the house.

As a seller I would be a little leery about just letting a good qualified buyer get away also(the one with the accepted offer). Say your scenario played out, and for some reason now your deal with the seller falls apart(financing, inspection, buyers remorse, injury to you, job loss, etc...) The seller would be left with nothing. Where's his/her motivation? The sellers best move would be to take your backup offer and just let offer "A" play its way out. If it falls through he has you in reserve.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM

I spoke to the seller a few days ago and he said he will definately call me if the deal falls thru.
I told him I would raise my offer.
I think I'm in good shape now if the deal falls thru , mentioning a number would only obligate me to a much higher price.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I like Mike J's suggestion about putting in a solid back up offer (a real offer in writing). If you really want the house there is a difference between asking a seller to call you if a deal falls through and providing an actual written offer that they know they can fall back on if the current deal breaks down. As a seller I would be much more confident walking away from a deal if I knew I had a back up offer. I would feel less confident if all I had was a coversation with a person who said they would make an offer if the deal fell through. There is a big difference between the two IMO.

If I really wanted a house with a contract on it, I would make my best offer as a back up and hope for the best.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
I spoke to the seller a few days ago and he said he will definately call me if the deal falls thru.
I told him I would raise my offer.
I think I'm in good shape now if the deal falls thru , mentioning a number would only obligate me to a much higher price.
As someone who just moved into the house that she closed on in early July...a house that had at least one backup offer and interest from other couples...I would have told you to get lost. No amount of money could have swayed me. Sorry. In fact the backup offer almost soured the deal, since the sellers balked at contributing any money towards the thousands of dollars of repairs that this house needed prior to moving in because someone made a backup offer at full asking after they had accepted my offer under asking price. I wish I could find that guy and thank him for that.

The realtor gave you great advice...find another house.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
Paying someone to default on a contract ... hum, not a great idea. If a licensed agent has a hand in any such thing it will be a violation of the NAR code of ethics.

You may want to offer a back up contract. Your agent can write up the offer and deliver it to the listing agent. No ethics problem, it's perfectly legal and it won't cost you a cent. Go for it & best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate