Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,349 times

Advertisements

I've started incorporating these wonderful things in my diet as a replacement for potatoes. I boil them and eat them as a side dish or sometimes make Dominican Mangu. I was wondering though if anyone had other tips on how to use the green plantains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Take off the skin of the green plantain. Slice plantain every 1/2" to make circles.

Heat a few tablespoons of oil and a few tablespoons of butter (or use all oil).

Place plaintains flat in pan. Heat till lightly browned and flip to lightly brown on other side.

Remove plaintains and flatten each to approximately a 1/4" thick.

Put back into skillet and cook on each side until browned a little more.

Service with a little sea salt on top.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Tostones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cuban place where I eat this serves it with a creamy garlic sauce.

That you make with the plantains when they are still green. If you can set them out on your counter and wait until they are fully ripe, then you can easily peel them, slice them diagonally about 1/2 inch thick, and fry them on medium heat in a skillet with a little butter and olive oil. These will be really sweet and caramelize to nice golden brown if they are fully ripened. Perfect accompaniment to black beans and rice, with the protein of your choice.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Oh yeah, I used to fry these in Cuba. Now I just bake them; it is much healthier.

I find that just boiling green plantains and adding to food (besides being a good meat substitute) is a little plain

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Oh yeah, I used to fry these in Cuba. Now I just bake them; it is much healthier.

I find that just boiling green plantains and adding to food (besides being a good meat substitute) is a little plain

How long do you bake them and at what temperature? I have never tried them because I thought they were always fried.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
How long do you bake them and at what temperature? I have never tried them because I thought they were always fried.
They taste pretty similar, just a bit lighter. This is the recipe I used...it's great

Baked Tostones | Skinnytaste

Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
A favorite of mine is fish and green banana soup. I don't have an exact recipe, so you can try to figure out the measurements.

Sautee lightly garlic, chopped onion and fresh thyme in oil until the onions are translucent. Don't let the ingredients get dark. Add water to be equal to the amount of soup you'd like. Add cut up green bananas in medium pieces. Big enough for a mouthful.

After the bananas are almost cooked, add fish cut into pieces. You can use red snapper or any fresh ocean fish. After the fish has cooked for a couple of minutes, turn it off and correct for salt. The most important part is Add Fresh LIME juice to taste. Tastes great w/crusty bread.

*I mistook green plantains for green bananas! Leaving the recipe because it is good. Ugh I prefer to eat my plantains ripe and fried. Is it safe to eat green plantains? We always waited for them to ripen before cooking and eating them. *

Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
A favorite of mine is fish and green banana soup. I don't have an exact recipe, so you can try to figure out the measurements.

Sautee lightly garlic, chopped onion and fresh thyme in oil until the onions are translucent. Don't let the ingredients get dark. Add water to be equal to the amount of soup you'd like. Add cut up green bananas in medium pieces. Big enough for a mouthful.

After the bananas are almost cooked, add fish cut into pieces. You can use red snapper or any fresh ocean fish. After the fish has cooked for a couple of minutes, turn it off and correct for salt. The most important part is Add Fresh LIME juice to taste. Tastes great w/crusty bread.

*I mistook green plantains for green bananas! Leaving the recipe because it is good. Ugh I prefer to eat my plantains ripe and fried. Is it safe to eat green plantains? We always waited for them to ripen before cooking and eating them. *

I can't get used to green bananas/plantains in soups. They have a goey consistency and just don't taste like anything. I know Puerto Ricans love them boiled in soups with cilantro and chicken stock, but I don't like them in soups. They are great as tostones (baked/fried chips). The ripe ones are OK fried (called Mariquitas in Cuba) and eaten with plain white rice, but I find it hard to get them just ripe (either too ripe or under ripe).

I love the dominican Mangu which I make often instead of mashed potato, though

Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 PM

Oh, I almost forgot:

Take your greenish plantains (what we call "pintos" in Puerto Rico becaue
they have splotches of lighter green or yellow on the skin and they're
softer to the touch), peel them, and cut them in half right down the
middle... you'll have 2 pieces that look like horns <smile>...

Place them, individually, in a piece of aluminum foil big enough to fold
over and twist the ends... make a deep cut in the platano but not all the
way down... sprinkle a dash of adobo seasoning with pepper on it and put
some queso de bola (Edam cheese) or sharp cheddar cheese in the cut... add a
couple of pats of butter to this (or 3 or 4 if they're big platanos) and
wrap it up... make sure the neds are twisted tight and the top of the
platano with the cheese faces up...

Place the platano packs in a baking pan and cook it at 350 degrees until you
can pierce it with no resistance... just make sure you don't pierce it
straight through or the yummy stuff will leak out... when it's done let it
stand for a few minutes and enjoy!

It sometimes takes 30 minutes, sometimes 45... it all depends on the degree
of ripeness...

You can also cook this on your grill with great results...

Now, if you love pinto plantains, get some to make the stuffing for your
turkey... just make sure it's more green than ripe...

Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
They taste pretty similar, just a bit lighter. This is the recipe I used...it's great

Baked Tostones | Skinnytaste
Wow, super simple -- thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes