Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
made me laugh out loud when I read this.....God, what a great sense of humor you have.....I like that in a cyberfriend living in a nebulous data universe in the middle of nowhere - who also subscribes to CD!!!!!
Thank you!

As Jerry Seinfeld and/or Larry David wrote:

Tim: Jerry, it's our sense of humor that sustained us as a people for 3000 years.

Jerry: 5000.

Tim: 5000, even better. Okay, Chrissie. Give me a schtickle of flouride.

ETA: I just realized something hysterical about my suggesting to Jaxson that we share clothes and do each other's hair... I don't even know if Jaxson is male or female. HAHAHA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Add some diced cooked bacon.
I have a small container of bacon grease in my fridge I'll have to try this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
... I don't even know if Jaxson is male or female. HAHAHA!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

HAHAHAHA!!! Is that supposed to be a picture of "something" to give me a hint?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
HAHAHAHA!!! Is that supposed to be a picture of "something" to give me a hint?
No! Never even entered my mind you silly girl . I'm a mama

Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I only use sesame oil for this type of cooking and fried rice is best when using left over rice from a day or two ago. Toss in some vegetables you have in the fridge and poof you are pretty much done.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
We've only ever used this one (and my family are Chinese immigrants)! You could add peas and mushrooms if you'd like. Thinking about it now it's more of a breakfast dish 'cause we'd usually cook right in the mornings.

2 large eggs
6 ounces ham
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
4 cups cold cooked rice
2 tablespoons light soy sauce or oyster sauce, as desired

Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and pepper. Chop ham into cubes/squares.

Heat a wok or frying pan and add two tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs. Cook, stirring, until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry. Remove the eggs and clean out the pan.

Add two tablespoons oil. Add the rice. Add ham. Stir-fry for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a wooden spoon to break it apart. Stir in the soy sauce or oyster sauce as desired.

When the rice is heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix thoroughly. Serve hot.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Quote:
I make a very large pan of rice so it can sit in the fridge a day or two before I make fried rice.

3 T. Vegetable oil
2 lg eggs, beaten
1 c. diced meat; pork, chicken, shrimp I leave whole tails cut off
1/2 c. green onions, sliced (use green parts also)
3 c. cooked rice, cooled
1 T. Soy sauce
1/2 t. Sesame seed oil
Very similar to mine except I add oyster sauce. Just a touch - maybe a tablespoon or so. I've found that the oyster sauce is the "secret ingredient" that was needed to make it taste great. When I first tried to make fried rice I just used the soy sauce but it was always missing something. The oyster sauce solved that.

The great thing about fried rice is you can add whatever you want to it, so measurements pretty much go out the window. It's just a matter of adding and tasting as you go (at least in my case).

Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I was glad to find this old thread. I have some left over ham from supper last night and also some left over rice in the fridge.....so the thread gave me lots of ideas and liberty to be entirely creative (no need for Kikkoman Fried Rice Mix) I think I have some green onion (1 or 2), celery, carrot, and some dried mushrooms I will start to re-hydrate. With a simple green salad....I think I am in business. I also have a smidge of oyster sauce per HS Dude's suggestion.

This will help me use up left-overs, in my household the only way left-overs are welcomed is if they are "transformed" into something new. Just re-heating last nights supper is a "no-no".

Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I would love to serve this, but my husband thinks if it has eggs anywhere in the recipe, it's breakfast. Sigh.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Quote:
I make a very large pan of rice so it can sit in the fridge a day or two before I make fried rice.

3 T. Vegetable oil
2 lg eggs, beaten
1 c. diced meat; pork, chicken, shrimp I leave whole tails cut off
1/2 c. green onions, sliced (use green parts also)
3 c. cooked rice, cooled
1 T. Soy sauce
1/2 t. Sesame seed oil

In large skillet or wok heat 1 T. oil over medium heat. Add eggs & cook without stirring until set. Invert skillet over cutting board to remove cooked eggs. Cut into 1 1/2"x 1/2" strips I dab with paper towel to remove any excess oil then set aside. In same skillet heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Stir fry meat if raw, if precooked stir fry onions at same time as precooked meat for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in cooked rice & egg strips,(or other add ins below) sprinkle with soy sauce & stir well to mix, heat through then add sesame seed oil mix throughly I serve with rice noodles for crunch.

This is only a guide line I never follow a recipe when I make mine. You can add diced up mushrooms, cooked carrots, peas for color too. I've used regular white or yellow onions if I don't have green onions on hand.
This is a good recipe. I'd rep you but I can't right now...gotta spread it around.

When I've cooked fried rice, one of the things I've noticed that makes a difference - let the rice get really cold after you cook it initially. I put mine in the refrigerator for an hour before I start the "fried rice" process.

And the sesame oil makes ALL the difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes