Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use a Broker who offers Same Service for Less than 6% Fee?
Yes - Save me the Money! 40 93.02%
No - This needs to be hands on Industry, 6% seems fair! 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

Our realtor in CA worked for Coldwell Banker and charged 6%. We bought an sold 2 houses with her and then our last sale we switched to a broker and had to only pay 4%. When you are selling a 600,000 house, 6% is rediculous to pay!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM

50 posts, read 183,757 times
we moved within Charlotte and our realtor cut their commission to 3.9% to sell our house and he got paid full price when we bought our new house.
MLS is very important but it upset me when my neighbor put up a sign "for sale by owner" to get some of our traffic. He also got the person that was bidding for our house and did not get it. they ditched their realtor and boght the FSBO house. Classless move in my opinion.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
I'm a Realtor.

I thought the piece was fairly well put together even though there wasn't anything new in it.

The only real flaw in the piece was the fact that, due to time constraints there was an awful lot left unsaid. That's a polite way of saying the piece wasn't very deep (imho). An example of this is the fact that the 6% commission was simply stated as a fact of life, like 4 quarts to a gallon. The fact of the matter is that not only is every single commission amount agreed upon by the seller and the RE company, but that Realtors are forbidden (just as others are) from price fixing. 6% may be a figure many companies charge, but it's not fixed. It's a matter for negotiation. Always has been, always will be. There are a dozen other factors they simply didn't have time for.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I'm a Realtor.

I thought the piece was fairly well put together even though there wasn't anything new in it.

The only real flaw in the piece was the fact that, due to time constraints there was an awful lot left unsaid. That's a polite way of saying the piece wasn't very deep (imho). An example of this is the fact that the 6% commission was simply stated as a fact of life, like 4 quarts to a gallon. The fact of the matter is that not only is every single commission amount agreed upon by the seller and the RE company, but that Realtors are forbidden (just as others are) from price fixing. 6% may be a figure many companies charge, but it's not fixed. It's a matter for negotiation. Always has been, always will be. There are a dozen other factors they simply didn't have time for.
Funny thing I have noticed is when realtors speak to "for sale by owner houses" that clients want to view. The first words out of the realtors mouth are will you agree to 6%!!! There was no negotiating if 6% was not agree to the realtor would rattle off about problems with the house even though they had never been in the home. I always found it fun to stop and look at FSBO homes if they look like something I was interested in when purchasing as it made the realtor actually do something other then talk on the phone.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,556 times
I also think removing the realtor would allow prices to fluctate so that a buyer has the opportunity to put in a bid for the real value of the home. I tried to buy two homes in the Charlottee area three years ago and the realtor refused to put in the bid as it was several thousand dollars less then the asking prices, but both homes needed repairs. I documented both cases and had my attorney cancel the contract with the realtor and bought one of the homes through another realtor at the price I bid.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:33 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Funny thing I have noticed is when realtors speak to "for sale by owner houses" that clients want to view. The first words out of the realtors mouth are will you agree to 6%!!! There was no negotiating if 6% was not agree to the realtor would rattle off about problems with the house even though they had never been in the home. I always found it fun to stop and look at FSBO homes if they look like something I was interested in when purchasing as it made the realtor actually do something other then talk on the phone.
I think you're mistaken. If an agent approaches a FSBO with the intention of bringing a buyer they usually ask the seller to co-broke. That means that the seller agrees to pay 3%, not 6% as you stated. The 3% goes to the Buyer's Agent who brought the buyer to the transaction and who, by the way, does all the work because the seller doesn't know how. I've never heard of a Buyer's Agent asking for 6%.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I'm a Realtor.

Ha, then why is it that every agent I have worked with refuses to negotiate the commission rate? "Oh, we can't negotiate," I have been told.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 AM

79 posts, read 210,225 times
I'm a realtor in FL, and although I am not surprised by the 60 MINs bias, I feel that the public is not ready for internet realty. Think about this, you go on the internet to buy a house, you get the directions, you call to view it, you then find yourself in the home of a person you do not really know. No longer do the Realtors take the risk, now the public will be put at risk. Furthermore, I have seen folks go it alone, because we all know buying and selling is so easy, yet these are the same folks who later contact me to find out how they can go after the party the sold them the house cause know there are thing wrong with the house and the sellers will not return there calls. In response to the person who had the realtor just drive them around, not all realtors are created equal, if you find you have one not interested in your needs, leave and find another.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:31 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Ha, then why is it that every agent I have worked with refuses to negotiate the commission rate? "Oh, we can't negotiate," I have been told.

Some of the bigger firms may not allow there agents to do this.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
You can either pay me $1000 to do it or go here....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/about...usergroup.html

lol Charlotte too funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate