Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:32 PM

854 posts, read 1,705,123 times

Advertisements

Do you have a favorite recipe for this?

Do you put veggies and/or potatoes in there also?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
not a fan of white meat poultry, but what I do for any very lean meat in the slow cooker is add sautéed (in butter) onions, carrots, celery, - parsley if you have it-- and a dash of Worchester sauce, gives it a nice flavor....
you could also add potatoes/ sweet potato for a complete meal....

Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
White meat in a slow cooker = dry and yucky. I mean, DRY and YUCKY. Turkey breast is not meant to be cooked low and slow. I see zero benefit to using a slow cooker in this application and would not recommend cooking it this way.

IMHO, the easiest, yummiest way to do turkey breast is to: pat it dry, rub with butter/olive oil, season it (salt, pepper, whatever else you like), stick it in a HOT oven (425-450º-ish), then immediately turn the oven down to 350-375º. Depending on the size of the breast, it won't take much more than an hour, but start checking temp around an hour. Pull it out when the thickest part of the breast hits 150-155º (the temp will continue to rise as it rests). Rest for 15-20 minutes, tented with foil, before slicing. Perfection.

I, personally, would also add the step of dry or wet brining at the beginning, but if easy is what you're after, just season it and roast it for an hour or so. Done and done.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
White meat in a slow cooker = dry and yucky. I mean, DRY and YUCKY. Turkey breast is not meant to be cooked low and slow. I see zero benefit to using a slow cooker in this application and would not recommend cooking it this way.

Oh no! I have had turkey breast in slow cookers that was SOOOO tender and juicy. Chicken too. And also have cooked chicken in the oven at a low heat (250 for 5 hours) - falling off the bone tender, juicy, perfect).

Old 11-03-2016, 03:35 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
this is what I would do

split the turkey breast in half..

if its a "hotel" turkey breast it still has some backbone and wings attached....if it doesn't say hotel then its ust the breast

id pour a box of chicken stock in the cooker ( at the dollar store these are only .88

put the breasts in...season up and put on low a couple hours,,,then throw in your veggies for another hour or two...

if you are use to dry roasting this will be different,,,the skin wont be crispy ....
however the meat itself may fall right off the bone,,,be tender and juicy...

I cook boneless chicken breasts in my cooker,,,wait til they are on sale and buy a lot...
put them in the slow cooker on low for many hours til they shred easily,,,now I have shredded chicken,,,,

I will put this shredded breasts in Tupperware containers....and freeze..

they are good as is,,,,or I can flavor them with any sauce/flavoring I want when I warm in the microwave

put it in a sandwich.....or eat as it...

I love slow cookers!!!

Old 11-03-2016, 04:15 PM

854 posts, read 1,705,123 times
Thanks. What I don't like about turkey in the oven is its too dry. Then it has to be loaded with gravy to eat it. I want to try it in the slow cooker this Thanksgiving.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks. What I don't like about turkey in the oven is its too dry. Then it has to be loaded with gravy to eat it. I want to try it in the slow cooker this Thanksgiving.
be sure to give it a trial run....before you cook for many so you know exactly what to expect

Old 11-03-2016, 04:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
White meat in a slow cooker = dry and yucky...
Oh yeah. It's VERY disappointing.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:37 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:

IMHO, the easiest, yummiest way to do turkey breast is to: pat it dry, rub with butter/olive oil, season it (salt, pepper, whatever else you like), stick it in a HOT oven (425-450º-ish), then immediately turn the oven down to 350-375º. Depending on the size of the breast, it won't take much more than an hour, but start checking temp around an hour. Pull it out when the thickest part of the breast hits 150-155º (the temp will continue to rise as it rests). Rest for 15-20 minutes, tented with foil, before slicing. Perfection.

I, personally, would also add the step of dry or wet brining at the beginning, but if easy is what you're after, just season it and roast it for an hour or so. Done and done.

Thanks! Betty Crocker couldn't have said it better! I'm keeping this for reference!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
I am a very good cook. There's very little I cook that doesn't get raves. Having said that, I LOVE my slow cookers so much that I have 8 - yes, EIGHT.

I pick the one that has extra settings and put it on the lowest/longest cooking setting. Use a rub overnight - can be simple, some garlic powder, paprika, whatever you want. Then toss in the crockpot with stock or apple juice. My husband told me he didn't like turkey until I made it for him. I do still roast a turkey now and then - mine is always juicy because I use a covered roaster.

Potatoes from the other crockpot to go with, and my husband swears he's in heaven. Right now is sweet potato harvest time and I bought a huge box for $10 of the small ones! There are some in my crockpot right now. Not sure what we're having with them for lunch, but we're having sweet taters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes