Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 PM

155 posts, read 132,646 times

Advertisements

Prefer the basic standard breakfast style country biscuits recipe ... but if you have something else to share / offer ... please feel free to chime in.

I make some pretty good sausage gravy and typically opt for the crappy tube pillsbury biscuits as they are so fast simple and convenient.

I know making biscuits from scratch is pretty basic stuff. I want to try a few differant recipes to settle in on one I can work at to perfect for my future breakfast's

thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I'm a southern biscuit connoisseur, and I encountered the absolute best southern biscuit at Callie's, in Charleston, SC. I located the recipe online, and now we make this incredible biscuit at home. The secret ingredient: cream cheese.

Here's the recipe for these wonderful biscuits...

Callie's Biscuit recipe

Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/reci...recipe=1432107

Handle biscuit dough with a light hand.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Not necessarily the best, but we keep Bisquick around for three reasons: biscuits, dumplings, and pancakes.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Not necessarily the best, but we keep Bisquick around for three reasons: biscuits, dumplings, and pancakes.
What if any is the difference of Bisquick to just regular flour ?

I have also used Bisquick in making pancakes years ago

Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
I don't roll out or cut my biscuits, I just scoop up a spoonful of dough and place it on the baking tray. The less the dough is handled, the lighter and flakier they will be. Yum.

I think the difference between flour and bisquick is that bisquick has fat and leavening in it already. Probably salt also.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I'm a Wyoming native married to a Georgia girl.... I'm not sure I ever ate a "biscuit" while growing up, but being the cook of the family, and living out west again after our wedding, I had to learn. I follow the White Lily self-rising flour recipe.

Apparently I've gotten good enough that my mother-in-law said that mine were the best she's ever had, including from her mother. While I follow the recipe, I'm not Exact with my measurements.... and I use butter-flavored crisco. The one thing that really seemed to take mine to a higher level was using a heavy ceramic bowl and chilling the flour in that bowl. The cold bowl really helps (at least here in normally-hot Georgia).

I do roll and cut/stamp my biscuits, just not a fan of "drop" biscuits.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:05 PM

I use unbleached flour. Bisquik uses bleached. I prefer using my own ingredients for more control.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I don't roll out or cut my biscuits, I just scoop up a spoonful of dough and place it on the baking tray. The less the dough is handled, the lighter and flakier they will be. Yum.

I think the difference between flour and bisquick is that bisquick has fat and leavening in it already. Probably salt also.
I thought one of the processes was 'folding' the dough back over itself and rolling it out again and then repeat that step multiple times to give the biscuits that 'flakey - layered' feature?

Not slamming your style ... that's why I made the thread to gain insight into the many differant ways they are made.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
I thought one of the processes was 'folding' the dough back over itself and rolling it out again and then repeat that step multiple times to give the biscuits that 'flakey - layered' feature?

Not slamming your style ... that's why I made the thread to gain insight into the many differant ways they are made.
Like boiling eggs and making rice, there are multiple ways to make biscuits. I do prefer rolling gently and folding the dough as you mention. I don't cut them though; I form them. But plenty of people make drop biscuits, and there are recipes for them which are easily found in cookbooks or online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes