Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I'm trying a new recipe tonight for crockpot pork tenderloin using Montmorency cherries. I found the recipe online but it had no reviews and I'm a bit nervous. I bought a big bag of these dried cherries at COSTCO months ago not knowing what I was going to do with them and only recently found them tucked away where I had forgotten about them. I've looked at lots of recipes and many include Montmorency cherry juice as well but I don't want to buy something else not knowing how to even use these.
I can use them in appetizers, baked goods and with savory. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Chicken Montmorency is good, but I've never had it prepared with dried cherries. Most recipes rely on having the juice to prepare a sauce.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
If you ever want to use Montmorency cherries for dessert, look up "Simca's Chocolate Cherry Cake." Simone Beck (Simca) is co-author of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Chicken Montmorency is good, but I've never had it prepared with dried cherries. Most recipes rely on having the juice to prepare a sauce.
Do you suppose if I soaked the dried cherries in some water I could get some juice? I like a recipe which calls for only 1/4 cup of dried cherries but 1 cup of cherry juice. I'm betting that juice is hard to find?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do you suppose if I soaked the dried cherries in some water I could get some juice? I like a recipe which calls for only 1/4 cup of dried cherries but 1 cup of cherry juice. I'm betting that juice is hard to find?
The juice is fairly easy to find (tart cherry juice). You can buy the cherry juice and reconstitute the cherries in that. That way, if you don't like the recipe, you can always drink the juice.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
.......... 1 cup of cherry juice. I'm betting that juice is hard to find?
I don't think it is difficult to find, but of you can't find cherry juice, you can substitute unsweetened pomegranate juice.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 AM

My adjusted recipe turned out DELICIOUS

Pork Tenderloin with Montmorency Cherries and Balsamic Vinegar

pork tenderloin- 1.5 lb-best to get meat to room temp
S&P
Oil
2-3 shallots or mild onion
3-4 cloves garlic or to your preference
1/2 jar (cup) cherry preserves
1/4-1/2 Cup dried cherries
3-4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar

1. two turns around the skillet with oil- while it gets hot S&P the entire piece of pork then brown all over in hot oil
2. transfer pork only to slow cooker or roasting pan if you want to do this in the oven- save oil
3. saute onions/shallots in remaining oil till translucent- add minced garlic for 1 minute-don't burn- using slotted spoon transfer to pork in cooker
4. turn off heat, wipe pan clean, mix preserves, cherries, vinegar, sugar and add to pork
5. cook on low for about an hour or until 145 degrees. (in oven this would probably be 350 for 20 minutes or half an hour)
6. as with all meats let it stand about 10-15 minutes tented with foil

Mine was done at 1 hour but I left it on warm for another hour cause I overestimated how long it would take. Juicy moist meat but Not a lot of pan juice but enough for our meal and the onions and cherries added some color and texture.

I'm sure this would work with any dried fruit and for extra sauce use apple juice, chicken broth or corresponding fruit juice to the dried fruit. (Heck even a can of fruit would work. We all know how pork and fruit work so well together.)

To make a thicker sauce, and while letting meat rest, transfer pan juices to same skillet you used to brown the meat and saute the onion. Add some cornstarch and water slurry and heat till it thickens to make a nice sauce.
(I like to keep dirty pans to a minimum.)
I served it with baked sweet potatoes and side salad and it was a hit. Pork seems to be on sale everywhere right now.

For a boneless pork loin roast (3-4 lbs) just increase preserves to 3/4 C, 1/2 Cup dried cherries , 1/3 Cup Balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup brown sugar and cook on low in slow cooker 3-4 hours. Until it reaches 145 degrees.

Last edited by no kudzu; 01-07-2016 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes