Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times

Advertisements

Yum...enchiladas! I'm making those tonight too! I recommend El Pato sauce or Hatch Enchilada sauce...you can find both on Amazon if your favorite grocery store doesn't carry them. Really good sauce and doesn't have that awful canned sauce taste that the other enchilada sauces do. Someday though... I am going to make my own.

I always include a bit of pinto beans into the meat as well, it makes them extra super tasty. I also add some cheese into the meat mixture, green chiles, green onions and black olives. Roll these all into warmed up corn tortillas that I've dipped into the heated enchilada sauce (you can use flour too but I don't like the gummy taste), fill with the meat mixture, top with more sauce and a cheese mixture ( I usually grate my own, I don't like the preservatives taste of the already grated cheese from the store although the convienence can't be beat) of sharp chedder, monterey jack and sometimes pepper jack or a habenero cheese. Then I top with a few more green onions and black olives. Bake, then I top with some cilantro. Mexican rice and refried beans with cotija cheese on the side. I never use sour cream personally (only with burritos) but many people love that.

Enjoy, and let us know how they turn out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was going to try to make enchiladas myself. I have these basic ingredients.
Ground beef.
Taco bell mild taco sauce
green mild chile enchilada sauce
Fresh pico degallo( onions, tomato, cilantro and other stuff)
Taco mix cheese( cheddar and monterey jack, plus taco sseasonings)
Sour cream.
Then a mexican rice from Lipton or rice and beans from Zattarains.
Soft tortilla shells
Is that about enough?
Meh, not what I would use but it'll do I guess.

Shredded beef instead of ground for me. Taco bell sauce? really? you could just go to Taco bell.

Soft tortilla shells? Never heard of a shell for enchiladas. King size corn only please.

Also the Mexican rice from Lipton's just toss that sodium laden junk in the trash. Make you own for cheaper and just about the same amount of time. Easy and tasty recipes on the net. Then you can heat your own beans and top the rice.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
So, nobody uses spices in the meat other than what's in the enchilada sauce?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I mix a little chili powder into the shredded beef. Gives it a smoky flavor.

Lots of options for your question. Garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, chili powder etc... However if you use quality meat let that flavor shine through and not try to cover it up to much.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Always use corn tortillas for enchiladas. Flour...blasphemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Las Palmas is available from Amazon.com, if your local store doesn't have it.

(to jasper12!)
I make Enchiladas from scratch and recently tried the Las Palmas and others. It's just a base just rendered chili peppers or poblanos in water. I make my own sauce .. Wal Mart carries those products here but it's just sort of an ingredient in a decent sauce in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
It's a crime to use flour tortillas for enchiladas.
Absolutely!
Quote:
Flour ... blasphemy
Corn ... just plain blahs

I'll take flour.

The enchiladas I had when I lived in TX were always flour tortillas. Other than the cheese and sour cream, I thought that's what Tex Mex is?
Where in Texas was this??? It's corn here for sure. I think you're confusing some other item with enchiladas..

Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Got to have:

1. Old El Paso HOT Enchilada Sauce
2. Black Olives
3. Onions (green and yellow)
4. Coarsely ground 80/20 ground beef ("chili meat")
5.Kraft cheese
6. Corn tortillas only

I get the best results with my recipe when I use these items.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Where in Texas was this??? It's corn here for sure. I think you're confusing some other item with enchiladas..
Nope, I'm certain I always ordered cheese enchiladas with a choice of red or green sauce. This was in Amarillo.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Nope, I'm certain I always ordered cheese enchiladas with a choice of red or green sauce. This was in Amarillo.
Well Amarillo is far enough to the north they may serve New York enchiladas. LOL! The corn taste in the tortillas is what truly gives an enchilada the great flavor. I like my flour tortillas for breakfast type tacos and carne guisada (my favorite). Flour for fajita tacos and al carbon and such. Flour tortillas are usually served along side Mexican dishes of all sorts. I happen to love corn everything...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I use tons of spices - chili powder, cumin (LOVE cumin) onion and garlic powder, adobe powder, and the green chiles I mix in add a nice taste as well. Sometimes I add a douse of different pepper sauces/taco sauces, it really depends on my mood.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Well Amarillo is far enough to the north they may serve New York enchiladas. LOL! The corn taste in the tortillas is what truly gives an enchilada the great flavor. I like my flour tortillas for breakfast type tacos and carne guisada (my favorite). Flour for fajita tacos and al carbon and such. Flour tortillas are usually served along side Mexican dishes of all sorts. I happen to love corn everything...
I agree, I don't understand the love for flour tortillas in enchiladas as it's not authentic or natural. I've dined at many an authentic Mexican restaurant (always a mom and pop shop, and including places in Mexico) and it's always corn tortillas. But hey, to each their own, some people prefer that taste. Again, everyone has the right to their own opinon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes