Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM

133 posts, read 281,119 times

Advertisements

From the US Copyright office:

Quote:
A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Does that come in english? Are we in trouble here for posting recipes, as long as we honestly disclose where they came from?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Sounds like posting only ingredients list with simple instructions is likely safe. If the author is going into fine professional detail of cooking methods maybe it's not wise to post it. Recipes from actual cookbook collections might be off limits. Best to post links in most cases if recipe is not your own.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
If you are posting from a copyrighted recipe, whether online or in print, you cannot legally post the recipe without permission from the copyright owner. That's exactly right.

Posting the ingredients, or a description of the dish, with a link to the recipe is fine.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
Is this Forum governed by U.S. law, even if those who are using it post from other countries?

thanks for your answer

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 AM

*Notice* I am not a real attorney, but sometimes I play one in my fantasies.

Although many aspects of internet law are still evolving and developing and changing, it's pretty clear that this website, with offices in Chicago and servers in Texas, is governed by US law.

What's not nearly so clear is what happens in cases like yours, where you are accessing this website from another country, which may have completely different laws on things like copyright, libel, prohibited subject matter, etc. But as far as this specific topic goes, if any material is protected by copyright in any country, I'd say it really should not be posted here.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I asked the copyright question in the About the Forum which is now a sticky here. I got an infraction because I posted a cartoon where I could not see the copyright. While I understand the rules I'm not about to report a copyrighted recipe.

I can understand the author of a book or article and an artist wanting to copyright their work, but I don't understand copyright on recipes. Isn't the whole point of sharing a recipe to get others to try it and spread the recipe around? How can someone lose income from a recipe shared on the internet. Most recipes are just slight variations of something already out there. Now a copyright on a video about the recipe I could understand but again don't people make videos to share? why else would they put it on the internet?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can understand the author of a book or article and an artist wanting to copyright their work, but I don't understand copyright on recipes.
It's simple. If you create something... write, draw, photograph, paint, etc., US law says you are entitled to profit by the sale of that creation and to control how and when it is used. As creator you control the "right to copy."

Quote:
Isn't the whole point of sharing a recipe to get others to try it and spread the recipe around?
Possibly, but it might be the point to intrigue you into buying the book it came from. Or to watch the show the creator is on. Or to visit the restaurant which features the recipe. Or for any of a hundred other reasons. But just because the author shared it with you does not mean they want you to share it with anyone else. What they usually want, if you feel moved to share a recipe is to refer the person to them.

Quote:
How can someone lose income from a recipe shared on the internet.
Because that website derives income from advertising, or serves to promote the sale of a product, like a cookbook, or a primary ingredient. If you link to the site there is more traffic to the site, hence more audience for the advertising or promotional message. Repost that recipe somewhere else and they lose possible traffic to their site.

Quote:
Most recipes are just slight variations of something already out there.
To some degree, although the decision about whether something is actually original or not cannot properly, or legally be judged outside a courtroom.

Quote:
Now a copyright on a video about the recipe I could understand but again don't people make videos to share? why else would they put it on the internet?
Follow the money. Although some YouTube videos are just personal, posted for the lolz, high traffic videos can generate substantial income for their posters due to the views of paid ads that accompanies the viewing of the videos. And look at how many videos include a url to another site, which is also all about advertising or promotion or sales.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
When all is said and done, copyright boils down to something that you should have learned before even getting to kindergarten.

Don't use something belonging to someone else without first asking, and receiving, their explicit (not assumed) permission.

See how easy? If you always ask for and receive permission, before using something belonging to or created by someone else, you'll never be in violation of copyright.

The U.S. Copyright Office website specifically states that "but it's hard to get permission" is not a defense.

No copyright mark or registration is required for copyright to exist, as copyright exists from the moment something is created, on a computer or a paper napkin, doesn't matter.

As for copyright applying elsewhere, in any country that is a signatory to the Berne Convention, it applies.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
I asked the copyright question in the About the Forum which is now a sticky here. I got an infraction because I posted a cartoon where I could not see the copyright. While I understand the rules I'm not about to report a copyrighted recipe.

I can understand the author of a book or article and an artist wanting to copyright their work, but I don't understand copyright on recipes. Isn't the whole point of sharing a recipe to get others to try it and spread the recipe around? How can someone lose income from a recipe shared on the internet. Most recipes are just slight variations of something already out there. Now a copyright on a video about the recipe I could understand but again don't people make videos to share? why else would they put it on the internet?

A recipe forum I used to visit occasionally got into trouble for posting recipes from Todd Wilbur's Secret Recipe cookbooks.

The site was recipesecrets.net, and they were posting recipes copied word for word from Todd Wilbur's cookbooks. They were forced to take down his recipes, and apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes