Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm one of those cilantro-tastes-like-soap people! I thought of adding a little mexican oregano, but it didn't need it, with those super fresh garden vegetables.

Chiles toreados and jalapeno corn bread are good ideas.

I've had delicious s h i s h i t o peppers at a sushi place, but I've never had a habanada.

I'm one of those sometimes. I often wonder is it that cilantro varies widely bunch to bunch or is it my taste buds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 01:41 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm one of those cilantro-tastes-like-soap people! I thought of adding a little mexican oregano, but it didn't need it, with those super fresh garden vegetables.

Chiles toreados and jalapeno corn bread are good ideas.

I've had delicious s h i s h i t o peppers at a sushi place, but I've never had a habanada.
I've never had a habanada either. I read about them and asked DH to grow some for me. It tastes like a habanero but without the heat. We'll see. . .

Habanada: The Unmasked Habanero | Cornell Small Farms Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm one of those sometimes. I often wonder is it that cilantro varies widely bunch to bunch or is it my taste buds?
The thing with cilantro often has a genetic basis that makes it taste like soap. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/d...-surprise-you/ I feel badly for you folks that hate this delicious (and, IMHO, necessary herb for Mexican food) herb. But you're in good company - both Julia Child and Martha Stewart hate the stuff.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:51 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The thing with cilantro often has a genetic basis that makes it taste like soap. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/d...-surprise-you/ I feel badly for you folks that hate this delicious (and, IMHO, necessary herb for Mexican food) herb. But you're in good company - both Julia Child and Martha Stewart hate the stuff.

The curious thing is I've had dishes laced with cilantro at time that I've enjoyed and other times it's UGH!, the soap thing. Seems like the taste equivalent of the yanni/laurel thing..

Last edited by burdell; 06-03-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 03:51 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Is there a way to pickle jalapenos that is easy? I got a couple that are are pretty small (gave away the larger) - at this point in my life.... I don't have the energy for energy-intensive dishes (although I had them at at 4th get together and she sliced super thin, dipped in ...... and fried them up) super yummy but.... I had thought about some kind of salsa (from my tiny tomatoes that don't have much taste - and I don't like cilantro either. Long story but I don't know where my blender is and I like pureed over chunky salsa.... Idea or offer them up to neighbors?

Old 08-20-2021, 04:02 PM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
My family adores jalapeno cheddar corn bread. Just use your favorite cornbread recipe and add some diced jalapenos and a generous handful of grated cheddar. Bake as usual.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
We do a decent sized salsa party to celebrate the harvest.
It’s nothing fancy just a bunch of us jarring up a bunch of different Pico de Gallo mixes, drinking wine (I do ice tea ) and eating good BBQ.
It’s a good time and people even ask to attend.

About what to do with peppers?
I really don’t know anything other than they are great on the sides of lots different meals.

Good luck to ya.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:17 PM

Hmmm - not really any help

Old 08-20-2021, 06:02 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Pickled jalapeno, along with carrot, and daikon are my stable comdiments. They add insane spice and flavor to just about any food.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Pickled jalapeno, along with carrot, and daikon are my stable comdiments. They add insane spice and flavor to just about any food.
My question was: can I pickle them?

Old 08-20-2021, 07:39 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I've been watching some episodes of Dinner, diners, and drive thrus (something like that) with Guy Fiero and practically once a week, at least, someone is using jaleapeño in their recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes