Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:15 AM

110 posts, read 235,702 times

Advertisements

Homeowners turned renters, by choice or otherwise. In seven-ten years, when the foreclosed homeowners credit is rebuilt, I expect we'll see a mini-boom in home buying as these folks will be jonesing to get back in a house.

This thread is just for fun, and no scientific data to prove it, no fancy articles, but just my personal hunch. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Well, afterall, the market is cyclical, history repeats itself and memories do fade after time.....

Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
It all depend on the banks, but I am guessing there will some form of regulaion to come out of this mess that will prevent it to some degree.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Ten years and one world war following the peak of the Great Depression marked the start of a housing/building boom, fueled by government stimulous:

100% financing VA loans ( 50% down was the most common term prior to the Great Depression)

FHA insurance enabling low-moderate income earners to buy homes.

Mortgage securitization via FNMA to increase the money available for mortgages

20 year amortization schedules ( 3-5 year balloons were the most common mortgage terms prior to the Great Depression)

There have also been some real doozy regional ( Cali, NY tri-state, Boston, DC, Arizona, Florida) market corrections as well as serious economic downturns which impacted housing, since then.

Plenty of folks predicted markets would never return to what they had been. They were mistaken. It just takes time, a lot of time.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think the POLITICS of who is going to pull what levers is far and away the biggest factor as to when more people might have enough confidence to again venture into ownership...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

553 posts, read 1,707,397 times
I'm guessing we don't see another housing boom in a generation.

I'm hoping that whatever the outcome, the market finds equilibrium between buyers and sellers, and at levels which allow something of the salad days to return, where a single family income can afford a reasonably sized home in a good neighborhood without having to spend more than 20-25% of their AGI.

Without real job and wage growth (which we haven't had in nearly 20 years in the US), combined with the ongoing banking crisis, ongoing and permanent demographic changes, and toss in all those homes owned by baby boomers who will be selling over the next 20 years, I just don't see another true boom. Maybe there'll be local areas which find equilibrium sooner, but that is probably the best case.

I'm sure there will be another housing boom, but let's not forget once a speculative bubble bursts, it can take a very very long time for the market to recover to its peak-bubble valuations. After the stock market bubble burst in 1929 it took until 1954 before stocks recovered. And that was after a period of incredible economic growth during and after WW2.

The Nasdaq and tech stocks are still over 50% below their peak valuation a decade after that bubble burst, and it doesn't look like they'll head anywhere near those levels in the coming decade.

And my favorite, the Japanese, well they're still waiting their real estate market to return to where it was in the early 90s. It's still closer to 100% lower than where things stood in the early 90s.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Ten years and one world war following the peak of the Great Depression marked the start of a housing/building boom, fueled by government stimulous:

100% financing VA loans ( 50% down was the most common term prior to the Great Depression)

FHA insurance enabling low-moderate income earners to buy homes.

Mortgage securitization via FNMA to increase the money available for mortgages

20 year amortization schedules ( 3-5 year balloons were the most common mortgage terms prior to the Great Depression)

There have also been some real doozy regional ( Cali, NY tri-state, Boston, DC, Arizona, Florida) market corrections as well as serious economic downturns which impacted housing, since then.

Plenty of folks predicted markets would never return to what they had been. They were mistaken. It just takes time, a lot of time.

What started that building boom was the huge number of young men returning from WWII anxious to start a family and buy a house with a good steady manufacturing job.

We have ( and I do not see that scenario in the future ) a completely different set of circunstances today and in the future.

Plus, families are smaller today so there won;t be 4 or 5 young adults from nearly every family looking for a house.

Couple that with ( as another poster mentioned) the baby boomers eventually selling their house-----through choice, necessity, or death.

IMHO-----I see no housing boom on the horizon even looking thru binoculars

Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I don't see it as a housing boom, but I do think that anyone in a house right now should be prepared to stay for at least that long.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
It all depend on the banks, but I am guessing there will some form of regulation to come out of this mess that will prevent it to some degree.
Just like the Savings and Loan / Bank (700) collapse of the 1980's their will be some feel good laws passed and some stupid laws passed to protect us and prevent it from happening.

Then we will get a President like Bill Clinton and a congress who passes laws that will make credit loose again and some loans that should never be made are given to people who can't pay them back.

Then the market will go up and a big bubble will burst.

We have a short memory and there will be another generation of people who will come along and do it all over again. It may not be the exact same mistakes but we are smart enough to work around any laws and come up with new dangerous and creative business practices.

This is all speculative unless we all go bankrupt from Govt overspending and double digit inflation raises it head. Remember double digit inflation from the 1980's ?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM

328 posts, read 886,277 times
I do not think it will happen as long as the banks do their jobs. A person who makes $50,000 should not be able to buy a $500,000 home unless they have a lot of cash to put down.

I hope it does not. I hate what these vultures have done to the American dream. I hope we get back to buying homes to raise our families and create memories as oppossed to looking for property that will double in 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate