Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM

175 posts, read 671,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm just stunned at the listing agents and buyer agents in your area that are willing to waste their time.
Their time and mine! I work hard everytime I get a call to show my house. I put everything away, dust, mop, vacuum, wipe and scrub bathrooms, clean mirrors, sweep the porch, and if called for, blow leaves and mow the lawn. Looking at homes without any serious intention is just rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misueno View Post
Their time and mine! I work hard everytime I get a call to show my house. I put everything away, dust, mop, vacuum, wipe and scrub bathrooms, clean mirrors, sweep the porch, and if called for, blow leaves and mow the lawn. Looking at homes without any serious intention is just rude.
Not to mention for owners with dogs or kids, packing the dog up, missing naptimes, etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,722 times
Again, you are all naive if you think every buyer you show a house to is truly "serious". So sue me for being honest! My agent has been working for at least 10 years as a Realtor. But even if I did not have a buyer's agent, what is to stop me from going to see one of your listings right now? I just call you up, set an appointment, and go. Simple. At this rate I am getting a very good idea of what many of the homes in my target neighborhoods have had done.

If you don't want to show houses to people like me, then I guess you'll have to require a pre-approval letter of everyone you show to, at every price point (700k homes here do not require any such thing). Even then I'm not sure how much screening that would do, as I myself have a pre-approval letter at the ready for when I find my diamond in the sand. By the way my pre-approval letter goes up to 600k (the bank's version of what I can afford is seriously skewed), but I have no intention of spending more than 400, as I said before. And some homes that started out at 600 or 700 end up selling close to 400 after a year or so.

I am not wasting anyone's time, except my own.

My agent is there to show me houses, that is how she makes money.

The listing agent of the house I go see is there to show the house, that is how she makes money.

And since misueno brought it up, the seller is there to, well, put up and shut up. If you don't want people like me seeing your house, don't put it up for sale. Rent it. If you put your house for sale, ANYONE can go see it. There is no screening process, no background check, no retinal scan, etc.

How do any of you know that the people you show a house to are not just there to kick a few tires? You can't ever really know, can you? Does everyone who goes and test-drives an Audi buy an Audi?

But I digress: I simply spoke up for the hundreds of thousands of buyers out there, some of whom have DMed me to agree, who go see houses even though they think they are overpriced and are not serious about buying them.

Last edited by 17thingsihate; 02-12-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thingsihate View Post
My agent is there to show me houses, that is how she makes money.
So ... how much do you pay her everytime she shows you a house?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,722 times
Nothing. But hopefully she'll make 3 percent once I find something. Of course I give her little gifts all the time to show my appreciation, etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
I don't go see homes that are overpriced. I think that if a home is listed too high and they get lots of showings they think that they must be priced right (or pretty close to it) because they are getting lots of showings! Just my perspective.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:

How do any of you know that the people you show a house to are not just there to kick a few tires? You can't ever really know, can you? Does everyone who goes and test-drives an Audi buy an Audi?

There are many tire kickers out there, but that is what open houses are for. If your buyer agent wants to waste her time showing you houses you can't afford that is her choice. BUT the fact that you don't think you are wasting the listing agent's time or the time of the seller is unfortunate.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partnercorp5 View Post
because i am not getting any other feedback. because the people who have come to see it say it's nice but are not making offers. because my agent think it's overpriced.

so basically i should ignore emails to me or my agent regarding the price?

i will admit that based on the sold comps, my home is priced higher
You've gotten great feedback without realizing it. You've had 10 people come in that thought your house was too overpriced to make an offer. Your agent is probably right. You even admit that you're priced higher than the comps. I think you know you're overpriced also, so reduce it below the comps.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

Against my better judgment I will finally post something to this forum to once and for all dispel this notion that buyers don't go see houses they think are overpriced. I am a buyer and I go see houses that I think are overpriced ALL THE TIME. I go see them because I need to kill a few hours. I go see them because I want to see what people have done in terms of remodeling. I go see them to see what people have in their houses because I am nosy. I go see them because I want to see my competition in case I buy the house next door and need to sell in 5 years. I go see them because they may reduce the price to the point where I can actually afford it. I can only afford 400k but I go see 700k houses ALL THE TIME. I am sure there's lots of people just like me out there, seeing houses that they think are overpriced or are out of their range.
Quote:

somebody made the comment that if a house is overpriced usually buyers won't show interest. again this is not true. I show interest all the time in homes that I feel are overpriced.
I appreciate your honesty as it relates to why you seek to see properties that are asking substantially more than you can afford to pay.

None of these reasons however, are going to result in you actually buying one of these homes, unless of course, the seller reduces his price by 40%+/-. For this reason, I do not consider you to be a ready, willing or able buyer, when looking at property so far out of your price range.

It saddens me to think of the time and effort, some of these sellers put into preparing their homes in hopes that you might be the one.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Nothing. But hopefully she'll make 3 percent once I find something. Of course I give her little gifts all the time to show my appreciation, etc.

Most folk do not work for " little gifts", which reduces the credibility of your words.

As an aside, most U.S. buyers agents split the co-op with their broker and gross about 1.25-1.5%, upon closing a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate