Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times

Advertisements

ways to cook a boston butt or pork shoulder, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
You could smoke it or slow roast it.

I don't buy them too big, though. I usually crockpot them or smoke/grill. Season it as you like.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Unsure you're going to eat the thing dry, without any sauce or vinegar based "dressing", smoking can be considered a waste...With smoking, you lose a lot of fat which equals flavor. If you're concerned about your health/weight, stay away from this super fatty cut of meat (lol).

99% of people will want sauce, therefore the crockpot is your best friend. Don't brine, marinade or put a rub a on, it's a waste of time and money. Rinse the meat, put in the crockpot fill the crockpot one inch high of WATER...Other will say soda, waste of money, just about everything is 99% water and the last 1% won't flavor your 7-10lb butt...Cook until the inside reaches 210 degrees. Turn off the heat, at this point there will be a ton of liquid which is flavorful fat. Drain into a sealed container. Leave the butt in the crock pot switched off with the lid on for a two hours. Pull or chop the pork right in the crock pot.

Put the fat liquid in a pan and let it reduce for a few minutes while you make the BBQ sauce. For the Sauce, use 3 cups of bottled regular sauce. Bullseye original, KC masterpiece original, cattlemans or sweet baby rays...3/4 of a cup of honey, one tablespoon of liquid smoke, and one tablespoon of cinnamon. Mix together, put one third of the BBQ sauce mixture into the boiling fat liquid. Mix for 30 seconds, it won't mix too well, and turn off the heat. When it's no longer hot, mix it right back into the pulled pork within the crock pot.

Some facts...Liquid smoke is an aromatic, in blind taste tests people cannot tell the difference between smoked food and food oven baked with liquid smoke added...

The average Joe, most likely your guest, probably won't like a complex BBQ sauce. They most likely grew up on the bottles I mentioned.

The method pointed out will most likely produce the best BBQ you'll ever experience...

Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM

31 posts, read 102,917 times
I agree with TheJagMan on the cooking technique, but I sear my butt before putting it in the crock pot and instead of water in the pot I use Scott's BBQ Sauce. The Scott's will flavor the meat (IMO) and added with the drippings is great for a finishing sauce. I try to defat the sauce first.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
"ways to cook a massive boston butt"

I don't have anything to add regarding cooking, but the title of your post caused me to laugh out loud!!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockThrill View Post
I agree with TheJagMan on the cooking technique, but I sear my butt before putting it in the crock pot and instead of water in the pot I use Scott's BBQ Sauce. The Scott's will flavor the meat (IMO) and added with the drippings is great for a finishing sauce. I try to defat the sauce first.
Good stuff, rep to you...But if you're going to put BBQ sauce on it when it's done, really no point to use BBQ sauce for your cooking/steaming liquid...

If anything is going to be flavored during cooking, it's going to be the outer 1/4" of meat at the bottom half of the butt...

Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
I've done this and with the dang old bone in to and its never tied.
Carnitas (using Boston Butt Roast) Recipe @CDKitchen

Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Here's another idea that involves the crock pot. I've made this and it was really good. Instead of water use a light beer. I used bud light lime but I think a Mexican beer would have been even better.

Slow Cooker Guisado Verde Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Top it with cheddar & sour cream.....

For pork shoulder this is AWESOME!

Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder Recipe | Real Simple Recipes

Do not skip the Chinese 5 spice if you make that recipe.

Okay here's one more idea:

Pulled-Pork Tacos - Recipes - Health.com

The best salsa to use for this recipe is a Chipotle Peach or something similar. Do not skip the cocoa powder. That literally makes the recipe!

All 3 of those recipes are tried & true.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Thanks all, much thanks.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Stuff your butt with garlic cloves, and when you think you have enough garlic stuffed in it, stuff it some more.

Rub the outside with olive oil and dust all sides well with garlic powder, kosher salt and fresh black pepper.

Brown all sides and place in a roasting pan on the center rack in your over and roast uncovered until cooked.

Outside should be well crisped and center should still be moist.

Remove your butt from the pan and let rest. While resting make a gravy with the pan drippings after removing as much oil as possible. Check gravy for salr and pepper and ad if needed.

Slice your butt and serve with gravy over hot white rice.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes