Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

where you live?

I live in Ohio. But, I was brought up in the burbs of NYC. We called it "stuffing".

While I have not followed many of the culinary customs of my family of origin, there are several ones from which I will never depart.

One is my mother's simple stuffing.

A non-exact recipe goes as follows -

Sauteed mince onions, carrots and celery in lots of butter.

Browned Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing. Broth. Brown veggies and crumbs. Dot with yet more butter.

Bake until browned and slightly crispy.

Believe me. I have tried to add others things. From chestnuts to oysters. I have tried cornbread and eggs. Cranberries and apple.

My family likes it this way. Plain. The way that my mother made it, back in the late 50s. 60s. and 70s. Until 1980, when she died of cancer.

When I serve this stuffing, I feel as though a part of her is here with us, at the table. My children who never met her, love this stuffing. I do too.

Love you mom. You have your way. Part of you feasts with us every year.

Last edited by sheena12; 11-23-2015 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
That sounds delicious Sheena. And your post is one of the reasons the holidays are so special. I will be remembering some of my now lost relatives during this time too, with some of their recipes.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Pepperidge Farm here too..........onions, celery, butter, turkey broth, celery seed and poultry seasoning.

I think I add a bit more than my mother did.

Dad's side of the family went crazy with stuffings........yes.. plural............sometimes as many as four!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:03 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
My Nana's, my mother's and now mine. Pretty basic dressing. Van de Camps or Mrs. Cubbisons seasoned stuffing. onion, celery, butter, milk, one beaten egg, poultry seasoning, salt & pepper, , juice from boiling giblets, some from roasting turkey, sage. If more juice needed chicken stock. Put in casserole dish, bake.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
New England recipe, sausage, Apple, onions, pecans, parsley, corn bread, butter, sage. I useually cook them on a dish, I don't like them stuffed in the Turkey.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
sausage stuffing

I make my own sausage with ground pork ..... then mix a jalapeno & cheddar sausage with traditional stuffing (with melted butter) and some seasonings...

and its delicious!!

I stuff it in the bird and make sure it is cooked to 165f, same as the turkey

Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM

247 posts, read 254,311 times
Onions,bell peppers,and celery sauteed in butter
cornbread
chicken broth
cream of chicken soup
chicken liver and gizzards
toast
sage
poultry seasoning
beaten eggs

Old 11-23-2015, 08:19 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Cube a bunch white bread, toast but don't brown in the oven. Put them in my mom's old Tupperware cake holder that we lost the lid to about 30 years ago.

In a frying pan, melt one or two sticks of butter - this depends on how much bread you made.

Saute diced onions and chopped celery until soft. Let cool. Again, the amount depends on how much your making.

Put giblets in water or chicken stock or both with more onion that you don't have to dice and more celery (that has the tops and you don't have to chop) and simmer for a long time (or not, depending on how much time you want to spend on this nonsense.) This step should probably be first, but meh - I'm typing on my phone.

Take regular (not Italian) parsley and cut up the leaves with scissors. Do this over the big Tupperware. Mix it together.

Take the giblets out of the water and make husband chop them into thd size he wants.

Add the celery and onions to the bread and parsley, combine.

Add stock (the giblet water) and mix to moisten until it's as moist as you want.

Add Frya Kroddar. It's a swedish 4 spice blend that's a lot like poultry seasoning/sage/other common stuffing spice ingredients but different in that you can't even get it in Sweden anymore and I'm down to my last 3/4 of a bottle until it tastes right.

Add salt to taste.

Mix it all together.

Ask someone else to taste it to see if it "needs anything." Ideally this should be my dad, but an equivalent person will have to do, as he passed away in 1998, and even if he hadn't, he probably wouldn't have lived near you anyway.

Take half of it and put it in a turkey. If you do not have a turkey, a greased baking dish will do. This will be for people who don't want giblets.

For the people who do want giblets, which will only be my husband, have him add the cut up giblets to the other half that's left in the Tupperware, and put it n a greased casserole dish.

Then make them do the dishes because they just HAD to have giblets in their stupid stuffing. Make them put the Tupperware away too since it's on the really high shelf over the refrigerator.

I usually bake it at around 350 until it's done.

Yeah, sorry - that's about as specific as the recipe gets.

Last edited by Missy2U; 11-23-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
These sound so good! While I love my family recipe, I wish my peeps were more flexible.

But I guess I can try something new on New Years Day.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I never stuff the bird with dressing. Only thing that hole was made for was aromatics and that's if I don't spatchcock it.

Our basic sage breakfast sausage toasted sourdough dressing. Only Boudin sourdough and we make our own toasted cubes.

It's got the classic trinity of aromatics plus sautéed mushrooms, black olives, minced giblets, white zin and classic seasonings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes