U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM
 
82 posts, read 42,730 times
Reputation: 155

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I recently discovered my love for thai food however the recipes I have found on pinterest dont taste nearly as good as they do in the restuarant. Does anyone have any great thai recipes theyd love to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,867 posts, read 5,763,561 times
Reputation: 30108
importfood.com

sells Thai food and has recipes too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,025 posts, read 18,895,834 times
Reputation: 24033
Part of the problem with making thai food taste like what you get in restaurants is the ingredients. There are several with are critical to make thai food, but are hard to find locally. (no, the dried stuff just doesn't do the trick)

Galangal (though in a pinch, I'd agree that ginger is an okay substitute)
Kefir lime leaf (if you have an Asian grocer, you might find these in the freezer section. No lime juice or zest isn't a substitute.)
Lemongrass (more and more regular grocers are carrying this. Nothing from a fresh lemon or dried lemongrass is an acceptable substitute)
Thai basil (no replacement, but it's easy to grow at home)
Thai chile's - these CAN be substituted with Serrano peppers. Use more if using Serrano.

Yes, you can make thai food without this stuff, and it will taste good. But it will not taste like you are expecting it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Reputation: 8950
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieCoyle View Post
Hey everyone! I recently discovered my love for thai food however the recipes I have found on pinterest dont taste nearly as good as they do in the restuarant. Does anyone have any great thai recipes theyd love to share?
Do you have a nearby Lidl? If so, they have jars of lemongrass (not dried) right now mixed into what appears to be mostly Chinese ingredients in the ethnic food of the week display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:41 PM
 
3,243 posts, read 1,313,373 times
Reputation: 6517
If you're near an Asian market, you can see if they carry Maesri brand curries in small cans (about the size of a small cat food can). Just follow the instructions on the outside and while it's a limited amount of Thai dishes, they are so authentic and delicious you won't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,025 posts, read 18,895,834 times
Reputation: 24033
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you're near an Asian market, you can see if they carry Maesri brand curries in small cans (about the size of a small cat food can). Just follow the instructions on the outside and while it's a limited amount of Thai dishes, they are so authentic and delicious you won't believe it.
Great advice - and I'm glad you suggested it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 06:14 AM
 
Location: SE Florida
1,199 posts, read 293,570 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Part of the problem with making thai food taste like what you get in restaurants is the ingredients. There are several with are critical to make thai food, but are hard to find locally. (no, the dried stuff just doesn't do the trick)

Galangal (though in a pinch, I'd agree that ginger is an okay substitute)
Kefir lime leaf (if you have an Asian grocer, you might find these in the freezer section. No lime juice or zest isn't a substitute.)
Lemongrass (more and more regular grocers are carrying this. Nothing from a fresh lemon or dried lemongrass is an acceptable substitute)
Thai basil (no replacement, but it's easy to grow at home)
Thai chile's - these CAN be substituted with Serrano peppers. Use more if using Serrano.

Yes, you can make thai food without this stuff, and it will taste good. But it will not taste like you are expecting it to.
If you are making your own Thai curry pastes, you will also need shrimp paste, dried/fresh mild and hot chilis. The red, yellow and panang pastes I make use shrimp psate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top