Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do we blame; for the young homeless couples with 2 infants
The employer for downsizing due to recession 0 0%
The landlord for not been sympathetic 0 0%
This recession 0 0%
All of the above 4 15.38%
None of the above 22 84.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the OP may be confusing rent with charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
It is not my obligation as a property owner to provide housing below my costs to other families.
I agree.

I would add that as a renter, it is not my obligation to help the landlord meet his or her mortgage and property tax obligations. His/her costs are irrelevant and I will seek the best choice out there.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I agree.

I would add that as a renter, it is not my obligation to help the landlord meet his or her mortgage and property tax obligations. His/her costs are irrelevant and I will seek the best choice out there.
Of couorse.

And as long as both parties meet their obligations, it works all around.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:11 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Where / How did I get confused?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
Well, you wrote:
Quote:
[list][*]How come some landlords are increasing rent but others are not after a lease expires? Is it that those landlords who refuse to increase rent are rich or plain sympathetic to this great recession?
Not every landlord is in the same situation. Some are experiencing increased costs in heating oil, water bills, etc. In order to meet those costs, they have to raise rents. Are there landlords out there who raise rents simply because they can and don't really need that extra $25 or whatever per month? I'm sure there are but it's their building and they can increase rents when the lease is up if they choose to do so.

Quote:
NB my classmate's fiancee just plainly hasn't renewed any of her tenants lease for over a year now. She knows people are lossing their jobs!
I guess you mean that they are not raising rents. That's very nice of them but just because they are doing that doesn't mean all landlords who do are unsympathetic; they have bills to pay too.

Quote:
[*]For the tenants who renewed their lease since it's not advisable to occupy an apartment without a lease. Must these tenants pay the full rent or pay what and when they can afford ?
The landlord makes the rules. They set a price for the place. If you can't/won't pay it, you move. That's just reality. Any tenant that would simply pay what they can afford rather than the agreed amount of rent would find themselves evicted pretty quickly I'd say.

Quote:
A pharmacist with 4 years experience was just laid off- went from $120,000/year to $0 because of this recession. It's really sad.
It is very sad. I feel for those losing jobs but landlords are not charitable organizations and are many times not in a position to let emotional issues get in the way of their livelihood. I'm thinking that's what MoM meant by charity.

Last edited by cleasach; 02-06-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: turned WEll into Well

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Apparently, someone has mistaken the "real estate" forum for the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Quote:
MAM,
I respectfully disagree with you, and that doesn't happen often.

This is not about rent, real estate, or charity.

The thread is political in nature and just in the wrong forum.

OP,
I cannot speak to confusion. You came to a real estate forum with a political agenda, and whether you were confused or not, the "poll" was unrelated to real estate.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-06-2010 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
I guess there is some kind of backstory here that I am unaware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate