Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
This looks great, what is the recipe, do you still use yeast as I thought beer was a substitute?
Yes, I still use yeast,Ingredients are:
3 cups flour(I use bread flour)
1/4 tsp Instant(or quick rise)yeast
3/4Cup plus 2TBSP water
1/4Cup plus 2TBSP beer
1TBSP vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
Procedure is the same, except I let it rise in a skillet over parchment paper and lift up the whole thing and drop in a dutch oven. It's a lot easier that way.
BTW, I've posted the recipe on a Japanese recipe site.

捏ã*ãšã«å‡ºæ¥ã‚‹ç¾ å‘³ã—ã„ã‚µãƒ¯ãƒ¼ãƒ–ã ƒ¬ãƒƒãƒ‰é¢¨ by nikigibson [クックパッド] 簡単おいしいみ゠“なのレシピが40万 品
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM

53 posts, read 174,755 times
I would love the recipe for the bread with beer and vinegar also...please

Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM

53 posts, read 174,755 times
Sorry I just found the recipe...lol....

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teardrop1955 View Post
Sorry I just found the recipe...lol....
All you do is just mix everything, let it rise for 12-18 hours. Gather the dough and knead 10-15 times, just get some of the bubles out. Let it rise again on top of parchment paper (smooth side up) for 2 hours, put in pre-heated (500)oven in a duch oven with lid(lift by parchment paper) and reduce heat to 425, bake for 30 minutes, remove lid, turn the pan 180 degrees, bake for another 20 minutes. Pretty much same as the original recipe.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I...but we just didn't care for either the texture or crust, compared to bread from dough that had risen and been kneaded several times. It was more of an 'OMG, we're out of bread!' recipe that I used when I had babies to take care of....
And that's pretty much the same for me. The crumb and texture compared to something made by someone who really knows what they're doing is pretty dismal. I don't have a mixer though (Yet. Oh Electrolux DLX, I will own you someday, oh yes...this I promise...I will own you), and I hate kneading by hand, so this fits my shoddy work ethic and my need for home made bread.

Can't wait to try it with beer.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I haven't made this particular one, but there was a recipe in a cookbook called - I think - Great Grains sold by Quaker a long time ago. I made it several times, mostly because it seemed easier than kneading, but we just didn't care for either the texture or crust, compared to bread from dough that had risen and been kneaded several times. It was more of an 'OMG, we're out of bread!' recipe that I used when I had babies to take care of. It was easy, everything stirred up in a bowl then into a couple of well-oiled bread pans.
This is not an 'OMG, we're out of bread!', because it has takes a long time to rise it. It's not like those mix-pour-bake bread. BTW, I make beer bread when I have no time.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,326,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
This is not an 'OMG, we're out of bread!', because it has takes a long time to rise it. It's not like those mix-pour-bake bread. BTW, I make beer bread when I have no time.
I did say it wasn't that particular recipe. And it took awhile to rise, because it used yeast, too - it was just stirred instead of kneaded. But I like kneading bread, it's a great stress-reliever. When my kids got big enough to stand by the table, I'd oil their hands and let them 'help' me, but I usually made the equivalent of 7 loaves at a time. They had a great time, I didn't have to worry about what they were doing while I didn't have an eye on them, and they were very proud of having helped!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:49 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,689 times
I want to try no knead Sourdough but I don't have a starter, going to try and make my own.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I want to try no knead Sourdough but I don't have a starter, going to try and make my own.
Yeah, this is absolutely not sourdough; we're using commercial yeast. I like the idea of having a sourdough starter, but it also seems a bit like keeping a pet.

I've often wondered if you could pick up some good sourdough yeast by bringing a tupperware of flour and water and just leaving it open while you ate a sandwich an Panera. Yeast are microscopic; and I bet they waft around the whole place though the ventilation system.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:27 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,326,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Yeah, this is absolutely not sourdough; we're using commercial yeast. I like the idea of having a sourdough starter, but it also seems a bit like keeping a pet.

I've often wondered if you could pick up some good sourdough yeast by bringing a tupperware of flour and water and just leaving it open while you ate a sandwich an Panera. Yeast are microscopic; and I bet they waft around the whole place though the ventilation system.
It's better - quicker - if you use potatoes and potato water with the flour. But it is like keeping a pet in a way, the starter has to be renewed once a week or it eventually dies. That's the ones kept refrigerated, if they aren't, then they have to be used daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes