Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM

53 posts, read 248,030 times

Advertisements

Tonight they showed a city in California that sold 30,000 homes in the past six years. 11,000 of those have been repossessed in the past 18 months. They showed an auctioneer at the courthouse trying to give away the homes, two people where there. They weren't bidding!

Times are getting really scary. This is nothing compared to the recession in the 70's-80's.

Anyone remember the The Great Depression?

Pay your crap off now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Default I wonder how many of those defaults were due to residents abandoning

their homes and moving to Raleigh?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM

245 posts, read 267,749 times
You some sort of scared tatic guy?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Default LKN, not at all, I have been keeping a close watch on the statistics...

they don't lie. It is insane how mortgage companies can allow people to abandon homes in other states while they live comfortably in another.

I am pushing to have legislation to prohibit this and allow default loan companies to seek retribution for loss damages.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 PM

245 posts, read 267,749 times
Good luck. Sounds like you loss some $$$.

If someone does not have the money to pay it then what can you do?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localguywonderingaround View Post
Tonight they showed a city in California that sold 30,000 homes in the past six years. 11,000 of those have been repossessed in the past 18 months. They showed an auctioneer at the courthouse trying to give away the homes, two people where there. They weren't bidding!

Times are getting really scary. This is nothing compared to the recession in the 70's-80's.

Anyone remember the The Great Depression?

Pay your crap off now.
What does this post have to do with the Triangle? It may be a better fit for this forum:

Real Estate Professionals - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 PM

Default LKN, lets pretend that you operate a loan company and I take a $300,000 loan

out for a home in San Diego, California. Everything is going great for years. Well, in 2006 things start to get shaky with the employment in San Diego. So I start to look elsewhere and find a position in NC paying a little less. However, my $65,000 salary will go really far in NC. So, eventually my family finds another house in NC. We purchase the home and put the San Diego house up for sale. Well, there are 500 other homes within a two mile radius. A few months go by and I am burning my nest egg up. Eventually I have no more funds to pay for both homes, so I default on the loan with your company. I throw the home in your hands, you can't sell it, the market is dead. You have no choice but to foreclose. Steadly, house by house defaults, people are bailing from CA. Very soon, your company no longer exists.

However, if congress passed a law requiring residents to be responsible for the negative equity. We do it for vehicles, why not homes. There could be an insurance taken on the home, like PMI. If you default, the loan company sells the home for a reasonable value, you pay remainder through your insurance company. Then the responsible party would pay the insurance carrier.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What does this post have to do with the Triangle? It may be a better fit for this forum:

Real Estate Professionals - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions
Well, thanks a heckuva a lot, NRG.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
out for a home in San Diego, California. Everything is going great for years. Well, in 2006 things start to get shaky with the employment in San Diego. So I start to look elsewhere and find a position in NC paying a little less. However, my $65,000 salary will go really far in NC. So, eventually my family finds another house in NC. We purchase the home and put the San Diego house up for sale. Well, there are 500 other homes within a two mile radius. A few months go by and I am burning my nest egg up. Eventually I have no more funds to pay for both homes, so I default on the loan with your company. I throw the home in your hands, you can't sell it, the market is dead. You have no choice but to foreclose. Steadly, house by house defaults, people are bailing from CA. Very soon, your company no longer exists.

However, if congress passed a law requiring residents to be responsible for the negative equity. We do it for vehicles, why not homes. There could be an insurance taken on the home, like PMI. If you default, the loan company sells the home for a reasonable value, you pay remainder through your insurance company. Then the responsible party would pay the insurance carrier.
If every business had a safety net like that everyone could go into business for themselves and never have to worry about losing money.
Unfortunately that is not how capitalism works. With risk there is reward.

No one made the lenders give out 100% loans but they got greedy, wanting to give anyone a loan whether they has terrible credit or not.
If someone has 20% down on a home there is alot less chance of them walking away.
The lenders have to deal with it now.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:

There could be an insurance taken on the home, like PMI. If you default, the loan company sells the home for a reasonable value, you pay remainder through your insurance company. Then the responsible party would pay the insurance carrier.
That's why there IS PMI......

As said above, people who put 20% down (thereby avoiding PMI) are less likely to default. It's not the people with big downpayments who are letting their houses get foreclosed- it's the people who got suckered into payments they can't afford. IMO, the mortgage companies are getting what they deserve for being so loose with their money.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate