Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 14,660 times

Advertisements

Hi...posted this on another board on this forum, think it's better placed on this one...
-------------------
Hello...new here, but need some input. Dismissed an agent last week. She left keys to the house under a planter in backyard for the new agents after she had been advised to retain the keys at her office. We've just been notified by new agents that a crystal chandalier was stolen RIGHT from the ceiling. No sign of forced entry, all doors were secure we were told. Just a big hole in the ceiling where the chandalier once hung...Police report and insurance claim is in process.

Is the agent responsible for the theft? Yes, I'm aware that this was probably a vindictive action by the former agent, but we are not pointing fingers here, yet.

Any help here is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Leaving the key unsecured is definitely irresponsible. Did the chandelier go missing during the time the key was outside? If so, I would say yes, she has to be held accountable.

Naima

Old 09-09-2009, 03:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Oh my stars....leaving keys under the mat and now the chandy has gone missing.

Sounds like irresponsible behavior to me.

Have you called her managing broker?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Hi Naima...Thank you...I think so too. Regarding the timeframe of missing chandelier (thanks for the spell check , because we live outside of the area of the house we're selling, we don't really know WHEN it went missing. She did not mention it was gone when she told us where she'd be leaving the keys, so I am assuming it was there at that time. It would've been taken between the 9/4 - 9/7 (the day the new agents alerted us).

Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

We're waiting on the brokers reply...still waiting...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
Call her managing broker and file an insurance claim with their E&O insurance. If you have any trouble getting the insurance information from the broker contact your state's insurance commissioner. You'll want to check with your state's web site for the insurance and real estate departments.

Maybe the agent is responsible for the missing light fixture, maybe not. The insurance company will investiage and find out.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Leaving the key unsecured is definitely irresponsible. Did the chandelier go missing during the time the key was outside? If so, I would say yes, she has to be held accountable.

Naima
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
Call her managing broker and file an insurance claim with their E&O insurance. If you have any trouble getting the insurance information from the broker contact your state's insurance commissioner. You'll want to check with your state's web site for the insurance and real estate departments.

Maybe the agent is responsible for the missing light fixture, maybe not. The insurance company will investiage and find out.
Ditto here and if you don't get a call back from the BIC soon, pay a visit to their office. Leaving a key outside instead of holding on to it like you directed? The posters I quoted all gave you excellent advice - whether she stole it or not, it's flat out irresponsible to leave the key to your home outside and against your specific instructions.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Ditto here and if you don't get a call back from the BIC soon, pay a visit to their office. Leaving a key outside instead of holding on to it like you directed? The posters I quoted all gave you excellent advice - whether she stole it or not, it's flat out irresponsible to leave the key to your home outside and against your specific instructions.
Thanks to ALL you guys for the incredibly helpful and wise comments. I've just spoken to the former agent who informed us that the chandelier was gone when she visited the house to remove the lockboxes etc last week. So, it's apparant that it was stolen while she was vacationing for the last 3 weeks.

So, that being said...the fixture was stolen prior to the keys being left in the backyard...guess this is all moot at this point. Just hoping our insurance company will cover. Also looking into who visited the house while she was away (lockbox info etc)...

Thanks again to all of you...very kind of you to take the time

Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaleysGirl View Post
Thanks to ALL you guys for the incredibly helpful and wise comments. I've just spoken to the former agent who informed us that the chandelier was gone when she visited the house to remove the lockboxes etc last week. So, it's apparant that it was stolen while she was vacationing for the last 3 weeks.

So, that being said...the fixture was stolen prior to the keys being left in the backyard...guess this is all moot at this point. Just hoping our insurance company will cover. Also looking into who visited the house while she was away (lockbox info etc)...

Okay, but just a question: She noticed it was missing the 'last time she visited the house' and didn't let you know it was gone? Only after the 'new agents' notified you and you put in a call to her BIC that she 'told you it was missing'? Sorry, guess I worked with criminal litigators too long but something just isn't sounding right here JMO

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaleysGirl View Post

I'd say she's lying to you about that, to skirt responsibility. Why wouldn't she tell you its stolen, whenever it was stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate