Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

Question. I have a dehydrator, a cheapo Nesco one. Works fine, I make jerky a lot in it. I usually make my jerky with sirloin steaks or any cut of beef that's on sale. I season it myself, so it comes out slightly different each time. (A work in progress?)

Anyway, years ago, my husband had a boss who would make beef jerky in the office every couple of weeks. He used ground beef and pre-mixed seasonings, and a jerky extruder. Of course, this jerky was better in every way than MY jerky.

So I am trying some beef jerky using ground beef. I found a recipe online for the seasonings, and only tweaked it a little.

My problem is, I don't have an extruder, and I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to how to make the seasoned ground beef jerky-like? Roll it and cut it? But then how do I transfer it to my dehydrator trays?

It's marinating now, and I do intend to run to Target or Academy or somewhere tomorrow morning to try and find an extruder gun....but if I don't find one, what are my options, short of jerky flavored meatloaf??

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Why not just order one of these? It's only around $20 including shipping.

Amazon.com: Nesco BJX-5 American Harvest Jumbo Jerky Works Kit: Kitchen & Dining

In the meantime, maybe you can spread it out with a rolling pin on parchment paper?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM

Ended up using the old trusty ziplock bag with a corner cut off. I just smooshed the pieces with my fingers after squeezing them out, so they're flat.

We'll see in several hours how that worked out!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Ended up using the old trusty ziplock bag with a corner cut off. I just smooshed the pieces with my fingers after squeezing them out, so they're flat.

Let me know! My kid loves slim jims but I won't let her eat too many of them. (it's a very rare treat for her) I saw the extruder guns but reviews says they are more trouble than their worth and the pricier ones are too expensive.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:

Pemmican Injunnuity. (sic)

Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Pemmican Injunnuity. (sic)
Haha! Correct!

It worked, came out really good, texture-wise. I need to adjust my marinade though. Recipe I used has waay too much soy sauce. They're pretty salty and taste a lot like ..... well ..... soy sauce.

I still want a jerky gun, though.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Let me know! My kid loves slim jims but I won't let her eat too many of them. (it's a very rare treat for her) I saw the extruder guns but reviews says they are more trouble than their worth and the pricier ones are too expensive.
I made another batch and cut down the seasonings.....way too much! The texture is great, I used a disposable cake decorating bag this time, without the decorating tip....just cut the end of the bag off. Pretty much the same as using a ziploc. Pretty easy and you just have to smush it flat before dehydrating. But this batch tastes just like dehydrated hamburger. Heh. My dog now has a bag of healthy treats.

I think the method is fine, just get good lean ground beef and use a bag with the corner cut off to extrude it onto the dehydrator trays, then flatten with your fingers. I pick up the pieces of extruded jerky and smush between finger and thumb, otherwise you'll end up having it stuck on the trays.
You just need to find a good recipe that you like the taste of.

I'm workin on it.

Speaking of which, anyone have a good jerky seasoning recipe???

Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM

This is the recipe I am thinking of using for the slim jims. Slim Jim Clone 2 In A Food Dehydrator Recipe

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
This is the recipe I am thinking of using for the slim jims. Slim Jim Clone 2 In A Food Dehydrator Recipe
Hmmmm. Interesting. You could do this with the ground beef, using a baggie like I did. Just cut the tip off the corner leaving a pretty small hole and don't smush them flat.

I think I may try this! Surprised at the corn syrup, though, although I guess it's not much when mixed into 2 lbs of beef.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm. Interesting. You could do this with the ground beef, using a baggie like I did. Just cut the tip off the corner leaving a pretty small hole and don't smush them flat.

I think I may try this! Surprised at the corn syrup, though, although I guess it's not much when mixed into 2 lbs of beef.
It probably acts as a binder and harmonizes all the spices. I don't like sweet meats but I do see adding a touch of brown sugar/sweetener to blend all the spices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes