Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's necessary to put baked goods in the oven only when it's reached the desired temperature. Casseroles...not so much. They're hot when they're hot.

Missy, get an instant read thermometer.
I have one. It's SHINY and looks so pretty in my mug-o-kitchen gadgets on my counter!!

Of course, I didn't use it - that would have made too much sense. I can be somewhat dense - much like my casserole - HA - at times.

I'm getting hopelessly out of practice in my cooking, kids. Sigh. I didn't have far to fall in the first place, but YEESH - this was embarrassing! Thank all of you for your kind words. Except for YOU, Bulldogdad. PLBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB I say - PLBBBBBBBBBBBBB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
eh, I cannot count on two hands the number of times a dish has not turned out, I would need many more fingers than 10 over the years and anyone who is a cook/chef who tells you they have never had a dish turn out bad is telling you a big fat lie. Way back when food network was just starting, Emeril, Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence ALL made mistakes on live television.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, I cannot count on two hands the number of times a dish has not turned out, I would need many more fingers than 10 over the years and anyone who is a cook/chef who tells you they have never had a dish turn out bad is telling you a big fat lie. Way back when food network was just starting, Emeril, Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence ALL made mistakes on live television.

Just ask me about my 'ketchup' pie.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Just ask me about my 'ketchup' pie.
Oh hayull no!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh hayull no!!!

And it was my best crust ever, never to be repeated.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I still remember the day I over-browned the chuck. I was burnt. I cut off the burnt parts, but it still didn't taste good. Lesson learned.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I still remember the day I over-browned the chuck. I was burnt. I cut off the burnt parts, but it still didn't taste good. Lesson learned.
The first pot roast I ever made - it was probably 4, 4.5 pounds. I asked my mom how to cook it. She told me to brown it, then braise it for around 45 minutes per pound. I browned it beautifully! But I couldn't even IMAGINE 45 minutes PER POUND - I figured she MUST have been wrong! I never remembered her cooking one that long (like I could have - I was in school when she would start dinner ). I forged on, and now I can definitively tell you that a beautifully browned 4.5 pound post roast is NOT done in only 45 minutes. Not per pound - TOTAL. I will say that my first husband actually tried to eat it - I think that was probably the nicest thing he's ever done during the entirety of the train wreck I call my first marriage.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I had family here over the holidays and baked a hash brown casserole for breakfast one morning. It's not something I normally make, but there was going to be a crowd and I wanted something easy to keep hot and "dishable." My grandma's hash brown casserole is always a favorite, but I didn't have her recipe and figured I'd find one just as good online. Gram's dish uses cubed hash browns and my husband picked up the shredded kind, but oh well, right? Well, the recipe did not call for thawed hash browns (or I completely missed it despite reading the recipe a few times) and I didn't know any better. That thing took forever to set up. Everybody sat down to eat and I set the beautifully golden casserole down to their eager faces ... then the center just squished juicily when I cut into it. Gross. I baked it for another 20 minutes. Still squishy. Luckily there was just fruit and sausage alongside and I popped the sausage into the warming drawer, but everybody was hungry and that dang thing was still squishy in the center. I finally cut it into squares and nuked it the rest of the way.

Not my finest meal. You have my sympathy.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
The first pot roast I ever made - it was probably 4, 4.5 pounds. I asked my mom how to cook it. She told me to brown it, then braise it for around 45 minutes per pound. I browned it beautifully! But I couldn't even IMAGINE 45 minutes PER POUND - I figured she MUST have been wrong! I never remembered her cooking one that long (like I could have - I was in school when she would start dinner ). I forged on, and now I can definitively tell you that a beautifully browned 4.5 pound post roast is NOT done in only 45 minutes. Not per pound - TOTAL. I will say that my first husband actually tried to eat it - I think that was probably the nicest thing he's ever done during the entirety of the train wreck I call my first marriage.
You have to at least like a guy who will bite into your disasters.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:07 PM

This thread is hilarious. Thanks Missy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes