Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Taco bar with yum fixings and some beer! That would be my ideal dinner gathering
I would find that a lot of work, frying tortillas and fixing "yum fixings," and I'm not someone who would describe himself as "not a great cook."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 AM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I would find that a lot of work, frying tortillas and fixing "yum fixings," and I'm not someone who would describe himself as "not a great cook."
You can buy pre-made taco shells. The "work" would be frying a bunch of hamburger. You could use taco seasoning packets. Then shred lettuce, put out sour cream, bottles of hot sauce, and black olives. Buy and thaw frozen guacamole. Use pre-shredded cheese in a couple of different varieties, like cheddar and jack.

That's not how I make tacos, but it can be done that way for very little work.

If I did tacos, I'd buy and heat a big can of Rosarita refried beans and heat those. I'd also put out a tray of nachos, easy version. Layer tortilla chips (Jaunita's brand if you can get them), dab on little globs of canned chili (recommend Denison's), top with a generous amout or grated cheddar or jack and bake until the cheese is melted.

There are a lot of things that normally take some time and effort that can be made easily with prepacked ingredients. I'll confess to using Thai curry seasonings instead of making it all myself. Cook some meat, add 3 Tablespoons of seasoning mix and a can of coconut milk and all I have to do is cook rice and we have a really good meal with not a heck of a lot of work. No one around here is complaining.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:13 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I wonder what the OP made for the dinner party?

Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Probably too late but:

Chili from the crockpot...my preference is black bean/turkey. Chopped red onion, grated cheese for toppings.

Corn bread/muffins. Use a mix. Marie Callender's is moist/slightly sweet.

Coleslaw..buy the shredded stuff in the bag (2 colors cabbage, carrots), mix in a LITTLE light mayo, spoon of sugar, spoon of vinegar (white, rice, apple cider), salt/pepper, taste & adjust, let chill for 1 hr. before serving.

If you must have appetizers, chips & a good salsa.

If anyone wants dessert, have 2 different flavors of good ice cream, non-dairy if needed.

For drinks, beer or good quality lemonade.

Boom! You're done. The most important part of having people over for dinner is the people, not the food!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:51 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I wonder what the OP made for the dinner party?
Nothing yet! It was pushed off until March because of my husband's work schedule.
That's ok though, because it gives me time to practice.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:01 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Do what you know. Make your Hungarian goulash. What traditionally goes with goulash? A cabbage slaw? Rice?

Are you wine drinkers? If so get a couple bottles of cabernet.

And pick up some good artisan style crusty bread. Warm the bread in a 200 degree oven & serve with butter. Or you could slice it and butter one side and stick under the broiler on cookie sheet while you're watching it...to just lightly toast it. For family meals, I just put the warm bread on the table on a wood cutting board with a knife & butter plate to serve yourself.

For dessert several pints of ice cream & toppings & canned whipped cream for make your own sundae dessert. Have some sugar cookies too. Have coffee available.
I really like this idea.
I could serve a plate of veggies, dips, cheese and salamis first.
Have the goulash with crusty bread and butter, and a cucumber salad.
Ice cream and toppings for dessert.

I worried that goulash was too unusual, but it's just stew, really.

Thank you!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Google and make Giada's filet mignon with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar syrup.

Tastes like you know what you're doing, but stupid easy.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:26 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I can cook a couple of things: Spaghetti and Meatballs (not even using jarred sauce!) and a real Hungarian goulash soup. I thought of the goulash, especially since it's winter. Then I thought maybe I should make something more ordinary.
If you do a good goulash, do not be bashful about rolling it out to star for your guests! I do a killer gumbo, and frequently used that as a base when having friends over. Always went over well, and since I knew how to do it, I could vary it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Buy a 5 quart slow cooker for $20 to $30 at Walmart. You can cook a roast or pork or a whole chicken, I make my chicken with potatoes and carrots in it. I remove the skin, and bake it as a snack. I use rosemary and thyme and some salt, pepper, Morton SeasonAll and a cup of water to make the chicken and make white rice to serve with it. It cooks in about 6 hours on high.
Crockpots are great for less experienced cooks - you can do so much - it is so easy - and it always comes out good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes