Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times

Advertisements

I make my own chili. 2 lbs extra lean ground beef, 2 onions, garlic, one red bell pepper, 2lbs fresh tomatoes with the seeds squeezed out or 2 cans diced tomatoes, 3 cans kidney beans, beef base, coffee, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and a can of tomato paste added to thicken it after it's cooked all day on the low setting in the crock pot.

We always have it with cheddar on top and with cornbread on the side. I don't think the chili itself is an unhealthy meal. Depending on the amount of cornbread you eat with it, it becomes less healthy.

I don't mind putting canned beans into the chili but for some reason I think of canned chili as gross or unhealthy. I don't know why. My sister eats it and makes all kinds of meals out of it that sound good, but I just don't buy canned chili.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Chilli is basic and easy to make and not unhealthy IMO,
Core recipe=
Tomatoes
Ground beef
Kidney beans
Tabasco
in whatever proportions you like.Key step is cooking the meat and draining off the fat before adding it to the pot,Chilli becomes inedible if theres a layer of fat floating on the top of it.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Chilli is basic and easy to make and not unhealthy IMO,
Core recipe=
Tomatoes
Ground beef
Kidney beans
Tabasco
in whatever proportions you like.Key step is cooking the meat and draining off the fat before adding it to the pot,Chilli becomes inedible if theres a layer of fat floating on the top of it.
Sometimes even if you use lean meat and drain it, you'll end up with fat floating on top, but it's easy to skim off during cooking.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 AM

491 posts, read 375,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post

Why does chilli get a bad rep in the fitness world.
What is your take ?
chili is an excellent source of protein for people who work out. i think canned chili is what is often criticized, because of it's high sodium.

one little secret to making great chili is using beef bone broth simmered for hours. like any good dish, it all begins with the broth. making a chili with a homemade bone stock is significantly better than using supermarket canned or boxed broth.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I love chili, but being a yankee, mine has beans in it . Super easy veg'n chili with 3 kinds of beans, bulgur, peppers (hot peppers if I'm making it only for myself), onions, coffee, a bunch of spices, and whatever leftover veggies are laying around in the 'fridge.
What's 'yankee' got to do with it. Some of the best chili I had when I was in Texas, had beans in it and was made by people who never set foot in NE.

Coffee? In chili? Never heard of that before, but it sounds interesting...

My chili gets beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, molasses, spices, whatever hot peppers I can get my hands on (jalapeno, habanero, serano, etc.) or that happen to be growing in my garden or the kitchen, onions, bell peppers, and whatever meat is around, usually several different kinds- hamburger, chicken, veal, beef steak, deer, elk, moose...if there is meat that has been previously cooked but left over in the fridge, that goes in too, it's a great way to use up all that leftover stuff. Like Forest Gump's "box o' chocklits", you never know what you're gonna get...and some people might be happier not askin'.

That reminds me...the squirrel population 'round here needs some reduction...

Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Coffee? In chili? Never heard of that before, but it sounds interesting...
I put cocoa powder in mine. Sounds weird, but it's good.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 AM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I also make a "healthy" chili. Low fat ground turkey, fresh beans, roma tomatoes and spices. I used to use more fatty beef chuck, but now make it healthier.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I never knew exactly what was in chilli - so thanks for the info. It explains why I get sick whenever I try to eat it. Due to severe tree pollen allergies there are certain plant based proteins to which I am cross reactive. I discovered that I can't eat beans or avocado without throwing up within a few hours.
There are two types of Chili.

1: Chilly with beans. This is cheap low class chili.

2: Chili without beans, which a fantastic if made right.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There are two types of Chili.

1: Chilly with beans. This is cheap low class chili.

2: Chili without beans, which a fantastic if made right.
Then sign me up for cheap and low class!!!
Oh never mind. My husband says I'm already cheap and low class!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Chili is great. I prefer beans, and generally use turkey instead of beef, both from a grease-lowering perspective and from a budget perspective. I don't like ground turkey on its own, but it takes on spice flavorings beautifully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes