Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times

Advertisements

Any one have any good ideas for white cake mix? I'm making a co-worker a birthday cake, and she requested white/white. So, I'd like to spruce it up a little and maybe add a raspberry filling or something?
Also, can I frost a cake with just whipped cream? will it be dense enough?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,728 times
Not as fancy as doing a filling, but I make the white cake with the 'pokes' of jello, and just top that with whipped cream! Has to stay cool, tho, so it doesn't run!!

Raspberry Poke Cake Recipe from Betty Crocker

Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Whipped cream might go watery on you. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Instead of just whipped cream, you could try

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
12 ounces cool whip, thawed
Some people had a couple dashes of vanilla
Mix the cream cheese and sugar (and vanilla if using) until creamy. Fold in the cool whip. Frost the cooled cake.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM

good tips so far, thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Turn it into a Jello or Creamsicle Cake!

As I'm Veg*n- I opt for Gelatine-free Jello such as Jeannie (and it presents the same results) and Vegan Pudding Mix- but regardless, here are the recipes here!

Creamsicle Cake and Jello Cake.

You can use a Chantilly Cream or Cool Whip as topping... although I personally like to opt for Mock Cool Whip made from Coconut Milk.

I then usually top the cake with sliced berries. SO yummy!

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
You can break the cooled cakes into chunks and layer it with something -- tropical ambrosia salad (Cool Whip, crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges and maraschino cherries with coconut whipped together) is a good layering item -- or chunks of other fruit of your choice with Cool Whip. You can also whisk half a cup of Tang powder into the Cool Whip and use that instead.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I only use Duncan Hines cake mixes because I think they taste less fake.
A favorite white cake recipe of mine is Angel Cake with Lemon filling and cream cheese frosting.

Make a packaged angel food cake according to pkg instructions. I suppose you could use regular white cake, but I have not. Cool
Mix a jar of Lemon curd with 1/3 cup sour cream.
Slice the angel food cake into 3 layers
Spread the lemon curd filling on the two inside layers
Top with a typical cream cheese frosting. (8 oz cream cheese, 3 c powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, grated rind of a lemon, enough cream to make spreading consistancy)

Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
I've used Smuckers spreadable Raspberry fruit as well as Polaner all fruit spread in between white cake layers. I just bake the cake in two layers and spread the fruit in between layers (don't bring the fruit quite to the edge). I've used cool whip to cover the cake and another time I used a buttercream icing. I usually spread a layer of my icing/cool whip between the cake layers and then spread on the spreadable fruit to help keep the fruit from bleeding into the bottom layer of the cake. This just makes a more palatable cake than plain old white cake with white icing. The raspberry is really good.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Are you sure your co-worker won't mind stuff like raspberry filling if what she asked for is a white/white cake?

I am one of those people who dislikes things like fruit or ANY kind of fruit filling in cake. EG love raspberries, love chocolate, but would very strongly dislike any cake with raspberry in it.

Of course it's very possible that I am just weird when it comes to cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes