Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,022 times

Advertisements

I'd love to have fresh made scones for breakfast some weekend morning but I'm not very eager to start baking early in the morning. So, I'm wondering, if anyone knows, if it's okay to make the dough the night before and let it sit over night? If so, should the dough be kept in the fridge or out on the counter?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Yes, there are many dozens of recipes online for doing this, including the following:

Simple Scones: King Arthur Flour

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
Scones, like pie crusts and cakes, are about minimizing gluten. Gluten forms when flour is mixed with water (or milk, which has a lot of water in it). The trick is to avoid overworking the dough and to get it into the oven as soon as possible.

Anything that has a lot of sugar (like chocolate chip cookie dough) can sit around a long time because the sugar inhibits gluten formation.

Long story short: Yes, you can refrigerate unbaked scones, but they won’t be as tender or rise as high.

I had a roommate from college who was from the UK. She used to make scones almost daily. She could whip up a batch in 10 minutes (not including baking).

Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Scones, like pie crusts and cakes, are about minimizing gluten. Gluten forms when flour is mixed with water (or milk, which has a lot of water in it). The trick is to avoid overworking the dough and to get it into the oven as soon as possible.
Good points. I'd add that choosing the right flour helps. Cake flour is lower gluten than bread flour. Bread needs gluten to stretch and hold the bubbles that form so the bread is light, but cake wants to be tender, so cake and pastry flour has less gluten.

The King Arthur recipe I posted calls for Unbleached All-Purpose Flour. All-Purpose is sort of a compromise between cake and bread flours, so if you only use a small amount of flour this is the kind to get. An unbleached means that it is a light tan in color, rather than being chemically bleached to be white. It's healthier than bleached flour, and who cares if scones are tan?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.
It’s absolutely essential to use unbleached flour in scones and biscuits. Bleached flour has a slightly metallic taste. You don’t notice it in cookies because of the sugar, but it really stands out in scones and biscuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes