Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times

Advertisements

It's fine to make a whole pie when there will be enough people around to eat it. What do you do when a whole pie is just too much? I found the solution, on a cooking show, that solved the problem. It's raining outside and the temps are chilly. A perfect time for a warm apple dumpling ...

Started with two apples and cored them. Don't cut all the way through the bottom but clean away the area where the bud begins. Create a well to hold the yummy filling ...

Fill the cavity with brown sugar and raisins (or you could add nuts or whatever you fancy)
I used the raisin/brown sugar mixture for these

Place a bit of butter on top of each apple ...

Now for the fun. Using your own pie crust recipe or a prepackaged one from the store, roll the dough a little thinner than you would for a pie. Cut a circle (or in my case an eyeball shape ) that's large enough to wrap completely around the apple.

Before baking.

When the dough is wrapped around the apple, brush it with an egg wash and roll in sugar.

Place wrapped apples on baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. They'll turn a golden brown and sometimes they go flat or misshapen. Fortunately, mine didn't do it this time but here it is, the baked apple dumpling.

This is what the inside will look like after baking. It looks naked, though. Needs ice cream or whipped cream over the top of it. I'll take care of that later. And since I made two, I still have one for the weekend.

Enjoy
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
OOOH! that looks good and I know my husbad would like it because it has raisins.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Thank you. I like raisins, too. And, it's a great alternative for one or two people.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
That's pretty creative!

When a whole pie is too much, I either make individual turnovers or mini pies using my muffin pan.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
That's pretty creative!

When a whole pie is too much, I either make individual turnovers or mini pies using my muffin pan.
That's another great idea, p&s. I'm going to remember your idea about mini pies in the muffin pans. Sometimes I'd like a little blueberry, blackberry or cherry pie and a small one, using the tins would be perfect! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Love that idea, gonna try them one of these days. Look sooooo good.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's another great idea, p&s. I'm going to remember your idea about mini pies in the muffin pans. Sometimes I'd like a little blueberry, blackberry or cherry pie and a small one, using the tins would be perfect! Thanks for the suggestion.
Anytime! I love taking big, traditional recipes that are meant to feed families and whittle them down, somehow, to one or two servings. Muffin tins are a great way of doing that. I've used them for mini cheesecakes, pot pies, meatloaf, etc., It just takes careful attention to the cooking times because smaller portions, and, sometimes, temperatures.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Anytime! I love taking big, traditional recipes that are meant to feed families and whittle them down, somehow, to one or two servings. Muffin tins are a great way of doing that. I've used them for mini cheesecakes, pot pies, meatloaf, etc., It just takes careful attention to the cooking times because smaller portions, and, sometimes, temperatures.

More great ideas! With the cold temperatures outside, I'll be doing a lot more inside cooking. I think the pot pies and meatloaf ideas are really great. Make a few extra and pop them into the freezer for a later day.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
More great ideas! With the cold temperatures outside, I'll be doing a lot more inside cooking. I think the pot pies and meatloaf ideas are really great. Make a few extra and pop them into the freezer for a later day.
I make mini cheesecakes this way, too. Making them in mini-muffin pans means that you can make several desserts and people can have a taste of all of them! Call me obsessive, but I love making mini meals and servings. I got into it when I started cooking for the folks at work.

I think I'm going to start a thread on mini meals to see what other people do.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM

A mini meals thread. Sounds pretty good

I just saw a show on the Live Well Network, I think it's called Best Recipes Ever, or something like that. Anyway, the host made a dessert that looked really good. Made with pears with a cheese cake filling.

She sliced the pears in half and cleaned out the center, leaving a well in the middle. On the stove, she made a cheesecake filling and pour a little into each well of the pear. She baked them in the oven until the filing set. Then served them on a plate with raspberries. Not only was it a pretty dessert, it looked delicious. I'm going to try that one very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes