Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Sorry can't rep you.
No problem.
I'll just slip out to lunch while you work it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Realtors go to prison every day in this country. There must be a reason, right? Trust me, its not always the buyers "feeling" they were done wrong. In fact, they often were!!!!!!!!!
Last year in my MLS there were 5,954 transactions involving real estate agents, lenders, appraisers, etc...

To my knowledge we have one mortgage broker who will be heading to prison soon for identity theft and fraud, and one real estate agent who had an affair with a local sheriff which made the papers.

So...of all those transactions we have two people with questionable behavior. One committed a felony and one just had bad judgment (no legal crimes were committed). Hardly a daily thing. Hardly an often thing...

Are buyers given mediocre representation sometimes? Sure, but I am always amazed at how poorly some people choose their service providers. Mediocre does not mean illegal. There are mediocre lawyers, CPAs, hairdressers and plumbers too.

All services have a system. If I want a test done for my health, it has to get preapproved by my insurance provider. There is a process, irritating at times, that I have to go through to get the service. Real estate is no different. There is a process. What I often see with buyers that are frustrated is that they don't understand the process and as such tend to think there is some illegal, nefarious action going on. There are many laws that have to be followed some of which are stupid. I don't get to follow only the laws I think are good. I have to follow the stupid laws too.

The OP needs a buyer agent to educate them on the process and help them buy a house.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Sorry can't rep you.
I haven't been able to rep anyone lately. Apparently I can only rep people now that I disagree with, or who are mean. I must have repped people too much.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM

107 posts, read 335,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

The OP needs a buyer agent to educate them on the process and help them buy a house.
I think you are right.
I called an agent and he said "we have quite a few property and they are all available although it says it is under contract".
I am going to call few more agents to check on their inventory.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
I think you are right.
I called an agent and he said "we have quite a few property and they are all available although it says it is under contract".
Just don't pick the first one you meet. Interview at least three. Ask how many REO contracts that have written up for buyers. Ask them about the process, how things work. The agent that can best explain to you the current market dynamics is the one you want to work with. Real estate is a complicated beast these days.

Also ask them if they have any other jobs. If they are doing something else besides real estate, I would urge you to consider a different agent. It is really hard to keep up with the changes that are occurring in the real estate market as a full timer. You want someone who is as on top of the market as possible.

You sound like you are still calling the LISTING agents. You want a BUYER agent. You want to hire an agent to make those phone calls for you. Get an agent representing YOU, not the seller.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Why is everyone working under the assumption they were all REO's, something underhanded happened, etc.? All he said is he made offers. Didn't say what all the offers were, when the houses sold, if there were reasons the seller didn't take it, if they multiple offers, etc. If they were recent closed, the owner may have had to face reality after his offer had come and gone.

OP, I would guess that down the road after the offer was made the sellers got hit with reality and eventually accepted an offer they didn't like. You were just at the wrong place at the right time, they weren't.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Happens all the time. I'll bet you that the winning bidder was represented by the selling agent. The selling agent probably excluded your offer so her, or his client would win and they make full commision.
If you're going to make claims like that, please have some data to back it up. What you're stating just isn't true. Most sellers are happy to have 1 offer, you make sound like multiple offers are everyday occurrences. That was simply the first of the inaccurate statements.It doesn't happen all the time.

The second one is the worst. Agents are required to submit all offers. What makes you think that the seller would take the lesser offer so that the Realtor could make more money?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Were your offers written formal offers including a pre-qual or verification of funds letter?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Why is everyone working under the assumption they were all REO's, something underhanded happened, etc.? All he said is he made offers. Didn't say what all the offers were, when the houses sold, if there were reasons the seller didn't take it, if they multiple offers, etc. If they were recent closed, the owner may have had to face reality after his offer had come and gone.

OP, I would guess that down the road after the offer was made the sellers got hit with reality and eventually accepted an offer they didn't like. You were just at the wrong place at the right time, they weren't.

This is true. When I hear that someone has made 10 offers, I think bargain hunters in the REO/short sale market. You're right, it could be just regular sellers involved.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
I think you are right.
As mentioned, find a good Buyer's agent that will work for you with no obligation to the seller. A buyer's agent should have access to all available properties listed in your MLS, including bank owned if that's your interest. One stop shopping .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate