Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
with no monthly payment?

that is what i desire. No payments except bills and taxes. I am young though.

How often does it actually come to fruition for people?
I see someone like that every time I visit my parents. They bought in 1976 and haven't moved yet. Not that they haven't tried... I have a feeling that moving would've required expending a few more calories than they feel like burning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM

389 posts, read 1,230,141 times
My husband and I paid off our mortgage 3 years into our marriage. He had been owning for 6 years before we married. At first we lived off my income which was less than half of his and his whole income went into the mortgage...then when I quit working 10 months later we continued to live off the same amount and put over half his income into our mortgage. I think our real estate agent was shocked that a couple so young didn't have a mortgage. (We also had already paid off our vehicles and my grad loans.) When we moved we bought a more expensive property and took out a 15 yr mortgage. We put down 67% and are doing the same thing as before. With the track we are on now we will pay it off in 5 yrs if we don't move first.

I remember the shock on my face when I paid my first mortgage payment after our wedding. I couldn't believe how much money went to interest. I made it my goal to get rid of that as soon as possible. I don't like to owe anyone anything. I now wish we hadn't taken out another mortgage, but lesson learned I don't expect to have one again.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I know quite a few, and also my Mother's home was owned outright paid off. Now my siblings and myself own the home. In a very prestigious area of California. We are going to sell it shortly, and split our money, and i will finally be able to buy a home and pay if off if i choose also. Question should i pay a new home off or is there some advantage not to do that. I am in early 50's.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I know quite a few, and also my Mother's home was owned outright paid off. Now my siblings and myself own the home. In a very prestigious area of California. We are going to sell it shortly, and split our money, and i will finally be able to buy a home and pay if off if i choose also. Question should i pay a new home off or is there some advantage not to do that. I am in early 50's.
Spend a few hours with a qualified finacial planner who knows and understands your complete financial picture, tax situation and future goals.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
everyone need to have financial goals, whether its own a home, invest, money for college ,money for retirement etc...

saving and growing that money towards your goals is something you need to work towards. if one of your goals was to own your house outright and you reach that goal then do it.

it makes no sense to take the money you put at risk to invest and grow , meet your goal and then throw that money back at risk again by re-investing it.

heres the problem, most folks dont have the discipline or investing skills to be left to their own devices to religiously invest and do the right things.

if you didnt pay off the home the money may not end up getting deployed into a different appreciating asset. it may get spent and that would be more typical of how things play out.

if you pay off the house you may not get the biggest investiment bang but at least there is a consolation prize, the house.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,243 times
I keep moving up and will let the kids pay it off.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 117,689 times
The only person who I am personally aware of who had his house paid for in full was my grandfather. His two houses were actually paid for in cash. His second one was purchased in the 1970's when he moved to San Diego. He lived through the Great Depression so I am certain that affected him, he was very frugal even when he did not need to be. I feel saddened that he never was able to allow himself to enjoy his money when he lived.

When I buy my house, I plan to constantly put money towards the principle in order to pay the 15-year mortage more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate