Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I like cheese ramen with an egg. Also, without the egg. Or with just cheese.
OliviaJasonKim: Shin Ramyun w Cheese (Instant Spicy Noodles w Cheese)

Or with a couple of dollops of hot Korean pepper paste. G o c h u j a n g . Can mix or match. What's your special flavoring or way of cooking?

I like them no more than twice a month and then chicken with Franks Red Hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
I'd say I eat Ramen noodles about 3 times a month. Or so. Maybe a package a week. A long time ago, I read some web site that said, "Don't kid yourself. Ramen noodles are the same as boiled potato chips. It's just deep fried flour steeped/cooked in hot water."
And my eyes were opened. I mean, I knew they were bad for you. But, looking at it as a 800 calorie bowl of fried potato chips was just ... the paradigm shift.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,160,538 times
Yeah, I gave them up as they are just so darn fattening. But I do love them...so every once in a while I will make them. It's been a long time though.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
I must be the outcast here because I have never had them.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'd say I eat Ramen noodles about 3 times a month. Or so. Maybe a package a week. A long time ago, I read some web site that said, "Don't kid yourself. Ramen noodles are the same as boiled potato chips. It's just deep fried flour steeped/cooked in hot water."
And my eyes were opened. I mean, I knew they were bad for you. But, looking at it as a 800 calorie bowl of fried potato chips was just ... the paradigm shift.
Boiled potato chips...say it ain't so

Different brands must vary greatly in calories. I use Maruchan, and the calorie count for one 3 oz packet is 390.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Not trying to be contrary or anything, honest.....but why would you make a recipe of, say broccoli and noodles using ramen noodles and throwing out the packet of seasoning stuff? why not just use....noodles? Angel hair pasta, spaghetti, penne.

I understand "I was out of anything else and I was hungry". But really? Recipes?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:55 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,980 times
I am quite tired of ramen. I grew up eating it when it wasn't as well known I guess, my parents lived in Japan (I was born there) and picked up the ramen habit there. After that, well, economics have given me plenty of periods of "ramen time" and so it's like beans and rice to me, just don't care if I ever have to eat it again. I only eat it when I really have to cut back on spending.

However, when I do eat ramen, I definitely like it "sticky", with most of the water drained off before adding the packet. Sometimes we make a bunch, drain most of the water, then stir fry the noodles with mixed veggies and a bit of meat if available. Really not bad that way.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,519,129 times
I love spicy ramen. I use most of the seasoning packet and I add freshly chopped thai chili peppers, Chinese parsley and whatever cabbage I have on hand. Other times I might add bean sprouts and fish cake.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
I agree, way too much sodium in the ramen spice packets, nice ways suggested here to 'doctor' it up using other ingredients to use as a side dish (or not) etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Not trying to be contrary or anything...
You can't sneak-up if you announce you're coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
...but why would you make a recipe of, say broccoli and noodles using ramen noodles and throwing out the packet of seasoning stuff? why not just use....noodles?...
Why do the Japanese feel the need to use Udon noodles - they could simply use Angel Hair or Penne. Why do the Vietnamese think they should use rice noodles in Pho - they could have simply used another noodle, say Sponge Bob-shaped macaroni noodles or Lasagna sheets.

I like the texture of Ramen noodles in some soup recipes but I don't care for the seasoning packet. Also, I would hate to pay the dental bill if I served uncooked pasta shells in a salad instead of uncooked Ramen noodles.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-19-2013 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes