Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 AM

166 posts, read 828,389 times

Advertisements

We were in a smaller house, and then when the prices went down, we sold our house and are now building the house which we will retire from. About 1.5 yrs ago, this same house would have gone over 150K more than what we are paying for it. We sold our house a little less than what its value was ( prices held in our area, did not go down that much, and owning our last house for 9 years helped too). Took advantage of the slump and upgraded. Think we did good. Comfortable with the house payment, we know the area is good, and we are already holding equity in the home ( house prices are going up here again, the same model house is now 17K more, and the builder has cut down on the incentive amounts that were given to us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post
We were in a smaller house, and then when the prices went down, we sold our house and are now building the house which we will retire from. About 1.5 yrs ago, this same house would have gone over 150K more than what we are paying for it. We sold our house a little less than what its value was ( prices held in our area, did not go down that much, and owning our last house for 9 years helped too). Took advantage of the slump and upgraded. Think we did good. Comfortable with the house payment, we know the area is good, and we are already holding equity in the home ( house prices are going up here again, the same model house is now 17K more, and the builder has cut down on the incentive amounts that were given to us).
Where are you located? This sounds similar to what we did. I will warn you, however, the skeptics will literally call you a liar when you claim the house you're building would have cost 150k more a year and 1/2 ago. I believe you, no question, but the glitch is where you claim prices held in your area where you previous home was and that you can't have it both ways. Clearly, building new in this market and buying existing are 2 different games, but many do not understand this. We know our home we built has gained equity, no matter how small that might be, and I have been called a disillusioned, head in the sand "fool" for believing this. Congrats on your new home. You will, undoubtedly, love it, and glad to see there are others who understand the RE market, no matter what it might be doing.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
I'm putting my condo on the market in February and I can wait to buy a house. I just hope the interest rates don't go up. This is lower than they've been in 45 YEARS!! The only reason I will rent is if I can't find the exact house I want by the time I sell mine. And it's not all doom and gloom. I have friends who bought their house in '74 for $60,000 and now it's worth $4,000,000 +.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
I meant I "can't wait to buy a house"...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,062 times
We closed on the sale of our house yesterday, and i CANNOT wait to buy!! Our mortgage will be the same or cheaper and at least half of what renting will be. If we do not find a decent house, we will still move to our new location, rent and continue to look for a new house.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,110 times
Yes, excited to buy again....only if it's a wonderful deal in an area with jobs and plan to be there 5 yrs or more. Mainly for the low interest rate we locked in 4.75% for 30 yr fixed. Those that are waiting 2 years to buy will have a wake up call when the interest rates are 13%! Look at the 80's. History repeats itself. You will be kicking yourself in the bum for not buying today!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 AM

196 posts, read 574,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Yes, excited to buy again....only if it's a wonderful deal in an area with jobs and plan to be there 5 yrs or more. Mainly for the low interest rate we locked in 4.75% for 30 yr fixed. Those that are waiting 2 years to buy will have a wake up call when the interest rates are 13%! Look at the 80's. History repeats itself. You will be kicking yourself in the bum for not buying today!
But I'm guessing that if interest rates jump to 13% over the next two years with a declining market, prices of homes are going to continue to decline. That is the dilemma with buying right now.

If you have to move and are in the market to buy right now, the numbers make it difficult to push me to buy. In your example, yes, just comparing what you payment would be if the interest rate increases makes a good argument to buy. But, you also must factor in that prices will continue to decline if interest rates increase.

Then you must also factor in your own situation. If you are renting and are in a position to continue saving towards your downpayment, you must factor in the larger downpayment vs. financing a larger amount.

The ideal situation if you believe interest rates will climb that high is to keep saving and then buy a home with cash when the interest rates climb and home prices drop even more!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Home values will decline as interest rates rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate