Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM

234 posts, read 814,154 times

Advertisements

I think realtor's should cut their commissions. Don't get me wrong,some of them really hussle and work for it, but most I have seen do not. 6% was a fair commission when homes were half the price as they were today (about 8 yrs ago). I think it should be a flat fee in a tiered structure.

If the public had access to the mls, who needs a realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemc View Post
What does Coldwell Banker kick in to this?
Advertising $.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:33 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER876 View Post
I think realtor's should cut their commissions. Don't get me wrong,some of them really hussle and work for it, but most I have seen do not. 6% was a fair commission when homes were half the price as they were today (about 8 yrs ago). I think it should be a flat fee in a tiered structure.

If the public had access to the mls, who needs a realtor?
1. My market has been flat for 10 years. So if price are still the same, should I get a raise?

2. The MLS is a tool for its members. They input, manage and control the data. It is not a public utility.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER876 View Post
I think it should be a flat fee in a tiered structure.

Fee-for-service companies exist all over the nation. This model has been around for decades.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Fee-for-service companies exist all over the nation. This model has been around for decades.
Yep, and if it was really effective, the industry would've moved to that already.

If RE agents charged an hourly rate, many sellers (and ultimately, the buyers) would end up paying MORE than that 5-6% commission. Likewise, a low flat fee for listing, whether it sells or not ... how many sellers really commit to that?

People think it's easy ... well, buying that one house that was an "easy transaction" hardly represents the hours of shuffling paperwork and negotiating with other parties on agreements that all transactions entail to some extent.
Lets not get into the hair-ripping, rant-filled aspects when escrow screws something up, or the other party forgets something major 1 day before it's supposed to close, or the lender that said yes-yes-yes until a week before signing and now says no. Alas, the clients rarely see or understand that aspect ...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
Offering financial incentives makes alot of sense because Buyers are NOT "one price fits all." Some Buyers are short on cash and could use money for closing costs. Others may benefit from a lower interest rate - Seller pays discount points at closing to Buydown the Buyer's interest rate. This can create more of an impact than a standard price reduction. When Sellers reduce their price by $8,000 it lowers a Potential Buyer's payment by only $42.95/month. When a Seller funds a temporary buydown on a $300,000 purchase, it lowers a Buyer's payment by $311.08 the first year and $160.39 the second year. The cost for the Seller is ~$5,600.

Moderator cut: no advertising, please

Last edited by Marka; 04-29-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,819 times
Thumbs up Yes, Participate!!

Coldwell is not taking advantage of its sellers. Coldwell is taking a pro-active approach to try to stablize this unstable real estate market. No one knows what the market is going to do after this remarkable tax credit saga has ended. The "3% of the purchase price, up to $8000" credit at closing or buyer bonus...is something the buyer usually asks for now and in any buyers market. The seller isn't raising the listing price. Agents and Coldwell Banker are not getting paid any more money from the sellers that are participating in the program. Sellers are getting additional advertising opportunities for agreeing to something they most likely would have been asked to do from a buyer at the time of an offer being written. So I think you should have agreed to participate! I believe we are past the deadline. So did you decide to participate or pass?

I imagine other real estate company will be offering other sorts of promotions after the Coldwell program starts May 1st.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Hmm, two new members arriving in a week just to post about this particular program just as the gov't "no realtors left behind" tax credit is expiring. Sounds like things are getting tough out there.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
Not good for seller or buyer as 6% commission plus $8k will be tacked on to list price of house. Seller will have an overpriced house and the buyer would feel they are actually getting a credit/discount, but are actually paying more for the house in this sales gimmick as opposed to the real tax credit that is about to expire, go figure.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:10 AM

11 posts, read 177,328 times
If this is such a great program and CB really wants to help the economy, why aren't they kicking in a percentage from their own pockets? Nice of them to ask us seller's to kick in another 3% on top of our already incredibly low listing prices. Seems to me that everyone except for the seller stands to gain from this. Remember we seller's are already taking a big hit because of this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate