Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 9,180 times

Advertisements

My Agent cancelled my listing after just a month into our contract because she feels we have a personality conflict although this makes no sense. My question is, is this legal? I don't think I could have cancelled if I had wanted out of the contract therefore, should she be able to??? Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance, Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
I guess it depends on what your contract says the agent can do. My contract spells out when I can cancel the contract such as failing to follow fair housing laws, failing to allow the house to be shown...etc.

I guess my question is why do you want to work with someone that doesn't get along with you. It's not like there's a lack of real estate agents in the US.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, Silverfall! The thing is, we haven't had any problem and have actually had minimal contact. Something doesn't make sense. I don't see anything in my contract (an RMLS Contract Form) stating one of us can cancel "just because."

Old 11-14-2009, 11:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,632,544 times
Do you really want some one listing your house who doesn't want to list your house?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:29 AM

Thanks, JohnG72 for your reply! No, of course I don't want an Agent who doesn't want to be my Agent however there is NO valid reason for the cancellation and just a hassle to find another Realtor and start the process over is all. I just wanted to know if I can file any action against her for doing this without cause.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Did you sign anything cancelling the listing?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
File an action? I really don't see the purpose. If it would make you feel better, call her Broker and give him/her an ear full, then get another Realtor that really wants the listing and move on and get your house sold.

I don't see the point in expending the energy in fighting something that you weren't really hurt by. She could have said nothing and just let your house sit and not promote it. She actually did you a favor by being up front about it and letting you get someone else.

I would be calling Realtors today and get it listed by a very hungry one.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
File an action? I really don't see the purpose. If it would make you feel better, call her Broker and give him/her an ear full, then get another Realtor that really wants the listing and move on and get your house sold.

I don't see the point in expending the energy in fighting something that you weren't really hurt by. She could have said nothing and just let your house sit and not promote it. She actually did you a favor by being up front about it and letting you get someone else.

What he said.
Shake the dirt off your shoes and move on.
Keep your eyes and focus on the stated goal of selling your home.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,048,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What he said.
Shake the dirt off your shoes and move on.
Keep your eyes and focus on the stated goal of selling your home.
Same here, just get on the phone (or make an appointment) with the Broker in Charge, tell them you're not real sure what the heck happened (and you're not real happy about it), and you need an agent who actually wants the listing and will work hard for you. If me I'd rather an agent do this NOW, than sit on their butt and do nothing until the contract expired. At least now, and early on, you can get with another agent so you're on the path to a sale. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsColeridge View Post
My Agent cancelled my listing after just a month into our contract because she feels we have a personality conflict although this makes no sense. My question is, is this legal? I don't think I could have cancelled if I had wanted out of the contract therefore, should she be able to??? Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance, Dee
Just curious ... were there any requests or suggestions that the agent made that you didn't see eye to eye with?

Perhaps pricing? Showing schedule? Staging/decluttering? Marketing tactics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate