Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of bringing a fresh green salad with any combination of vegetables- add dried cranberries for a festive Thanksgiving touch. I always like to bring a large green salad to Thanksgiving dinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times
Thanks to everyone so far -salad is already taken care of. I think the cornbread casserole sounds good - anyone have any other recipes?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
You could make a pasta salad of some sort. One of our family favorites uses shell pasta, salad shrimp, chopped tomatoes, onions, green peppers, salt & pepper. The 'sauce' is just equal parts mayonnaise and miracle whip. You can add as much or as little as you like of all ingredients, to taste and depending on the size of the salad you need.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Sweet Potato Cassarole with brown sugar and marshmallows.

Not healthy. But very, very good. And a Thanksgiving tradition.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-21-2010, 02:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
A nice dish is cauliflower cheese - it's basically macaroni cheese made with cauliflower instead of macaroni. I add broccoli to mine too. It's a Christmas staple in my house (we're British so Christmas is a longer standing tradition for us than Thanksgiving). You can make it and put it in the fridge and then just reheat it when you arrive.

Another idea is a quiche - it can be served hot or cold so if the hosts just want to put it out as an appetizer while dinner is cooking they don't need to do anything, or can be eaten later in the day or even the next day.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I like to bring cold or room-temp salads to a potluck, so I don't have to worry about transporting a hot dish (like a hot crockpot) or keeping the dish warm. Sometimes food doesn't get served right away, so don't bring anything that isn't good if it's not piping hot or put together at the last minute.

I would have chosen a salad, but you said you didn't want that--you meant a green salad, right? There are lots of different kinds of salad. For instance, this is a good one to make a day ahead.

Celery Succotash Salad Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

Noodle dishes are also good, but they seem to go better in the summer or at least not with Thanksgiving.

I've made this Jell-O salad several times but in one big dish.

Cranberry-Pineapple Minis Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm a wild rice fan at Thanksgiving, so here's another of my wild rice recipes:

Wild Rice & Cranberry Salad

1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

Cook the wild rice.

While rice is cooking, boil fruit juices & sugar in saucepan. Boil 1 minute. Turn to simmer. Add cranberries. Stir while cooking. When cranberries start to pop, remove from heat.

Run wild rice under cold water in colander.

Mix cooked rice with cranberry mixture. Chill in frig. Garnish with walnuts before serving.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Thanks to everyone so far -salad is already taken care of. I think the cornbread casserole sounds good - anyone have any other recipes?
That cornbread casserole is delicious- folks have made it for Thanksgiving potlucks at work.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Does it have to go with the meal? It sounds like there is already a lot of dishes being brought. Are you interested in some dip or other appetizer recipes?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Another of my one-pan wonders: candied yams.

2 of the big cans of cooked yams (you COULD cook them yourself but I never saw the point).
Drain AND RINSE the yams until the syrup they're canned in is all drained away.
Spread them out in a big glass baking dish (like a lasagna dish).

Add:
A big palmful of brown sugar, scattered over the top.
A big palmful of raisins, scattered over the top.
A medium-sized can of chunked pineapple, canned in its own juice, including the juice.
A big fat splash of apple cider.
A clove set in each corner of the pan, and maybe 2 or 3 more stuck in the top yams in the middle.
A 1/4 of a small cinammon stick, ground to a fine powder (use a coffee grinder for this - MUCH better than pre-ground powder that's been sitting on a shelf for 4 years). Sprinkle that over the top.
Squeeze a tangerine over the whole thing (get rid of the seeds first)

Bake at 325-375 (depending on what else you need in the oven that day - anywhere in that range will work) Bake for around 10 minutes - then spoon some of the sauce from the bottom of the pan, over the top of the yams. Bake again for around 10 minutes. If the sauce is bubbling like crazy and the cinammon is properly soaked into the yams, and they're hot, then it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes