Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

I often have trouble with this cut of meat. It's either tasteless or very dry etc.

I went simple this time and did a dry rub the day before, wrap it and chilled it overnight. I brought it to room temperature. I took it out of the foil and wrapped it entirely in bacon. (no basting!) And then put it in my bbq over cold burner side and only put on one burger over to other side on low. Closed it and it maintained a perfect 225-240 degrees.

When it reached 150 degrees with a meat probe. I double wrapped it in foil with a bit of beef stock. I then put back on the cool side and forgot about it for 4 hours. (i opened it at 2 hour mark and rotated the meat) At the four hour mark, it was 197 degrees with a meat probe. This is where I often got impatient with it not reaching the 205 degrees mark and will turn it up. But I resisted the urge. It ended up another hour to get it to the 205 mark. Then I wrapped it in a towel and placed it in a cooler I had. I left it for another hour. (these were all tips from all over the net)

And when serving, yowza. Au just was delicious. Meat cut like buttah. The sliced meat had just a very slight tug when you pulled it apart with your fingers so not mush but not tough at all either.

So while it was a lot of waiting, it was pretty easy. Now to experiment with smoking chips. I didn't have any and was too lazy to run to the store on a holiday.

Have you had success with bbqing/smoking a brisket? What are your tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I have smoked a few briskets and always get decent flavor and juiciness. I am never satisfied with the texture; it's always a little tough. I have been told I need to let it sit longer. I've smoked mine as long as 10 hours. How long did yours take?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have smoked a few briskets and always get decent flavor and juiciness. I am never satisfied with the texture; it's always a little tough. I have been told I need to let it sit longer. I've smoked mine as long as 10 hours. How long did yours take?
I am actually not sure, I just checked it with a probe. I went completely by my temperature checks only. I also checked periodically to ensure it didn't go over 230 degrees on the bbq temp. I started around 11 and we ate around 8. So I am thinking actual cooking was 6 hours. And this was a half of a whole brisket. I cooked it till 150 degrees with a meat probe, wrapped it in foil and then cooked it till 205 degrees. It stalled around 190 for the longest time but I didn't turn up the heat as I usually do and rush it. I left it alone.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I cooked one this weekend as well. I smoke mine for an hour per pound. I use an electric smoker and put the wood chips on during the first two hours, then let the smoker do the rest at 225 degrees. This one I did, I stuck the probe in about an hour shy of the hour per pound and it was 195 and slid in easily, so I went ahead and turned it off and let it rest a bit in the smoker. I then took it off and put it in a deep foil pan, poured a Guinness over it and let it cool before putting in the fridge overnight. The next day, I let it come to room temp, started a charcoal fire with natural wood charcoal and heated it up on the indirect side. Got lots of raves at my Memorial Day party!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
...It stalled around 190 for the longest time but I didn't turn up the heat as I usually do and rush it...
The "stall" is the most important part of the BBQ process - that's when the connective tissues dissolve and the "mouth-feel" is created.

I still haven't cooked a brisket (don't eat much beef), but I've cooked dozens of pork butts.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Wife does our brisket in the oven. The secret is Bolner's Brisket rub. It's a local product and is also available in WalMarts in Texas. You can order it delivered to you. Simply trim a good amount of the fat then rub liberally with Bolner's Fiesta Brisket Rub then wrap in aluminum foil. Depending on size ..2-4 hours @ 325 degrees. If I thought for a minute smoking it on the grill would make it better I would. It's unbelievable from the oven. I don't mess with near perfection. If you like some smoke then throw it on the pit with some mesquite. We do smoke most of our grilled meats. I guarantee you'll like this rub.

Amazon.com: fiesta brisket rub

https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=brisketrub

If you want to do Skirt steak and make fajitas I highly recommend their Fajita seasoning.

https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=fajita

BTW, SIL cooks his brisket on the pit. I'll take ours any day of the week. Fall apart tender and taste to die for.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
...The secret is Bolner's Brisket rub...
Proper seasoning is just as important as proper cooking technique - if it tastes the way you like it, that's the way to cook it .

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-27-2014 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Proper seasoning is just as important as proper cooking technique - if it tastes the way you like it, that's the way to cook it .
We too rarely eat beef. But I have always wanted to try a brisket successfully. Pork I have no trouble with and is our favorite.

I love dry rubs and make them for everything, chicken, pork etc. I prefer that over wet marinade.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Here's my version and it comes out absolutely perfectly every time.

I make up my own dry rub depending on what I have around and let it set overnight in the 'fridge. Then I pop the whole brisket in a big oval roasting pan with a lid. Add a combination of water, apple juice, minced garlic, Liquid Smoke and Worcestershire sauce to almost cover. Preheat the oven to 150, heat the roaster pan stove-top to boiling, pop the lid on the pan and throw it in the oven for 8-9 hours (I usually do it overnight).

Remove from oven and let cool. Trim off excess fat (not all of it). Drain out the liquid in the pan, put the sliced brisket back in, douse well with your favorite BBQ sauce and pop it back in a 350 oven for 1/2 hour.

I guarantee this is one of the most heavenly tasting and juicy, tender briskets you'll ever taste. Given the time it takes I make a whole brisket as it freezes beautifully and having it right there in the freezer when I get the burning desire for BBQ is priceless!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I've smoked quite a few briskets. I've done low and slow, and hot(300-350) and fast.
The most important thing I can think of is patience. I don't go by time or temp cause I've pulled at 190 and 208. I go by the probe test. When a probe goes in easily it's ready, did take some practice though.

Plenty of k. salt and blk pepper with a rub of worchest sauce.

What is also good is to make burnt ends with the point. Separate the flat from the point, slice flat and eat. Chop point and add more rub, put in foil pan and back into smoker. Takes another 3-6 hrs but is very good. Renders more fat from the fatty point and gets just a bit crispy on outside. Packed with flavor from rub and more smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes