Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

I got up at 5 AM this morning and started making stuffed cabbage rolls. They have been on my mind and I even bought some of the stuff I would need to make them. I decided to use ground lamb, for a change from ground beef which I usually use. I stayed with rice to mix in the stuffing, altho I did find a Greek recipe that called for bread crumbs instead of rice. (I had left over cold rice and it seemed a shame to waste it.)

I bought a savoy cabbage.....I have always admired how pretty they are....but have in the past stuck with more pedestrian cabbage, like you would use in a slaw of corned beef boiled dinner. The Savoy is certainly different and more fancy.'

I made a sauce of caramelized onions and thinly slice cabbage (from the center of the cabbage head) and tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, stock, wine and lemon juice and sugar to taste. I added cilantro to the stuffing and to the sauce.

I will cook it for about 3 hours, in the oven, this afternoon.

I think it will be good. I hope so......I have been almost dreaming about cabbage rolls.

I first had stuffed cabbage made in a Russian Jewish style....more like balls wrapped in cabbage leaves simmered for hours, in a lemony tomato sweet and sour broth; it was cooked on top of the stove in a covered pot...dutch oven style and served in bowls with a good seeded rye bread for dunking.

I looked for recipes for stuffed cabbage in this thread but didn't find any....how do you make stuffed cabbage rolls?

Last edited by elston; 10-06-2013 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 05:49 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Here's my favorite way to make them.

CABBAGE ROLLS
A favorite in my family for it’s wonderful flavors and “sopping” sauce.

1 large head green cabbage (tightly packed)
1 lb. ground beef
½ lb. ground pork (not pork sausage)
1 egg
1 med. yellow onion, chopped fine
1 cup white rice (uncooked)
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 ½ large can tomato juice
1 large jar good quality sauerkraut
Sour cream

Bring large pot of water to boil. Core cabbage head and drop (gently) into boiling water. As leaves wilt (5 minutes), start pulling them off and set aside. When the leaves start to get smaller than your hand, you should have enough. Keep the rest of the cabbage to line the pot.

Mix meat, egg, rice, onion and salt together. (I use my hands; it’s easiest for thorough mixing.)

Line the bottom of the cooking pot with leftover cabbage leaves (prevents burning).

Take a cabbage leaf and trim the rib with a paring knife. Don’t cut through it, just slice off the thick part so it will roll better.

Lay the leaf down, rib end towards you. Put a fistful of meat towards the end of the rib. Fold the bottom of the leaf over the meat; fold in the sides and rolls to end. Place seam side down in pot.

When you have completed a layer, cover with a cup or more of sauerkraut. Follow this procedure until you run out of leaves OR you are no more than 2” from top of pot. (They swell as they cook.) Pour tomato juice over to cover it well. Remember that a lot of the juice will be absorbed into the rice. I add some more juice as I go to make sure I have lots of sauce.

Bring to simmer and cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Test one roll to be sure the rice is cooked.

Serve with lots of sour cream and French bread for sopping.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Thank You Sayulita for sharing your family tradition....it sounds delicious.....I thought about adding some left-over sauerkraut to my pot....but held back. I bet that is delicious.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
I wish hubby didn't hate cabbage, if not I would certainly try either recipe.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Oh man, now I want some!!

Here's the way my Mom and Grandmom always made them:

Polish Stuffed Cabbage or Gołąbki (pronounced “guhwumpki”)

3 lb raw hamburger
1 cup cooked rice
3.5 lb cabbage
2 med onions, raw, chopped
8 oz. canned tomato sauce
2 eggs
salt & pepper
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
Bacon or shortening

• Core cabbage slightly and boil enough to remove outer leaves (save these). Repeat until you’ve removed all leaves.
• Put bacon or shortening in bottom of a large pot.
• Line the pot with the outermost leaves.
• “Shave” the spines of the remaining cabbage leaves with a paring knife.
• In a large bowl, mix hamburger, onions, eggs, salt & pepper
• In a small bowl, mix vinegar, tomato sauce, sugar
• Spoon some of the sauce mixture in the pot, on top of the leaves.
• Spoon meat mixture into separate leaves, rolling them up (fold sides in first on top of meat, then roll.
• Place filled leaves in a layer in the pot, with the “open end” of the rolls on the face down.
• Spoon more of the sauce mixture on top of the rolls.
• Keep layering rolls and sauce until you are done.
• Bring to a boil, then simmer on lowest heat for 3 hours, covered.
• When done, remove rolls from pot to a serving dish.
• Save all of the juice/sauce from the pot and put in a gravy boat. Pour a little of this mixture on top of the stuffed cabbage on your dinner plate.

Should have enough to serve a family of 6, and have some left over.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:24 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
PA (Pittsburgh area at least) - they are called Pigs in a Blanket (even if made w/ground beef, LOL)

Old 10-06-2013, 05:39 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I made mine with a mixture of ground turkey and ground pork, and added cooked quinoa instead of rice. It was really good.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Dang it guys, we need to figure out a way to be able to share this food we talk about, not just the directions on how we make it... Yeah, I know, dream on. Sure wish I had a cabbage roll right now to snack on.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM

57 posts, read 112,439 times
This is your basic recipe for stuffed cabbage that always brings me compliments. I bake this recipe in the oven rather than cooking it stove top. I line my pan with the larger cabbage leaves. I also cover the cabbage rolls with additional leaves. This way the actual cabbage rolls stay moist and don't get burned. I do parboil my cabbage, cutting a few leaves off at a time as they cook. I do add 1/2 to 3/4 cup tomato juice to the meat. This is something my Polish mother always did. I do make a different sauce. After all the work of making homemade stuffed cabbage rolls, I find it hard to pour tomato soup on top. For one pound of meat, I mix an 8oz. can of tomato sauce, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. I mix well and pour over cabbage rolls. Sometimes I double the sauce if I want a lot extra. I often serve these with noodles, so it is nice to have plenty of sauce to pour on the noodles.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Dang it guys, we need to figure out a way to be able to share this food we talk about, not just the directions on how we make it... Yeah, I know, dream on. Sure wish I had a cabbage roll right now to snack on.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes