Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate this. I will make a new recipe exactly as written, in order to accurately evaluate it.
After that, I will either give it a pass forever, or always make it as written, or tweek it a little as I see fit.
When I give someone a recipe, it is already perfect. Why would they change it without trying the original first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I agree..the ratings should be on the recipe as written....then you can make changes. I hate having to go through at least 20 reviews to see if I need to tweak the original recipe before I even try the original recipe.

There is one site that is so bad...people rate it without even trying it. They just rate it if they "think" it will be bad or good.

Don't bother sugar coating it for me. When it comes to recipes, I want the truth.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
People go to these sites to get some ideas for dinner. It's only natural that they'll end up tweaking recipes to their personal taste or the current contents of their refrigerators.

I consider the comments people leave to be more interesting and helpful than the star rating, which I barely pay attention to.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
OH, I find the comments and tweaks useful, but more useful when they've actually made the recipe actually resembling the original one. That doesn't bother me so much, but the ones that are clearly trying to show what wonderful cooks they are and are using someone else's recipe to do that? Not impressed and wonder why they seem to think it might be impressive to anyone.

As someone said above, you post a recipe, and someone reviews it. If you don't like the recipe so much that you're going to change EVERY SINGLE THING in it (or even most of them), then post your own danged recipe, don't claim that you made the recipe that you're purportedly reviewing. You're not fooling anybody.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
People go to these sites to get some ideas for dinner. It's only natural that they'll end up tweaking recipes to their personal taste or the current contents of their refrigerators.

I consider the comments people leave to be more interesting and helpful than the star rating, which I barely pay attention to.

I find the comments in the reviews extremely helpful. I usually read them all before I try the recipe, and will often use the suggestions in the reviews the first time I try a recipe.

I really don't care for the recipe sites that don't have reviews. I want the feedback from real people before I spend the time and money on a new recipe.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
I know what you mean thl. I have been a member of Allrecipes since back when could post a recipe "review" without assigning stars. This was so much better than the current system of being forced to truly rate the recipe to post about it.

For many years I was one of the featured Top Ten reviewers on Allrecipes.com. Many of my reviews are still top reviews on many recipes (with thousands of likes). In all of those I would plainly indicate if I combined the suggestions in the other reviews/comments in making the recipe. I receive(d) many positive comments about providing the most popular "tweaks".

However, the ones that so clearly are not thoughtful reviewers and low raters drive me batty!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
OH, I find the comments and tweaks useful, but more useful when they've actually made the recipe actually resembling the original one. That doesn't bother me so much, but the ones that are clearly trying to show what wonderful cooks they are and are using someone else's recipe to do that? Not impressed and wonder why they seem to think it might be impressive to anyone.

As someone said above, you post a recipe, and someone reviews it. If you don't like the recipe so much that you're going to change EVERY SINGLE THING in it (or even most of them), then post your own danged recipe, don't claim that you made the recipe that you're purportedly reviewing. You're not fooling anybody.
Well. If that's what they are trying to do - ie, show they are wonderful cooks, then I totally got it wrong. I thought the people who mess up the recipes were truly bad cooks, with little interest in cooking, and no idea of what ingredients go together.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I find the comments in the reviews extremely helpful. I usually read them all before I try the recipe, and will often use the suggestions in the reviews the first time I try a recipe.

I really don't care for the recipe sites that don't have reviews. I want the feedback from real people before I spend the time and money on a new recipe.
I find the reviews and the tweaking to be helpful. I want to know beforehand if a sauce will come out watery unless it is thickened...

Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes and yes! It is so irritating when people write that they didn't have salt so they substituted sugar. They didn't have wine so they substituted vinegar. They wanted to cut the fat, so they left out the cream and then complain that the recipe was tasteless.

I always make the recipe as stated the first time. I may tinker around with it later but unless I follow it correctly the first time, I have no idea if it is a good recipe or not.
This is exactly what I do. First time is as written. After that, I can adjust it, tweak it, or make whatever substitutions I like. But I can't do any of that if I don't make it as it was written at least once.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I find the reviews and the tweaking to be helpful. I want to know beforehand if a sauce will come out watery unless it is thickened...
That's not the kind of tweaking anyone is referring to - that would be a real review to say that the recipe's sauce needed thickening. The kind of non-review review I object to is the kind where without ever trying the original recipe as written, someone substitutes darn near everything, including things that make no sense at all, and then blasts the recipe for not working out.

It reminds me of an elderly friend of mine who would tell me she had had to sew the same button back on her coat five times because no one knew how to make good quality clothes any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes