Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So, let's review.... as some point in the process she delegated showing appointments to her office or a showing service, which is how the majority of showing appointments are made.

A buyer's agent brought in the buyer, which is how most sales occur.

She communicated and negotiated your multiple offers via phone, which is how most offers are handled, unless agreed to otherwise.

She adhered to protocol and sent the personal property addendum to the buyer's agent and requested the buyer's agent to confirm it.

She will not be at the walk thru or the closing.....while this is not how I run my business, it is increasingly common, at least in my area.

Going back to the job description, she educated you, she created excitment within the marketplace, she negotiated multiple offers and worked with you to determined which offer you wanted to accept. She did her job.
I agreee wtih this assessment. BTW, tomorrow I will my miss my 2nd and third closing ever. Had lasiks today and was hoping to make them but I'm not. Both got moved back or this wouldn't be happening. Same thing that happened to the first one. Closing is pretty anticlimactic and the agent normally just sits there anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM

43,318 posts, read 77,165,481 times
The showing and selling has been beat to death already. 7 offers, 3 contracts, in 6 weeks and closing tomorrow. Sounds like the job was done as contracted. Congratulations!

As the listing agent, I would not go to a buyer's final walk through, generally, although, I have.

I don't know the norm in your area, but since your agent felt the need to let you know she wasn't coming, it appears she had at least thought it was expected.
But, I do go to all my closings, particularly if both parties will be there.

If the buyer selects the attorney or title company, the Seller may feel out of place and awkward.
Many of them need me there just for that reason.
Because of the bond built over the course of a listing and transaction, I am the friendly face the clients recognize and know and trust at the closing table.

You might tell the agent you expect to be professionally represented at closing.
Keller Williams has several mottos.
One is:
"Customers always come first."
You are more than a "Customer." You are a "Client," and should not settle for less service than would be offered a customer.
"Bold" is really no excuse.

If the agent will not commit, you might call the managing broker, and request a very qualified substitute.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,631,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The overwhelming number of listing agents do not personally schedule showing appointments. Rather, appointments go through the broker's front desk or a dedicated showing service unless it's a high end/agent accompany showing or there is a preference to do so.

Too bad she did not tell you about the change in protocol, when it happened.
Yes, that would've been nice. At that point, having heard from her for the week or 10days and then 'someone else' I thought was weird.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
To the OP.... I was curious if you thought since the house sold quickly and you had multiple offers the real problem is you thought she did not earn her money ?

Do you think you overpaid her for the effort and results ? Could this be the real underlying problem ?
No, not at all.
None, whatsoever.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM

Ok, everyone. Thanks for the input.

I don't want to rescind her commission, I don't want to get her in trouble, I want to get our profit check and move on. To eventually get the h*ll out of FL!

We managed to get our house sold (a huge part of it selling was due to her 'initial' efforts-which hugely waned-and the fact that we hugely and properly stage our home all by ourselves + our home was the ONLY one out of 7 on the mkt in our neighborhood, that was NOT a short sale/foreclosure)

So with that said, I was just curious (re-read my OP) if she was the 'norm'.

So, what I extracted from your varied responses, she is 50/50 of the norm. ?

Here was my today's email to her re: our closing tomorrow:

Me:
Why can't you attend the closing? I see you have some class but this closing was scheduled within the first week of this contract? So, 6wks ago....
So, who is going to be present at the walk-thru/closing as our representation?

Her:
I will not be there and sellers are not "represented" at closing. Some Realtors attend and some don't. I don't and I won't be as my class commitment was made before your closing was even scheduled.

So, there you have it. Responses now, to HER response?

A bit brusk if you ask me.

Thanks everyone. And yes, our closing date of the 18th, tomorrow, was in fact the initial date and has never once changed.

Lastly, I definitely will not be writing her a letter of recommendation, as she has asked me to atleast on 3 different occasions!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Ok, so we sold our house and are closing tomorrow. West Boynton Beach.

Our realtor has not shown us her face again since we signed the contract with her in September.

Nor, did SHE sell our home. We had a TON showings and not ONE from her.

We are extremely lucky in that we sold our home within 6wks of listing it, and prior to that contract (the selling one), we had 2 other contracts and atleast 7+ offers in total.

So, we are closing tomorrow, just got an email from her that she has a class (BOLD, it's called?) and WON'T be at the walk-thru and closing!

Is this the norm for a realtor? We literally may never see her again....and haven't since that night that she came here and was happy to get her hands on our sigs/contract.

She has asked us atleast 3 times over the past 6wks for a 'recommendation letter'...last I told her that I would do it AFTER closing.

At this point, I don't feel like she deserves one. There were a few times where she got snarky with me, because I had to put some fire under her bottom regarding some issues that came up...once I put that fire there, she kicked in, but without that fire, she was 'taking her time'.

Opinions?

Is this the reality? Or am I being too harsh?

Thanks!
You are not being too harsh. I would certainly lodge a complaint about her with her BIC. And I certainly would not write her any letter of recommendation - she didn't earn it. I would let her know you do not appreciate being dropped like the ugly step-child the minute you got a contract. Not to attend the walk thru or closing? She didn't complete the job she signed on for.

Congrats on getting your house to closing

Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are not being too harsh. I would certainly lodge a complaint about her with her BIC. And I certainly would not write her any letter of recommendation - she didn't earn it. I would let her know you do not appreciate being dropped like the ugly step-child the minute you got a contract. Not to attend the walk thru or closing? She didn't complete the job she signed on for.

Congrats on getting your house to closing
Thanks.
I assume you read the upated post right above yours, that I just entered!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,510 times
I don't see an issue with you not seeing her face for a few weeks. But I'd want to hear emails/phone calls every so often for updates on the progress of the sale. If she gave updates and didn't drive to your house all the time for paperwork and to talk, I wouldn't have an issue with that. But that's me, as I work from home and work through phone and emamil communication mostly. Phone/email/fax is instantaneous than having a person drive over. That's mostly how our agent and I work. However I think if I requested him to come over then he would.

I also think you are relying on the agent too much when requesting that you are 'represented' at closing. You need to be aware of what is going on and make sure everything is ok. As for the paperwork/contracts you would want your own attorney there. Agents can't advise on that. Really, you are your best representation.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 PM

17,431 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Ok, everyone. Thanks for the input.

I don't want to rescind her commission, I don't want to get her in trouble, I want to get our profit check and move on. To eventually get the h*ll out of FL!

We managed to get our house sold (a huge part of it selling was due to her 'initial' efforts-which hugely waned-and the fact that we hugely and properly stage our home all by ourselves + our home was the ONLY one out of 7 on the mkt in our neighborhood, that was NOT a short sale/foreclosure)

So with that said, I was just curious (re-read my OP) if she was the 'norm'.

So, what I extracted from your varied responses, she is 50/50 of the norm. ?

Here was my today's email to her re: our closing tomorrow:

Me:
Why can't you attend the closing? I see you have some class but this closing was scheduled within the first week of this contract? So, 6wks ago....
So, who is going to be present at the walk-thru/closing as our representation?

Her:
I will not be there and sellers are not "represented" at closing. Some Realtors attend and some don't. I don't and I won't be as my class commitment was made before your closing was even scheduled.

So, there you have it. Responses now, to HER response?

A bit brusk if you ask me.

Thanks everyone. And yes, our closing date of the 18th, tomorrow, was in fact the initial date and has never once changed.

Lastly, I definitely will not be writing her a letter of recommendation, as she has asked me to atleast on 3 different occasions!
Yowza.

"Brusk" is not the 5 letter word I would use to describe her after reading that.

And yet again, I find it interesting the differences state to state - in Indiana, the buyer and seller MUST have representation from the brokerage present at closing or risk losing their license.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:02 PM

43,318 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Offer to hand over your recommendation letter AT closing....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate