Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times

Advertisements

Oatmeal cookies have a surprising amount of iron. Molasses cookies too.

But as others have mentioned making variation of a granola and fruit/nut bar would be the best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
When I've done this, and it isn't very often because I try and avoid sugar, I use Cup4Cup, oatmeal, unrefined brown sugar, and dark chocolate if I'm using chocolate, grass fed butter, and organic milk.

Cookies are bad for you but you can substitute smarter things and make them less bad.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,702,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
No-one wishes they ate more celery sticks on their deathbed.

Some ideas: homemade yogurt (the ones that was not successful enough to eat alone ) ground nuts (the nuts that were not roasted well enough to enjoy as nuts ), flaxseed meal...

I had a very unsuccessful cookie making when I used maple syrup instead of sugar. The cookies came out very soft, not crispy at all. That's how I learned sugar seems to be necessary, even though unhealthy.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Oatmeal cookies with dried fruit and nuts are about as good as it gets.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Back when my child was still in school, there was no such thing as a granola bar. I used to make him these cookies so he would have something healthy to snack on.

Wheels of Steel

1/2 C butter
1/2 C peanut butter
1 C brown sugar

1 egg
1 t vanilla

3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C wheat germ
1/2 C dry non fat milk solids
3/4 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda

3 T milk

1 C quick oats
1 C raisins
3 T sesame seeds

Preheat oven 375 F

Cream butter peanut butter and sugar

Beat in egg and vanilla

Combine dry ingredients and beat into butter mixture, add liquid milk

Add oats, raisins, and sesame seeds.

Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 12 minutes at 375. Cookies spread out as they bake.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love cookies. Like seriously love cookies. I've been called a cookie monster. I have this t-shirt. 'Nuff said.

https://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street.../dp/B01CXSF9KM

Now, I've tried to make those healthy cookies, those ones with applesauce instead of oil or whatever. They tasted like drywall. (Or what I assume drywall tastes like.) I made them again, but I added chocolate chips and dried cranberries. Still disgusting. I tried it a third time, with more chocolate chips. It didn't help. I tossed the rest of the applesauce, ate the chocolate chips from the bag, and called it a failed experiment.

I'm not a baker. I just don't enjoy the process. So when I want to make homemade cookies, these are the ones that I make. You don't even need a mixer (I don't have one) -- I've recently done it a couple of times just with a spoon and it works perfectly. They're a very forgiving cookie. Are they healthy? No, but they're a good treat and very surely not the worst-for-you cookies.

Melting Moments II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Those look good and easy. You have that shirt and I want this mug, lol. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXIRP6A...a-321251879981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I make an oatmeal bar that I love (YMMV), and add fruits, nuts, things like flax and chia seeds, protein powder.

I recently made a zucchini loaf that was a very pleasant surprise.... no flour but used almond "flour", it was super dense and moist. Great if you are on a low carb...
I make a really good chocolate zucchini bread...yum.

I would also go with an oatmeal cookie. Cut back on the sugar add some craisins and either white chips or chocolate chips. Also try some diced apple.

These look good and healthy:
ZUCCHINI-OAT COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Zucchini-Oat Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies - Love to be in the Kitchen

Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
How to make cookies nutritious - serve them with a side of nutritious food. The ingredients used in cookies are not known for their nutritional value. Broccoli is a food high in nutrients but have no place in a cookie.

I think it's nice that people think eating an oatmeal cookie with raisins and nuts is somehow better than eating a chocolate chip cookie - it really doesn't make much of a difference. Both versions have more sugar that we should be eating on a daily basis.

It's similar to those folks who want to make their veggie burgers taste like sirloin - nope. The best solution, imo, is to eat a cookie that I love every once in a while, as a treat, instead of making some dry-wall biscuit tasting hockey puck cookies that I can 'guiltlessly' eat every day.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
How to make cookies nutritious - serve them with a side of nutritious food. The ingredients used in cookies are not known for their nutritional value. Broccoli is a food high in nutrients but have no place in a cookie.

I think it's nice that people think eating an oatmeal cookie with raisins and nuts is somehow better than eating a chocolate chip cookie - it really doesn't make much of a difference. Both versions have more sugar that we should be eating on a daily basis.

It's similar to those folks who want to make their veggie burgers taste like sirloin - nope. The best solution, imo, is to eat a cookie that I love every once in a while, as a treat, instead of making some dry-wall biscuit tasting hockey puck cookies that I can 'guiltlessly' eat every day.
I don't think one cookie has more sugar than I should be eating on a daily basis. Maybe five cookies

Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Maybe so but oats are much healthier than white flour. And to make it healthier you can cut back on sugar and replace the oil/butter with applesauce or pumpkin puree. Some of the cookies actually taste pretty good. No not like a chocolate chip but still good.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 AM

Here is another one that looks good.

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies
Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies {Recipe Video!} | Amy's Healthy Baking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes