Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:32 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I just dare you to find Bread Flour in the grocery store. I've been stopping at every grocery store.

With the Covid 19 situation, I've never seen such a lack of all purpose flour and yeast. It's like everyone's making their own bread. But bread flour has taken me 3 weeks to find on store shelves, and I bought 10 lbs. yesterday. Publix was holding the price very high--and I got the last 2 bags.
I haven't shopped for flour at a grocery store in about two years. There are plenty of online suppliers - either through Amazon or mills directly - who are stocked and ready to ship, some in a day or two, some in a week or two, and higher quality flour (organic, stone milled, sprouted) and, if you do careful research, at more competitive prices than grocery stores, especially if buying 10-25 pounds at a time (even 50 pounds). Earlier this week, I ordered 20 pounds from a mill in Montana through Amazon and it already arrived after only three days (Amazon must have had it in warehouse).

I use whole grain rye flour, whole grain wheat flour, whole wheat white, quinoa, teff, sometimes enriched white wheat/barley, oat, yucca, millet, and various legume flours (pea, bean). I do sometimes mix in a small portion of vital wheat gluten when using rye or non-gluten flours (no gluten intolerance in this household).

I both maintain my own yeast (current batch from rye flour) and use Sauf instant dry yeast (commercial yeast).

I usually keep it simple: salt, water, flour, yeast; if commercial yeast, then proofed in about 1/4 cup of almond milk - by now kids prefer it to Publix "French" bread -, if my own starter yeast (aka sourdough), then mixed in all together.

Sometimes I add seeds (caraway for rye bread, sesame, poppy, fennel) or walnuts. I don't add oil, except in the final stages when making flat breads such as pita, focaccia, pizza.

Lately, in addition to simple bread, I've been making potato foccacia, last time using quinoa flour. Next time - like tomorrow - I'm going to try it with teff flour and sweet potato.

I just ordered about four pounds of whole grain einkorn flour (triticum monococcum, aka farro piccolo), which has a sweeter flavor than common whole wheat (triticum aestivum) in an attempt to get the kids to eat more nutritious whole grain wheat bread; I've made spelt (farro grande) bread before and there is definitely a difference. We'll see.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Last edited by bale002; 05-15-2020 at 02:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I just dare you to find Bread Flour in the grocery store. I've been stopping at every grocery store.

With the Covid 19 situation, I've never seen such a lack of all purpose flour and yeast. It's like everyone's making their own bread. But bread flour has taken me 3 weeks to find on store shelves, and I bought 10 lbs. yesterday. Publix was holding the price very high--and I got the last 2 bags.
You can make perfectly good bread without bread flour, I do it all the time. The only difference is that bread flour has 11-13% protein while other flour typically has less, but Gold Medal unbleached has 10.5% and Pillsbury Unbleached has 10-11%. I try to keep AP and bread flour on hand but it's not always possible and the worst thing that will happen when using AP flour for bread is that it might be slightly more dense and not rise quite as much. If that's an issue buy a bag of vital wheat gluten, Amazon has it for around $6 a pound and add a teaspoon to two or three cups of flour

Old 05-15-2020, 12:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I haven't shopped for flour at a grocery store in about two years. There are plenty of online suppliers - either through Amazon or mills directly - who are stocked and ready to ship, some in a day or two, some in a week or two, and higher quality flour (organic, stone milled, sprouted) and, if you do careful research, at more competitive prices than grocery stores, especially if buying 10-25 pounds at a time (even 50 pounds). Earlier this week, I ordered 20 pounds from a mill in Montana through Amazon and it already arrived after only three days (Amazon must have had it in warehouse).

I use whole grain rye flour, whole grain wheat flour, whole wheat white, quinoa, teff, sometimes enriched white wheat/barley, oat, yucca, millet, and various legume flours (pea, bean). I do sometimes mix in a small portion of vital wheat gluten when using rye or non-gluten flours (no gluten intolerance in this household).

I both maintain my own yeast (current batch from rye flour) and use Sauf instant dry yeast (commercial yeast).

I usually keep it simple: salt, water, flour, yeast; if commercial yeast, then proofed in about 1/4 cup of almond milk - by now kids prefer it to Publix "French" bread -, if my own starter yeast (aka sourdough), then mixed in all together.

Sometimes I add seeds (caraway for rye bread, sesame, poppy, fennel) or walnuts. I don't add oil, except in the final stages when making flat breads such as pita, focaccia, pizza.

Lately, in addition to simple bread, I've been making potato foccacia, last time using quinoa flour. Next time - like tomorrow - I'm going to try it with teff flour and sweet potato.

I just ordered about four pounds of whole grain einkorn flour (triticum monococcum, aka farro piccolo), which has a sweeter flavor than common whole wheat (triticum aestivum) in an attempt to get the kids to eat more nutritious whole grain wheat bread; I've made spelt (farro grande) bread before and there is definitely a difference. We'll see.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Oops! I just posted without reading this, I mentioned vital wheat gluten too, but there are times when I just make a quick loaf with whatever AP flour i have on hand. I really enjoyed your post, I've never tried Einkorn that sounds interesting. I don't like Spelt at all and my husband lusts for Rye bread and I can't stand it lol

Old 05-22-2020, 01:03 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can make perfectly good bread without bread flour, I do it all the time. The only difference is that bread flour has 11-13% protein while other flour typically has less, but Gold Medal unbleached has 10.5% and Pillsbury Unbleached has 10-11%. I try to keep AP and bread flour on hand but it's not always possible and the worst thing that will happen when using AP flour for bread is that it might be slightly more dense and not rise quite as much. If that's an issue buy a bag of vital wheat gluten, Amazon has it for around $6 a pound and add a teaspoon to two or three cups of flour
King Arthur all-purpose flour has 11.7 percent protein and what I use for bread, sometimes adding their bread flour (12.7%) or their white whole wheat flour (13%) when the all-purpose is getting low or a recipe calls for them.

This is a good read about King Arthur and how they handled a 600% increase in sales almost overnight when the pandemic started and people turned to baking.
https://marker.medium.com/inside-the...hiGl6QBhlyxAKg

Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
I didn’t see percentage protein numbers on my two kinds of flour, but they did give protein amounts.

Per 1/4 cup:

Cortez Milling Co. Blue Bird (white) bread flour: 2 grams
Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat flour (which is bread flour unless it is whole wheat pastry flour): 7 grams

That is a BIG difference in protein content! Yet the white bread flour works fine as bread flour.

BTW, there are more calories in the whole wheat flour, too. Not surprising, since it includes the richer parts of the grain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes