Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

I am a Mexican food fanatic, and the options here in South China are more or less dismal to nonexistent. I started doing a Taco Tuesday at a bar here because I have some awesome recipes for beans, sauces, etc honed over the years that's become a huge thing in the local expat community and adventurous Chinese.

The one thing I haven't been able to do is nail a really good rice recipe, like the rice that you get at a mission-style taqueria in the Bay Area - flavorful and succulent, but not too bold (bold meaning like the Old El Paso, etc "Mexican Rice" kits that are more like a side dish than an ingredient). I've tried a few different recipes that are good, and my patrons love it, but it's not what I have in mind.

If you guys have any recipes you'd like to share, please let me know!

Some pictures of the party, on a slower night:

And, the Tiny Taco Tuesday, where I served my students their first tacos (which are now their favorite food):

^ those two saved half of their taco to take home to their moms

^ kids fascinated by the ingredients, many of which I import myself and hard as hell if not impossible to find here

Last edited by 415_s2k; 02-28-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Yes, the El paso is way too tomatoey. The rice I've eaten is delicately flavored. This is very close to how I make it. Differences are, I add sliced zucchini instead of peas. I also use chipotles instead of serranos and a tiny bit of the Adobe sauce. But the recipe linked is probably more authentic than mine. You can also source the ingredients locally.

Mexico in my Kitchen: How to Make Mexican Style Rice / Cómo Hacer Arroz a la Mexicana

Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I use long grain rice. Saute 1 small onion, chopped, in 2 T. oil then add 1 C. rice. Stir until rice becomes a light golden brown. Stir in 2 tsp. of oregano and two minced garlic cloves. While that is still cooking, pour a 14oz. can of petite diced tomatoes into a 4 C. measuring cup. Add water or broth to make two cups and a bit more, maybe 1/4 C. more. Pour into the pan with the rice, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is dissolved and rice is tender, around 25-30 min.

This is just a recipe I made up, but it always turns out great. I often add leftover veggies or sometimes beans after the rice is cooked.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:20 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Forgot to add, I know you can use the Korean hot pot/stone pots to make this rice. (I do) Maybe there's a Chinese version to an earthenware or stone pot.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Old 03-03-2015, 01:41 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
That looks AWESOME!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I'm not sure about San Francisco, but in Southern California a dryer Mexican rice is preferred, usually without vegetables.

Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice |Favorite Family Recipes

This pic is just how I like it!

I love vegetables, but not so much canned, and not in my Mexican rice as they add to the unwanted goop factor.

I get very excited when I find a place in Texas that does the dry rice.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
That looks AWESOME!!!!!!!
Thanks Paka! It's a batch my SIL made a while back. His mother worked in school cafeterias and taught him. I've made it just right a couple times but no recipe. It's a matter of keeping the rice from being to sticky. The photo shows a batch he made with some tomato in it. We actually use tomato paste normally. Garlic, onion, peppers, cumin, chili powder, and tomato paste (white rice of course). I've never measured or written down a recipe. It tastes better than Rosario's, Nicha's or Don Pedro's usually. Those are the top Mexican places to me. I keep my veggies chopped finer than those in his batch (pictured).

Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
I used to make wonderful mexican rice - when in Texas - now that I am at 5000' elevation it never turns out right.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I used to make wonderful mexican rice - when in Texas - now that I am at 5000' elevation it never turns out right.
I would think whatever problems elevation causes could be avoided or corrected in some way... Don't give up.
I still have to get my methods down right to prevent it from being gummy or sticky. Mine turns out great at times and sticky or gummy others. Flavor is great though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes