Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

If we really want to get fancy and the veggie doesn't have to be unusual, half cook cauliflower so it is barely tender. Wrap the cauliflower pieces with cheddar cheese, butter, sauteed onions into filo dough. Cut a few steam vents, Bake until the filo is browned and crisp.

This will blow them away at the potluck or special dinner. It's a bit of work, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
lubby, I hope you don't mind, but I copied these on to recipe cards and have them in my recipe box now - they'll be coming up in rotation VERY soon! They sound WONDERFUL! Bet my son would LOVE them - especially the broccoli one. I have to admit, I really don't ever do "much" with vegetables on a regular basis - I pretty much save it for holidays. Now, though - maybe it's time to rethink. I could also use those as a main dish - it wouldn't kill anyone around here to not have meat one day a week, right? Along with some nice bread or rolls - hmmmm. Gotta give that some more thought!

And yes, I still have a recipe box with recipes on folded up pieces of paper, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, stuff written out by my mother, my grandmother, my godmother - stuff that I've come up with - I just prefer the format to a computer or tablet. It's almost like cooking WITH the person when you make a family recipe with a recipe card that they wrote out. But I'm weird that way, and oddly sentimental.
That's why we share our recipe's so others can try them out.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Horseradish mashed potatoes (works well with instant too if you use that)

1-2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes washed and peeled & cut into chunks.
1 stick of salted butter
1 cup milk or cream
2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup Engelhoffer creamy horseradish sauce or you can use the Wasabi sauce but use less than 1/4 cup and adjust the spice as needed.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and add cut potatoes.
after potatoes are cooked, mash them with a potato masher, and remaining ingredients and use an electric mixer to make them smooth and creamy or mash with potato masher until creamy and if you like some lumps.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 AM

74 posts, read 55,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Funny.I feel the same way about beets! Eating them makes me feel healthy. I can almost feel the vitamins at work.

I love (raw, never pre-made or pre-cooked) beet juice with apple OR orange, carrots, ginger and a bit of lemon. It has a beautiful color.
From a purely healthy point of view, it has everything... and I find it tasty, even though some people don't like it...

Last edited by tchek; 05-11-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes