Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times

Advertisements

I used to love trying recipes and making adjustments and deciding what I like best, but unfortunately I have to watch what I eat now, and only get to splurge a few times a year so I have to rely on the charity of others to guide me to the good stuff.

I like tex mex style with lots of cheese and sour cream. I prefer flour tortillas, but I think they're usually interchangeable if a recipe calls for corn tortillas. Anyone have a great Beef Enchilada Casserole recipe for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Any great enchilada recipe starts with quailty meat, cheese,tortillas and sauce. Other than that it's just about layering.

Cook your self a great tasting roast in the crock pot slowly with lots of good seasonings. Use good quailty monterey jack cheese that YOU grate yourself. Lastly you need a good sauce if you think you cant make one yourself then get Las Palmas or El Pato enchilada sauce put into pan and thicken a little before using. Oh yeah the tortillas, get fresh made if you can.

When I don't make my own sauce I get one can of El Pato Jalapeno sauce, one can of the El Pato green enchilada sauce and mix.

Sometimes I will sautee red, orange and yellow peppers with onions and layer them in with the beef.

I also like cilantro in my casserole.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
I usually use the recipe on the side of the Las Palmas enchilada sauce can.

And if you make your recipe with flour tortillas - you'll be making wet burritos - not enchiladas!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I usually use the recipe on the side of the Las Palmas enchilada sauce can.

And if you make your recipe with flour tortillas - you'll be making wet burritos - not enchiladas!
Then wet burritos it will be.

Do we have Las Palmas in Idaho? I'll have to check.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Always use corn tortillas for enchiladas. Flour...blasphemy.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Las Palmas is available from Amazon.com, if your local store doesn't have it.

(to jasper12!)

Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It's a crime to use flour tortillas for enchiladas.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Flour ... blasphemy
Corn ... just plain blahs

I'll take flour.

The enchiladas I had when I lived in TX were always flour tortillas. Other than the cheese and sour cream, I thought that's what Tex Mex is?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I used to love trying recipes and making adjustments and deciding what I like best, but unfortunately I have to watch what I eat now, and only get to splurge a few times a year so I have to rely on the charity of others to guide me to the good stuff.

I like tex mex style with lots of cheese and sour cream. I prefer flour tortillas, but I think they're usually interchangeable if a recipe calls for corn tortillas. Anyone have a great Beef Enchilada Casserole recipe for me?

I got this one from Taste Of Home and I have made it 3 or 4 times since July of this year. So far, it is my favorite at-home enchilada recipe. If you try it let me know what you think - it is not my own recipe, but I am copy/pasting it for you.

Beef 'n' Rice Enchiladas Recipe

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH...C10480D29C.jpg Beef 'n' Rice Enchiladas Recipe photo by Taste of Home http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH...e_Spoon_50.gif Read reviews (21)
Rate recipe
With a toddler in the house, I look for foods that are a snap to make. Loaded with beef, cheese and a flavorful rice mix, these enchiladas come together with out any fuss. But they're so good that guests think I spent hours in the kitchen. -Jennifer Smith Colona, Illinois
This recipe is:

Contest Winning

Beef 'n' Rice Enchiladas Recipe
  • Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
  • Yield: 10 Servings
30 10 40 Ingredients

• 1 package (6.8 ounces) Spanish rice and pasta mix
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce, divided
  • 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
  • 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divded
Directions

• Prepare rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in Spanish rice and 1-1/4 cups enchilada sauce.
  • Spoon about 2/3 cup beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each with 1/3 cup cheese; roll up.
  • Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 10 enchiladas.

The only changes I have made are to use a Mexican Rice and Pasta mix (instead of Spanish rice), and I use one can of hot and one can of mild enchilada sauce. I always have extra cheese, sliced black olives, sour cream, and diced tomatoes on the table for hubby to add and I always serve re-fried beans with it. I love it, personally.

Last edited by Beretta; 11-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: copyright violations; please link to copyrighted pictures, etc.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
I was going to try to make enchiladas myself. I have these basic ingredients.
Ground beef.
Taco bell mild taco sauce
green mild chile enchilada sauce
Fresh pico degallo( onions, tomato, cilantro and other stuff)
Taco mix cheese( cheddar and monterey jack, plus taco sseasonings)
Sour cream.
Then a mexican rice from Lipton or rice and beans from Zattarains.
Soft tortilla shells
Is that about enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes