Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 02:02 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

For those who like making homemade bread, this is easy and delicious.
Orange Marmalade Bread:

6 cups of flour
2 1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup of honey
1 cup rolled oats (not the instant kind)
2 cups boiling water
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1/3 cup luke warm water
1 tsp sugar

Put the rolled oat in a very large bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let soak until soft and lukewarm.

Next soak the yeast in water and sugar and let stand 5 minutes until yeast has grown. Whiole the yeast is growing start with other ingredients.

Add to soaked oats, honey, orange marmalade, salt and butter. By now the yeast has grown and is ready. Stir yeast into the above ingredients. Sitr in the first 2 cups of flour, then add 2 more cups. (I used my kitchen aid stand mixer for this, but you could do it by hand) The last 2 cups you knead in.Use a floured board or countertop and knead dough constantly folding it over and over.(about 15 strokes) If dough is sticky add more flour.The dough should be smooth an elastic. Shape into a mound and place in a greased bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. It will take several hours to rise. Should be doubled in soze a rise slightly above the bowl.

Cut down the dough anf divide in half. It will deflate. Divide the two halves and grease to bread loaf pans. Make sure dough has been pressed down evenly. Cover anf let rise again until dough rises above pans.

Put in a 325 degree oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Be careful not to bake too long. Bread is done when a hollow sound is heard when you tap the top. I use the back of a wooden sponn to test.

My mom has always said that bread always rises better on a warm sunny day.
I have made 8 loaves of this and froze them . I am giving them out as gift. This bread is great toasted with butter or jam.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
I do homemade bread - all by hand - and, as familiar as I am with the basics, this sounds like a good combination. The marmalade itself might rather mess up the budget (quite expensive where I live) but I think I can work on that using fresh oranges. I'll try to remember to get back to this thread after some experimentation!!!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I do homemade bread - all by hand - and, as familiar as I am with the basics, this sounds like a good combination. The marmalade itself might rather mess up the budget (quite expensive where I live) but I think I can work on that using fresh oranges. I'll try to remember to get back to this thread after some experimentation!!!

I grabbed this from the web years ago, and used to make it for my sister (a marmalade freak) whenever she came to visit. Makes one small jar.
No canning or pectin involved

1 medium navel orange (thinnest peel possible)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda and it works well.)
Wash the orange thoroughly.
Cut off both ends of the orange.
Cut the orange in half, cut each half in about eight sections.
Put the orange sections in the food processor and pulse until the peel in is tiny pieces.
In a medium saucepan place the processed orange, the water and the sugar and bring to a gentle boil.
Gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Let cool, then place in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
Refrigerate to store.
When it is cold it is ready to eat.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh, I forgot that foods can be more expensive in the island's and Hawaii. What about ordering it online and have it shipped? Let me know how it works with the fresh oranges. I'd be curious to know how it turned out.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:49 PM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I grabbed this from the web years ago, and used to make it for my sister (a marmalade freak) whenever she came to visit. Makes one small jar.
No canning or pectin involved

1 medium navel orange (thinnest peel possible)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda and it works well.)
Wash the orange thoroughly.
Cut off both ends of the orange.
Cut the orange in half, cut each half in about eight sections.
Put the orange sections in the food processor and pulse until the peel in is tiny pieces.
In a medium saucepan place the processed orange, the water and the sugar and bring to a gentle boil.
Gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Let cool, then place in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
Refrigerate to store.
When it is cold it is ready to eat.
I am going to try this Wednesday Thanks for posting it

Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I am going to try this Wednesday Thanks for posting it
It's so easy and the recipe makes 2 loaves.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
For those who like making homemade bread, this is easy and delicious.
Orange Marmalade Bread:

6 cups of flour
2 1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup of honey
1 cup rolled oats (not the instant kind)
2 cups boiling water
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1/3 cup luke warm water
1 tsp sugar

Put the rolled oat in a very large bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let soak until soft and lukewarm.

Next soak the yeast in water and sugar and let stand 5 minutes until yeast has grown. Whiole the yeast is growing start with other ingredients.

Add to soaked oats, honey, orange marmalade, salt and butter. By now the yeast has grown and is ready. Stir yeast into the above ingredients. Sitr in the first 2 cups of flour, then add 2 more cups. (I used my kitchen aid stand mixer for this, but you could do it by hand) The last 2 cups you knead in.Use a floured board or countertop and knead dough constantly folding it over and over.(about 15 strokes) If dough is sticky add more flour.The dough should be smooth an elastic. Shape into a mound and place in a greased bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. It will take several hours to rise. Should be doubled in soze a rise slightly above the bowl.

Cut down the dough anf divide in half. It will deflate. Divide the two halves and grease to bread loaf pans. Make sure dough has been pressed down evenly. Cover anf let rise again until dough rises above pans.

Put in a 325 degree oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Be careful not to bake too long. Bread is done when a hollow sound is heard when you tap the top. I use the back of a wooden sponn to test.

My mom has always said that bread always rises better on a warm sunny day.
I have made 8 loaves of this and froze them . I am giving them out as gift. This bread is great toasted with butter or jam.
This recipe makes 2 loaves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes