Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,074,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I made dill pickle bread last week. It was really good!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/70...-pickle-bread/
Looks interesting , unless you want toast with jam, then it gets more interestinger.

Early American settlers threw everything in the bread, left over vegs from dinner went in the dough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That’s an earlier post, before I read that freezing yeast is bad. There’s quite an assortment of advice out there!

Anyway, the yeast from that same room-temp packet did the job just fine for the next two rounds of making bread. I, too, just mix the dry yeast with the other dry ingredients, just flours and salt, sometimes caraway seeds. It works; no muss, no fuss, all in one bowl.

The remaining yeast from the next packet has also been sitting in the kitchen, sealed and dry but unrefrigerated. I am dithering over whether I should refrigerate it. I think the most recent bread I made was about two weeks ago, and the heat this week doesn’t make me feel like baking. But I do miss eating my own bread. We are also steering clear of grilling because it’s been windy for almost every day of the last two weeks.

Wishing for a big cooldown with RAIN for our parched earth.
Yeast loses 10% every 7 days in the freezer, supposedly.
Weather is cold in Northern Maine 51F, perfect for baking.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,733,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Yeast loses 10% every 7 days in the freezer, supposedly.
Weather is cold in Northern Maine 51F, perfect for baking.
Now THAT is an interesting tidbit. My only experience with freezing yeast was taking a roll-size piece from the rest of the fresh dough and immediately sealing it and freezing it to bake another time. I had read conflicting comments, namely that yeast does badly after freezing, and that yeast dough freezes well and bakes up beautifully. Huh?

So I tested the stuff myself. Can’t remember how long the dough was left in the freezer, maybe 10 to 14 days. I thawed it overnight in the fridge, let it sit in the kitchen the next morning for about 60 minutes, kneaded it a few minutes, rested it half an hour, and then baked it. It turned out well. Not sure if this proves much except that the yeast in frozen dough doesn’t necessarily die.

I envy you your perfect baking weather. Monday is supposed to cool down to the 60s, so maybe I can mix a batch of dough Sunday night, to bake Monday night. I bought a bottle of “Everything Bagel” seasoning mix. White and black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic powder, onion powder. I sprinkle water on top of the risen dough before covering for the first part of the baking. Would that be a good time to sprinkle the seed mix on top of the spritzed dough? Or maybe I should sprinkle caraway seeds on top instead.

Feels strange to actively miss baking bread. Although I generally like cooking well enough that it isn’t drudgery, I have never really missed cooking something before.

Last edited by pikabike; 05-07-2020 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 12:57 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,526,754 times
I just dare you to find Bread Flour in the grocery store. I've been stopping at every grocery store.

With the Covid 19 situation, I've never seen such a lack of all purpose flour and yeast. It's like everyone's making their own bread. But bread flour has taken me 3 weeks to find on store shelves, and I bought 10 lbs. yesterday. Publix was holding the price very high--and I got the last 2 bags.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:11 AM

We have a local flour mill. For a while during the peak hoarding of dry goods, all flours were wiped out. The local stores have stocked larger bags of their bread flour for a few weeks now, plus large and small bags of their pastry flour. But I still haven’t seen the 5-lb bags of bread flour available in a long time. I got one of the last few by getting lucky, I guess. I also got lucky in finding a 5-lb bag of Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat flour.

My acquisitions should last me till at least late fall, given that the warm/hot season is here.

Yeast, OTOH, has been practically nonexistent. We got lucky on that one, finally. I’m set for the rest of the the year on that (nope, not hoarding, just don’t expect to use it much during the summer). Should be similar on baking powder, because BEFORE the virus hit, I had bought a new can thinking there was none on hand when I already had an opened can of it.

Toilet paper is the thing that worries me. It is STILL scarce. We are set for a few weeks.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:28 PM

Default Great recipe online for grilled herb flatbread

I am a happy camper after making this tonight on the range instead of a grill (windy outside). It was easy to make, delicious, and worked beautifully with the one alternation I did, which was to use roughly 40% whole wheat flour and 60% bread flour. I let it rise for 4 hours before cooking, though. That’s how long it took the dough to double in size.

https://www.thebakerchick.com/easy-grilled-flatbread/

Thanks to thebakerchick for the recipe and the clean, quick-loading webpage. Now I know we can have fresh, warm yeast bread even in the warm season, courtesy of either the grill or the frypan. The yeast and herbs smelled so good!

Old 05-09-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I am a happy camper after making this tonight on the range instead of a grill (windy outside). It was easy to make, delicious, and worked beautifully with the one alternation I did, which was to use roughly 40% whole wheat flour and 60% bread flour. I let it rise for 4 hours before cooking, though. That’s how long it took the dough to double in size.

https://www.thebakerchick.com/easy-grilled-flatbread/

Thanks to thebakerchick for the recipe and the clean, quick-loading webpage. Now I know we can have fresh, warm yeast bread even in the warm season, courtesy of either the grill or the frypan. The yeast and herbs smelled so good!
Thats really good, I used to make big commercial batches of croissant dough every day, I'd cut a 1 lb chunk off and it makes nice flat bread. I cooked it right on a gas stove, right on the burner , just keep flipping it.
Some people use a flat pan but theres no need, any bread dough works.
https://youtu.be/lsI08y6jwaQ

Old 05-14-2020, 08:38 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times
Quote:
Not dill bread but dill pickle bread? Never heard of it. You could shape it to make hotdog buns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Looks interesting , unless you want toast with jam, then it gets more interestinger.
LOL. It's great for sandwiches, and for just plain toast (no jam! although maybe tomato jam? Hmmm ... ). I used it for tuna salad sandwiches, turkey, ham, and grilled cheese. Hamburgers and hot dogs would be good, too.

Something different to play with. If you can find the yeast and flour ...

Quote:
Yeast, OTOH, has been practically nonexistent.
I did a quick Amazon check - a pound sack will cost anywhere from $14-$25. How long would it take to use a pound of yeast?

One seller listed two three-packet strips for $24.99. I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to buy that.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
LOL. It's great for sandwiches, and for just plain toast (no jam! although maybe tomato jam? Hmmm ... ). I used it for tuna salad sandwiches, turkey, ham, and grilled cheese. Hamburgers and hot dogs would be good, too.

I did a quick Amazon check - a pound sack will cost anywhere from $14-$25. How long would it take to use a pound of yeast?

One seller listed two three-packet strips for $24.99. I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to buy that.
One of the times I hunted for yeast, a small store had bottles of active dry yeast that would take me at least two years to use up. When the 3-packet strips became available, I bought two of them. and I still have 2 packets left from the previous strip. This ought to be enough for many months, with reduced-baking season here.

The price, even after the hoarding made yeast so scarce, was still under $2 per strip. So far, anyway!

I am soooo careful to measure portions of each packet opened, since I only use a third of each packet per session. Don’t want to waste even a single gram of it.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:11 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,387,383 times
Quote:

I buy yeast at Costco or Sam's Club, last time I bought it at Sam's club it was $4.98 for two pounds. I think it's one of those things that we probably shouldn't order on Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes